New CITES Regulation for all Rosewood Dalbergia genus

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen this in a guitar mag...great news I guess.This rosewood regulations are valid since 1992 but guitars that are dozens of years older are illegal now...95% of this wood has been abused for crappy furnitures but they f u c k guitar players for the fretboards...sick in the brain

the below letter from US Fish & Wildlife Service I believe explains quite a bit concerning the new regulations, as far as they apply to US citizens

https://www.fws.gov/international/pdf/letter-appendix-III-timber-listings-november-2016.pdf

could be different in other countries? don't know

will be interesting to see how these new regulations for importers & for exporters shapes up over the coming months

Cocobolo

http://www.stewmac.com/Materials_and_Supplies/Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/Electric_Guitar_Bodies_and_Necks_and_Wood/Cocobolo_Fingerboard_Blank.html?lac_guid=2db2d63e-4ecc-e611-80d2-ecb1d775572a&utm_campaign=m10110&utm_medium=email&utm_source=NPA&utm_content=m10110_B_20161227

cocobolo is an interesting lumber; could easily be mistaken for about any Dalbergia genus rosewood by any Customs official from any country :)

It also states, "Shipping restriction: We cannot ship these items outside of the US."

gotta wonder wasup wit dat :lol:

been waiting to see how this shakes out for importers within the US; I have read several reports of US importers having no issues, so far :)

glad to hear this 8) and hope it continues

good news for my first import of 2017; was in US Custom less than 6 hours then released to USPS :)

just to update:

the guitar was in the USPS facility for 24 hours & released to in transit to delivery destination

a total of less than 30 hours combined between a short stay in US customs & a USPS facility = not bad at all :p

picked up my first Dalbergia import of the year from the Post Office early this morning

< 6 days from (EMS) posting in Japan to delivery in the US; no customs duty & no CITES issues :D

I am relieved to say the least

if the new CITES regulation for all genus Dalbergia is going to be an issue, it isn't an issue yet

good luck to others that import; YMMV

I've just contacted Vanessa at Rinkya regarding shipping to Australia. She said they are monitoring the situation, and so far no problems. She also said that acoustic guitars are more likely to be affected than electrics...at this stage.

GET THE LED OUT said:
I've just contacted Vanessa at Rinkya regarding shipping to Australia. She said they are monitoring the situation, and so far no problems. She also said that acoustic guitars are more likely to be affected than electrics...at this stage.

that is good to know & thanks for contributing to the thread

my guitar came from Rinkya; odd thing is I didn't say a word to Rinkya about the new CITES regulations & they said nothing to me concerning it

I do have another guitar in their Tokyo warehouse that needs to be shipped to me here in the US :eek:

extremely early/all original BST-64V near mint ....... # 0018** ....... no screw holes for the back tremolo route = like an EJ Strat 8)

may have original Fralins since it is in the limited serial # range of known Fralin equipped examples; will have to wait & see

I like the Alnico Specials just fine so either way = win/win :p

guitar arrived about 1 hour ago = super fast shipping from Japan to the US with no Customs duty & no CITES issues :)

no Fralins but the guitar is 100% original & the condition could only be described as a 'time capsule' 8) unbelievable for a guitar pushing 20 years vintage

good luck to others that decide to import Dalbergia into the US post new CITES regulation

I'm done with the importing for a while myself :p

I have 2 in route now. 1 has been stuck in Chicago customs for three days and one left Japan today. I'm not worried about the delay, the past 3 guitars (all in late 2016) were delayed anywhere from 3 days to 3 weeks. Hopefully there will be no issues, but I'm going to hold off any additional imports until these 2 make it to me.

Hiro, thanks for keeping us up to date with your imports, it certainly helped me get comfortable with it. I do know the risk is still there, but it's worth it to me to give it a shot.

Latest posts

Back