• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

FS: 1980 Greco Super Real J-45 Acoustic

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bagadix

Reaction score
Very nice and VERY rare Greco W-404BS J-45 clone, from the Super Real era (December 1980). In all my years of Greco collecting, I've only seen three of these, this being one of those. The serial number is L800009, indicating Dec 80 manufacture, with a very early build number. Not sure if it's the 9th one of these ever made, but perhaps the Greco experts can weigh in on that.

The look and feel are very much like a late 50s Gibson J-45, except for the metal tuner buttons, the sunburst on the back also (!), and a thin poly finish. Spruce top and mahogany back and sides. It may be all solid wood (or at least the top may be, as it has a clearly visible seam; it's hard to tell with the mahogany back and sides). 10-ply WBW binding at the soundhole, five ply on the top, and three ply on the back. It has the Super Real era Greco script and bell shaped truss rod.

The neck is big and chunky but very comfortable, like a vintage J-45 should be. This guitar is all original and unmolested, except for the nut which has been upgraded to a bone nut (original nut will be included). Neck is dead straight, action is low, and it plays and sounds really nice. Nut width is 1 11/16.

Greco%20Super%20Real%20J45

(Sorry - I can never seem to get my images to post here on TokaiRegistry. If someone can help me correct this, I'd appreciate it. Regardless, there are extensive photos on photobucket.)

You can view over 30 large photos at http://s758.photobucket.com/albums/xx221/bagadix/Greco Super Real J45/

Comes with a 1970s Yahama hard shell case. Price is $795 plus shipping. Continental USA buyers only, sorry no exceptions on this. I don't post here much, but I do have 12 years of perfect feedback on eBay, username is bagadix. Thanks for looking.

You can't get the images to work because you're posting the wrong page location. The one you wrapped in the tag is still an html page.

You should have used this, which is the address for the jpg itself: http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx221/bagadix/Greco%20Super%20Real%20J45/GrecoJ45full2.jpg

Voila:

[img]http://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx221/bagadix/Greco%20Super%20Real%20J45/GrecoJ45full2.jpg

Nice looking guitar. Mind you, having cut my teeth on Martin copies, I always find the upside-down, Gibson-style bridge fairly unsettling.

Bump.

If anyone has any info about the W-404 model in particular, or just general info on Greco acoustics made during the Super Real period, I'd love to hear it. I've never been able to find much info on the web about them.

One last price drop. $600. Perhaps we can split shipping (CONUS only).

Latest posts

Back