Amp Problem Frustrations

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johntimber

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a Vox VT100 (Valvetronix) and, as most of you already know, they're pretty complicated amps. They've got all the different amp models, effects, etc. built in, much like a computer. Unfortunately, this makes them very unreliable. More gizmos = more problems. At least that's how it seems... It was having serious volume issues and a very bad crackly sound, so I took it into a local shop about a month or two ago (they're official Vox dealers). They did what anyone would do--assume it's the tube and replace it. Viola! And it worked--at first. Unfortunately, it's back to the same old problems again. It went back and forth--working, then not working, etc., but now it's not working at all. I'm highly positive this isn't the tube anymore.
To be honest, the reason I'm posting this is the fact that I simply feel stupid and cheated. I mean, I was pretty ignorant buying this thing a couple years ago. For a modeling amp, it actually does sound really good--that's the reason I bought it. But, looking back, I've spent around $850 on this amp ($650 for amp, $60 for footswitch, $75 for a 1-year warranty that was useless, $40 to get it re-tubed, and a bunch of tax). And now, Vox has come out with a new model, so these sell new for $500, meaning I'd be lucky to get $350-400 for it used--not even considering the fact that it doesn't work. So, I really just wanted to rant! Now what do I do?!?!? I was just sucked into it's great tube-like sound and versatility. But to think I could've bought a used Fender tube-amp with money to spare...

Any help will be apprecited.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:
https://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15656
Business video company

Thank you.

Difficult to be of a good advice here. But I wil try it anyway.

Marketing is a beech sometimes, and you should ignore the mairmaids songs of them.

My advice would be to have this sh_t repaired and to sell it to sombedy that will pay a decent price (not easy, but it could be possible).

Then, to go for a true amplifier that is made simply and corretly. I, for myself, uses clones of differnt builders. VSA for the fender ones, Rockitt Retro's for the Marshall ones, and one chinese Vox AC15 for practicing at my mother's house when I'm going to visit. I also use old amplifiers, like the Marshall Major 200, or the 1959 SLP. Those are great sounding amps, but have tons of powers and are limited in the end application.

The advantage of a clone, is that the brand-freaks will not go after them. Making them a decent alternative on the used market. A 18w TMB clone, for example, comes around in between 450 to 700 euros ; this makes them cheap, in general very correct sounding, and sturdy in time. The same goes for many other things. The very popular Marshall 1987 or JTM45 clones are lurking around 600 to 800 euros. This isn't that big of a budget.

Another advantage is that a correct clone, will always have a value. Because lovers will always be tempted by those amplifiers that are, in a way, basically impossible to kill if maintained and treated properly. At the other side, the price of chinese/korean/malaysian plastic monsters are falling hard very rapidly. Because nobody wants to buy cr_p. Me or you, we are all the same.

I would presume, in the US, that those prices will even be lower, because of the sheer possibilities of your market. You have new clones, coming out the bench for 1'200 $, making the sell prices probably even more attractive.

So this would be my idea. Simplicity and Quality.

It's a commonly done mistake.

Guitar amps are analogic machines, needing a competent maker. We are living in the digital era. So good amps are rather niche products. Cheap and industrial is now the trend.

Find the sound you like the most, and find a good cloner. He will make you an amp for a good price, it will looks steep in regard to the chinese ****, but it's actually the difference between taking cheap shortcuts and making things right.

Also, don't forget that some builders did mix the top popular sounds in their amps. Example would be Carol Ann, that made a first channel that was fender twin type with a marshall channel two, full analogic and simple, but they are others.

Don't forget you can ask us if you have a doubt on what you are buying.

I'm sorry to hear about your amp troubles.

Despite common belief, digital circuits aren't inherently unreliable or prone to breaking. Consumer ptoducts are however built to a price point. I would be very surprised if any of the digital circuits are broken. From your description it sounds like the problem started intermittently and became gradually worse? Digital circuits are often digital even when they break, in orher words, they either work or they don't.

Is it just the sound that goes out or is the amp completely dead? If it's sound only my best bet would be input jack, speaker cable or any of the pots (not related to model selection).

If it goes completely dead I'd say you probably have a power input problem or a cold solder on the main circuit board.

It's fixable and probably for quite little $ if you know where to look.

johntimber said:
Hi,

I've got a Vox VT100 (Valvetronix) and, as most of you already know, they're pretty complicated amps. They've got all the different amp models, effects, etc. built in, much like a computer. Unfortunately, this makes them very unreliable. More gizmos = more problems. At least that's how it seems... It was having serious volume issues and a very bad crackly sound, so I took it into a local shop about a month or two ago (they're official Vox dealers). They did what anyone would do--assume it's the tube and replace it. Viola! And it worked--at first. Unfortunately, it's back to the same old problems again. It went back and forth--working, then not working, etc., but now it's not working at all. I'm highly positive this isn't the tube anymore.
To be honest, the reason I'm posting this is the fact that I simply feel stupid and cheated. I mean, I was pretty ignorant buying this thing a couple years ago. For a modeling amp, it actually does sound really good--that's the reason I bought it. But, looking back, I've spent around $850 on this amp ($650 for amp, $60 for footswitch, $75 for a 1-year warranty that was useless, $40 to get it re-tubed, and a bunch of tax). And now, Vox has come out with a new model, so these sell new for $500, meaning I'd be lucky to get $350-400 for it used--not even considering the fact that it doesn't work. So, I really just wanted to rant! Now what do I do?!?!? I was just sucked into it's great tube-like sound and versatility. But to think I could've bought a used Fender tube-amp with money to spare...

Any help will be apprecited.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:
https://www.jbonamassa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15656
Business video company

Thank you.

Sounds just like a bad potentiometer track to me. Buy a can of spray switch cleaner lubricant (electronics shops have them) remove the chassis from the box so that you can get at the potentiometers and find an opening into to pot to spray. Whilst spraying rotate the pot back and forth. Do all pots whilst it's out. Clean the valve base sockets too.

Latest posts

Back