• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

F/S: 1980 Springy Sound

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivansc

Reaction score
White see through paint with a rosewood board and that lovely vee neck shape.

Bought new by me and picked as the best of the six I tried at the time in 1980 and has been well played but still totally 100% original.

I had to replace the case after the one it came with had worn a load of paint off the bottom horn, which those of you who know Springies will also know was a problem with the first importer. A very unfortunately placed staple!

A fair amount of missing paint and fret wear, but I don't really want to go through the taking her to bits for numbers and taking pics if there isn't much interest.

So.... I am looking for 500 euro.

pictures should be available later today (when I get my hands on the wifes camera) but I wont be taking the guitar to bits at this stage.

Well since there has been some interest here and via pM, here goes with an attempt to upload photos.

The black backplate is of course not original but made it quicker changing strings and it fit the original screw holes perfectly.
I also still have the original white plate which will be sold with the guitar.

This is the ONLY modification of any sort ever made to this guitar from new.

Apart from a very very slight bend in the shaft of the top E tuner, which still works 100%, no mechanical or electronic issues.

If you look closely you will see there is a grub screw missing from the bottom E bridge piece - no idea how long it has been like this but I do have grub screw that fit, probably one of them is the one that fell out - often find stuff like that on my studio floor and just stick it in the bits box.

The only other thing is the Corsican national emblem on the scratch plate, which I put there in the early 1990's to cover up a small split that appeared in the scratchplate. At the time I was living in Corsica and lot of the abrasions in the photos were caused by "beach rash" Happy days.
Tried to show he condition of the frets but it is difficult. according to a local luthier who is a friend, the frets could stand to be dressed and the one with the small nick might need to be replaced down the road, but it plays nicely as it is.
I have been told that with the soft vee neck and the nitro finish plus the E pickups this is likely an STS80. If it ever had a model number sticker on it, I don't recall seeing it.

I really hope this works for photos

http://s446.beta.photobucket.com/user/ivansc/library/1980TokaiSpringySound

O.K. I bit the bullet and took the neck off tonight - first time since I bought it new in 1980. Scary and disappointing.

Absolutely nothing on the end of the neck or in the pocket apart from some 30-odd year old sawdust.

So it has a vee shaped neck, Tokai stamped bridge pieces, single ply white scratch plate.
The pickups are marked "E" and the machine heads are marked "Tokai".
It has a thin translucent finish and a skunk stripe on the back of the neck.

The body is two piece with the join pretty much smack down the middle as you can see in the photos.

So - anyone able to tell me for sure what it is? I have two opinions so far that say it is an ST80 but I would like to know for certain.

I will post some pics of the end of the neck and the pocket, but I don't think that is going to help.

No number on the last fret and nothing on the fingerboard below the top fret, either.

Like I said, I bought this one brand new and even took delivery of it from the wholesaler. (I worked in the shop at the time)

So no possibility of shenanigans.

BUMP for a ?100 price reduction down to ?475 or 500 euros.

If it doesn't go at this price I guess I will keep it.

You snooze you lose.

villager is a pal, so it will be going to a good home.

ivansc said:
You snooze you lose.

villager is a pal, so it will be going to a good home.

Yep..I snoozed.
I'd easily pay 700-800?..but...

Beautiful Strat and congrats to Villager.

How embarrassing! I thought villager was an old friend who had already contacted me on here about the strat.

He is not and I have already committed to selling the Strat to this particular mate.

villager - how do you reckon you had contacted me? No PMs in your name have appeared in my inbox from you.

Apologies to anyone who is upset, but I'm a total newb to all this behind the scenes wheeler-dealering.

IF for any reason the sale does not go through I will re-list it here.

heres what i sent and when i sent it..

looks like it didnt leave the bloody outbox though.. anyone know why?

Outbox :: Message
To: ivansc
Posted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:48 am
Subject: springy Edit message
I will take it

Not sure what went wrong either but like I said, I already sold it to the first actual offer I got at my price and he is a friend from way back, so I am afraid it looks like the forum has defeated you.

Back