FS: PRICE LOWERED! early 80's Tokai 'Goldstar Sound' Strat

Looking for a particular Tokai? Selling a Tokai or other gear? post your ad here!!! Dealers please contact Ned before posting.

Moderator: ned

masonstoops
Plucker

FS: PRICE LOWERED! early 80's Tokai 'Goldstar Sound' Strat

Post by masonstoops » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:22 pm

Hi there!

I have decided to sell my early 80's Tokai "Goldstar Sound" Strat copy.

It has a one-piece maple neck with an awesome feeling profile - thicker than average, with a very slight V shape - my favorite! All the pickups, electronics, and hardware are 100% original, and all function perfectly (though the middle pickup tone-pot is a tiny bit scratchy sometimes - nothing some contact cleaner wouldn't fix). As you'd expect for a guitar this age, it has a few dings here and there around the sides of the body, as well as a couple very light scuffs on the back. But as the pictures below will show, unless you're specifically looking for the imperfections, the guitar looks practically brand-new (which is surprising since it sat piled under a bunch of stuff in a stranger's garage for most of it's life). It has recently been professionally setup, and definitely has that played-in feel you don't get from new guitars.

I think it's incredible what-lengths Tokai went through when they were copying the early 50's/60's Strats (the pickups, the headstock profile, the finishing technique, even the original Kluson tuners are to exact detail - ridiculous!), but that of course is what makes these guitars feel and sound closer to a 50's/60's Strat than most anything else out there. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't slightly hesitant to sell it. I'm specifically not plugging it in during the time of the sale, otherwise I'll be reminded how incredible it sounds, and I know I won't sell it! :)

I posted a thread in the general guitar page asking what a guitar like this is worth these days, and while general consensus was that they're worth between $700-$1000+, most everyone agreed that these are amazing guitars, and should be (and one day probably will be) worth more.

So with that in mind, I'm asking $720, paypal'd and shipped.

Let me know if you have any questions, offers, or recommendations on good pizza in SoCal. :) Thanks!

Pictures below. More detailed photos can be found in the slideshow here: Tokai Gallery

Last edited by masonstoops on Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:38 am

Nice guitar.... love the candy apple maple boards. Great photos too... good luck on the sale.

SpringySound
Power chords are my friend

Post by SpringySound » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:02 am

Oh man I used to have one of those -- best Strat I've ever played.
========================
Three quarks for Muster Mark!

masonstoops
Plucker

Post by masonstoops » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:01 pm

SpringySound wrote:Oh man I used to have one of those -- best Strat I've ever played.
They really are insanely good guitars. It's still available if anyone is interested! Thanks!

masonstoops
Plucker

Price Lowered!

Post by masonstoops » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:06 pm

Price has been lowered!

mirrorboy
Guitar God

Post by mirrorboy » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:40 pm

That's a TST-60 no less, and easily worth the asking price. The pickups should be stamped either plain "V" or "E". A very nice guitar indeed, good luck with the sale.

jonah65
Guitar God

Post by jonah65 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:02 pm

is that price shipped to the uk? :D

masonstoops
Plucker

Post by masonstoops » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:16 pm

jonah65 wrote:is that price shipped to the uk? :D
I PM'd you.

masonstoops
Plucker

Post by masonstoops » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:10 pm

Still available!

masonstoops
Plucker

Post by masonstoops » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Anybody interested in this great guitar? :)

jonah65
Guitar God

strat

Post by jonah65 » Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:40 pm

pm'ed