Anyone Heard From Member f5joe?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
I know he hasn't posted since Feb 18, about six days.
http://tokaiforum.com/search.php?search_author=f5joe&sid=e5b29a4ea5f056d96f8bbc3fdc70742b

I got a really bizarre message from his email addy about 2 1/2 hours ago; don't know WTF to make of it ................ anyone else hear from him?

I just sent him a PM; will wait to see if he replies but this is a really weird one :-? ............

Rich:

Thanks for your interest my friend.

My email account was hacked so I'm in recovery mode.

Let's see .... hacked email, hack guitarist, hack golfer, hack worker.

Yep, that's about it.

Joe,

in a past life i used to do IT Security, so take it as a given that if your email account was hacked, every contact in your address book has probably received an email similar to whatever Rich has got. they have probably already harvested all those addresses for later attacks

I dont know what was in that email but i can guess that it encouraged a reaction that would get at least some of those contacts to divulge some of their personal information.

and if we are talking about your personal PC eg MS outlook, assume that you need to change every password you ever typed on that keyboard, as a keylogger may also have been part of the hack, oh
and unfortunately a reformat is the only way to be sure it is all gone.

If your email account was web based you are probably OK.

Ive heard and witnessed too many horror stories, many with people loosing a lot of money and sometimes the finger of the law is sometimes also wrongly pointed at them.

good luck and sorry for butting in on the thread

Declan

This sounds f**ked, these blasted computers, it's worse than losing your wallet and cards!
Hopefully everything is sorted now. :)

Joe & JV,

I just re-read my post and apologies, it sounds like I am the prophet of Doom, in truth, if you keep a close watch on your statements, and only use one credit card for any purchase you make on line (not a debit card) you are going to be pretty safe.

Just don't use the same passwords, PIN or whatever phrases or codes on a guitar forum or a webmail account that you would use for your bank account and never click on a link in an email unless you are 120% its genuine.

ill shut up now as as I am regressing into my old job which I am very very glad to be away from.

Dec.

oh and don't download and install free *****, its usually never free :)

yeah, i got an email a while back from a guy i know from another online guitar forum, apparently his account had been hacked too. :(

guess I've been pretty lucky so far :-? but I'm sure just by sheer odds, my time will eventually come :evil:

I like MySpace but I'm not a member there, or Facebook, or Twitter

Just yesterday, one of my co-workers was saying I should join Twitter :-?
I replied, "Hell, I don't even text, why would I join Twitter? As long as I have an electric guitar, a cable, and an amp, I'm set" :D

MIJvintage said:
Just yesterday, one of my co-workers was saying I should join Twitter :-?
I replied, "Hell, I don't even text, why would I join Twitter? As long as I have an electric guitar, a cable, and an amp, I'm set" :D

Exactly. I'm not even concerned by the EMP - they're all tube amps.. oops - better check the rectifiers..

MIJvintage said:
guess I've been pretty lucky so far :-? but I'm sure just by sheer odds, my time will eventually come :evil:

I like MySpace but I'm not a member there, or Facebook, or Twitter

No, I don't bother either, and I think we're starting to see the effects of what happens when people do a lot of their interacting online. I don't know about other countries, but over here we've recently had a couple of disturbing sort of "cyber bullying" attacks going on.

I consider myself pretty lucky as well since I haven't been hacked either - my ISP must be on the ball. :)

Dave_Mc said:
marcusnieman said:
My Facebook account has been popped twice

wow, that sucks. I don't have a facebook account... :lol:

Nothing serious.... just got my password and started spamming people (all of my friends, their friends and their friends, etc) with virus laden videos...... I caught alot of grief from people (understandably) who thought I'd sent them.

Took a couple days before I found out about it. Had to change my password and do a full system virus scan (as did everyone else)..... found 9 things parked on my computer

An interesting legal development regarding spammers:

Microsoft was able to get a court injunction against a botnet that was capable of sending 1.5 billion spam messages per day!

http://www.internetnews.com/securit...crosoft+Scores+Win+Against+Waledac+Botnet.htm

The interesting legal bit was that the defendant was not in court to argue their (pointless) case because Microsoft were able to convince the court that a summons, or even notification of the pending action, would have given the botnet operators time to destroy all the evidence and move on to somewhere else. Although it is understandable in this case that the defendant had no knowledge that a case was being decided against them, it would be extremely worrying if this type of legal process was extended to other types of cases.

When it comes to spammers, it wouldn't bother me if the special forces went in and shot them all - judge, jury and executioner style, but that's just me, so it's lucky I'm not in a position of power! :lol:

JVsearch said:
The interesting legal bit was that the defendant was not in court to argue their (pointless) case because Microsoft were able to convince the court that a summons, or even notification of the pending action, would have given the botnet operators time to destroy all the evidence and move on to somewhere else. Although it is understandable in this case that the defendant had no knowledge that a case was being decided against them, it would be extremely worrying if this type of legal process was extended to other types of cases.

I agree that it sounds bad in principle, but it's actually not that uncommon in the case of injunctive relief. I get the impression that UK & US law are fairly similar in this instance. From Wikipedia:

In the United States, a temporary restraining order (TRO) may be issued for short term. A temporary restraining order usually lasts while a motion for preliminary injunction is being decided, and the court decides whether to drop the order or to issue a preliminary injunction.

A temporary restraining order may be granted ex parte, that is, without informing in advance the party to whom the temporary restraining order is directed. Usually, a party moves ex parte to prevent an adversary from having notice of one's intentions. The order is granted to prevent the adversary from acting to frustrate the purpose of the action, for example, by wasting or hiding assets (as often occurs in dissolution of marriage) or disclosing a trade secret that had been the subject of a non-disclosure agreement

The use of injunctions (often ex parte) was (if you had a decent lawyer) the best way of controlling anti social behaviour in the UK, until ASBOs were invented and complicated everything - despite the claim that ASBOs made it all easier. :-?

No, I agree it's usually a short term measure, so it's not the end of the world if they get it wrong, but if you are an innocent victim of a process like this, you wouldn't be too happy!

It's all just part of a trend I think I'm seeing (may not be the case) where arbitrary state actions are more and more being enshrined in legislation and given legitimacy in law without much input from the people who know the law.

Then again maybe there's a case for the state to go into almost everything and f*ck people up. After my wife's recent visit to Harrow in North London (where she grew up) she said it was now quite frightening, and bore no resemblance to how she remembered it.

We had 2 stabbings over the weekend here in Melbourne, and it's every week. If not weapons violence, then bashings or drunken brawls, is it any wonder the Police occasionally shoot someone?

Back