• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FT:Tokai ES-170

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eames

Reaction score
I bought it 3 months ago.

This guitar is special guitar of Japanese musical instrument store.

This is used careful selected wood.

I want to trade it with Tom Anderson, Suhr, Grosh,McNaught.

IMG_0787.JPG

IMG_0789.JPG

8397.jpg

8398.jpg

eames said:
I bought it 3 months ago.
This guitar is special guitar of Japanese musical instrument store.
Very interesting guitar, eames, and welcome to the forum! Which shop was it that ordered this special version from Tokai (higher version of the ES135 obviously because of the short pickguard and block inlays). Are these JM Rolph PAFs perhaps, as the guitar "only" has a plain top and not the usual flamed maple veneer of the higher models? Do you know if the neck is Honduras mahogany like the new ES155?

Hi,hans-j?rgen

The shop ordered this guitar is Meikyokudou-Neo.

The neck is Honduras mahogany.

Flamed maple veneer of the higher models exist(ES-180).

Pickup is Tokai Special verson for ES-170.

But Meikyokudou-Neo sell this series guitar for Japan ,not for foreign countories.

The latest Tokai catalog lists the ES155 with a Honduras mahogany neck and flamed maple veneer on top, sides and back as well as having Tokai PAF-Vintage MK2 pickups, too. That's why I thought the pickups on your model would be better, so maybe the fingerboard is Brazilian rosewood = Jacaranda which would explain the higher price? Or maybe it's just because of the block mother-of-pearl inlays...

By the way, do you mean this shop? http://www.ebiten.info/shop/meikyokudou/

Anyhow, a very nice guitar and good luck with finding someone willing to trade it with your preferred brands. Did you also post this on the TheGearPage? There's a current thread about 335 guitars in general, so I guess you could find interested people there, too.

The causes of higher price are the following three points.
1.The storekeeper of Meikyokudou-Neo go to Tokai factory and select good wood.
2.The painting is very thin by all Nitro cellulose lacquer
3.Tokai makes special pickup matched the guitar.

Probably fingerboard isn't Brazilian rosewood, but very good rosewood.

The site you show is right.

Thank you for your kindness!!
I'll post The Gear Page.

Latest posts

Back