• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1977 Greco SA-500

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3pupLPC

Reaction score
A MLP forum buddy of mine is selling his Greco SA-500. If anyone is interested, PM me, and I will get you in touch with him.

Anyone here who goes for this will not only be making themselves happy, but they'll be making two other MLP members happy: me, and another regular member who I'm buying a guitar from (you know how this dance/domino effect goes: he buys a guitar, must sell a guitar, so that someone else buys that guitar who must sell a guitar, who, etc).

Anyone familiar the usual sources of Japanese guitars will know immediately who I purchased this from when they see the pictures below. That should also speak volumes in terms of its quality, as he's very selective about what he buys and sells. Anyways, let's get to it.

For your consideration: a 1977 Greco SA500. Is it a 335 style guitar? Yes, kind of. But more accurately, it's a 330/336 style. That is to say, it's got a slightly smaller body than a 335. Also, the block is beneath the tailpiece, not through the center. I have long made the argument that Greco was not copying Gibby here, but rather pre-dating them by about 20 years. As I stated in my NGD thread when I got this guitar:

The guitar is in phenomenal condition. Not mint, but certainly excellent. The only thing to note here, condition-wise, is that someone decided to move the forward strap button to the upper horn, and so the original screwhole is still at the heel. This is less of a bummer than you might think, since I've completely forgotten about that hole until just now, and also because it really DOES work nicely to have the strap button up there. This guitar comes with a hard shell case.

Thin neck fans, this is your axe.

Perhaps Greco didn't start nailing the LPs til the early 80s, but they really got a hang of the hollow/semi-hollows earlier than that. It feels as good as it looks (and check out the styling with the stamped pickups, the tailpiece, the star tuners, and the block inlays), and it really sings out clearly. Tremendous jazzy warmth on the neck p/u, and a jangly early-REM/Beatles feel from the bridge p/u. The middle position ended up being my go-to position, as it gives a full tone with plenty of clarity for chords to stay define and not at all muddied.

But, it's not my dream guitar. Someone here currently owns one of my longtime "must-own" guitars, and we've made an agreement. He got his NGD, but in turn, he must sell that guitar. Now, I want the NGD I've been dreaming about for years and years. But to do that, I must sell this.

Please save me from listing this on eBay. I must move quickly on it (have to do this deal before my band goes on tour in less than two weeks).

I am looking for 1,300. PM me.

PICS:
GrecoSA-5004c.jpg

GrecoSA-5004b.jpg

wholething.jpg

GrecoSA-5005.jpg

GrecoSA-5006.jpg

seeingstars.jpg

GrecoSA-5004.jpg

You should tell your friend that the ES-339 is closer to the Greco.

The CS-336 is constructed in the same way as a chambered Les Paul - block of mahogany routed out with a solid centre and a solid maple top. There's no laminated maple on the 336 at all.

The 336 design has been on paper since the 60s, but it was not put into production.

Back