DiMarzio and double creams

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cashcow

Reaction score
Didn't know until recently that DiMarzio holds the "trademark" for double creams -

"DiMarzio has a trademark on double cream bobbins. A trademark, not a patent - those expire and are meant to protect intellectual property for new technologies. Patents are not for protecting brand identifying cosmetics; trademarks serve that purpose, and are in effect indefinitely (as long as the brand protects their trademark by pursuing anyone who violates it).

*I am not making the assumption that you are unaware of the difference between a patent and a trademark. The reason for my explanation is due to the frequency of your question, and the frequency in which people in general don't understand the differences between a patent and trademark. The DiMarzio trademark on double cream bobbins does not affect pickup makers whose business is entirely stationed outside the United States - like Bareknuckle Pickups; they can sell double cream bobbin pickups. Now there's debate as to which DiMarzio's trademark is right or wrong, as Gibson used double cream bobbins on their original PAFs before DiMarzio was in the aftermarket pickup business, but having that discussion would just be beating a dead horse....

Dimarzio has also protected the acronym PAF for their own use.

Larry is VERY good at getting the rights to use things he didn't come up with."

Has anyone tried any of the Stew Mac Parsons Street humbuckers? Wrote Stew Mac and got this reply -

"The Golden Age Parsons Street Humbuckers actually have double cream bobbins. You would need to remove the Nickel or Gold pickup cover."

cashcow said:
Dimarzio has also protected the acronym PAF for their own use.

Larry is VERY good at getting the rights to use things he didn't come up with."

"The Golden Age Parsons Street Humbuckers actually have double cream bobbins. You would need to remove the Nickel or Gold pickup cover."
I take it you can't buy those humbuckers without the covers...

Larry is a carpetbagger to the max! "With his mobile phone and his sweet cologne..."
I knew he had the "PAF" thing, but not double cream bobbins. Jeez, great businessman, I guess...

I was (unfortunately) aware of both of those. I actually quite like some of the dimarzio models, but I can't say I'm in favour of those specific trademarks even being allowed to exist in the first place, let alone arguably not the originator of them owning said trademarks!

In my opinion.

Latest posts

Back