Someone familiar with Tokai Tweed Champ (1981) ?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteKay

Reaction score
Hi,

I was just wondering if someone is familiar with the Tokai Tweed champ , made in 1981

Amp like this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=120201959402

What i'm looking for is a vintage Fender sound, like in the ' 50 / 60' s
to play at home. it's a tranistor amp, so I don't ecpect to much of it, maybee i'm wrong ;)

Peter

edit, my gear:
Tokai Goldstarsound ('62 reissue)
bacchus '57 reissue

I haven't ever played through one, but apparently they sound pretty good! I wouldn't expect the full Fender Valve Experience though!

I think it's somewhere on this forum someone built a valve chassis to fit the Tokai cabinet.

I have a friend who uses one (although I believe he swapped out the speaker) with a Breezysound and makes it sound fabulous. I wouldn't like to say how much of that is the amp and how much his playing, though...

Thank you guys!
After all, I've bought a Fender Princeton Reverb (SF) from 1975.
I like it very much.

PeteKay said:
Thank you guys!
After all, I've bought a Fender Princeton Reverb (SF) from 1975.
I like it very much.

Nothing like a tube amp, eh? Nice as the Tokai Champ is, it's all solid state electronics.

Since my last post I picked up a Tokai champ, it's not a tube amp as you say but the clean sounds are amazing, you would think there were valves hidden in there. Suprisingly loud too, and cuter than a cute thing!

JohnA said:
Since my last post I picked up a Tokai champ, it's not a tube amp as you say but the clean sounds are amazing, you would think there were valves hidden in there. Suprisingly loud too, and cuter than a cute thing!

You know, I had a look and just found that I have a little 80's Fender Japan solid state amp - Squire 15 - and it's a great sounding amp. I haven't used it in awhile but I've had people say that they were sure that it was a tube amp. Might need to dust it off and take it for a drive again.

Latest posts

Back