• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Wanted: Rosewood Telecaster

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

encaustic2200

Reaction score
Some time ago I discovered a rosewood (tokai of course) tele on ebay. At that time I didn't have a dime to my name. I am now in the market for one again and would like some help in locating one if possible.

Thanks

chris

As I posted elsewhere on this forum, Guitar Village (Uk) have a Tokai rosewood 'Tele' for ?699 which is considerably more than the other 'Teles' that they are advertising. I have seen it hanging on the wall but cannot verify if it is actually all rosewood as claimed, it does look cool though. ( I thought it safer for the wallet to leave well alone!).

BobW

The problem with some of the stores selling the Tokais is they do not indicate the model no. Some while ago I challenged the same store on their quilt top Love Rock which is up at ?999! I believe its a LS75Q which most Uk retailers sell for around ?749-?799, the response was to shrug it off. They also have several 'aged' Love Rocks at ?1175 which in my book appear extorionate. Interesting that they have not markings/logo on the headstock.

BobW

My two cents:

I've heard pure rosewood is pretty heavy with a super bright tone. Fender did make a few all-rosewood models but they soon switched to laminated/sandwich building after customers complained about hernias, need for trusses, etc., plus the scarcity and cost of the wood.

Agree about the Warmoth possibilities. They have a Thrift Shop page where they list bodies and necks that for whatever reason did not sell. They have many neck contour, fret wire and headstock options. Sometimes you can get a Thrift Shop exotic wood neck or body for less scratch. While they are not cheap, they sometimes offer solid rosewood necks and bodies in Tele and Strat configurations that are heavily discounted. I bought a Thrift Shop solid goncolo alves Tele neck that needed no finish as it is naturally smooth and waxy. I did give it a few coats of tung oil so as to not void the warranty. A high quality product, and sounds great too. They have all sort of oddball woods: wenge, bubinga, Australian lacewood, bloodwood, cottonwood and walnut in addition to the usual ash, alder and mahogany. And no, I do not work for them! Worth a look at:

www.warmoth.com

You're right GB they are well weighty. Picked up a Fender one a good few years ago in Frank Hutchins Music and put it straight back down again. So I couldn't tell you what it sounded like.

I would guess that the Tokai version may be a tad lighter but I reckon you're looking at over 10Ib whatever one you get.

Latest posts

Back