• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1981 Tokai LS-80 - SOLD pending payment

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Z

Reaction score
You guys may remember me asking for your advice on this purchase a few months back. It is a great guitar, and one of the better LP's I have played over the years. I hate to sell it already, but after 40+ years as a Strat player, I am finding that I am just not playing the LP in the band at all. For other reasons, I need to sell some things to get cash right now, so this is the first guitar to go. it is a great player. I added a Faber Tonelock to it, which improved the tone and sustain. The original bridge is in the case. I also rewired the guitar, which IMO also improved the sound, but I still have the original circuit board that will be included in the case. The tuners have been changed to Grovers (before I bought it) which I was happy about, but I do not have the original tuners. I also do not have the pickguard. The nut has been replaced, but I believe the original nut is in the case. AFAIK, everything else is original about it. The top is in very good condition, and the back has a few blues marks and scratches, but nothing real serious.

The guitar weighs 4.037 kg or 8 lbs 14 oz.

I am basically asking what I paid for the guitar which was $1300 US dollars, plus shipping. It comes with a non-original but pretty decent case. Please ask if you would like photos taken of anything in particular on the guitar?

If interested, please email me at tzurowski AT shaw DOT ca
I am located in Victoria BC, Canada.

LS-80-front-001.jpg

Tokai-LS-80-018.jpg

Tokai-LS-80-022.jpg

:eek: I like this one a lot - heaps of natural imperfections in a plain looking top, and a nice colour too.
Just can't swing it at the moment. :cry:

I must admit I am surprised there is so little interest in this guitar. I know very little about the Japanese made Tokais (and others), but when I was thinking of purchasing this guitar, everyone here and at the Les Paul forums told me it was a great guitar and great buy and that I should grab it ASAP, before it goes. I was also told that it is hard to find these guitars for this price within NA. It is a fantastic LP, but I guess not the value that people indicated to me before I bought it. So what has happened? Have the MIJ Tokais dropped in value or something in the past 6 months? Are they not as sought after anymore? Anyway, I am not going to sell it for less than what I paid, so I guess I will be keeping it and trying to incorporate a LP into my gigs. Hopefully, I can eventually find a good home for her locally.

Thanks to all for looking :)
Tim

I think you'll find that there are just too many people singing the same tune as I am - "just can't swing it at the moment".

The economy is pretty down all over the world, and guitars are basically a luxury item. If you're a glass half empty type of person, you would not spend anything at the moment, just save your money (pay down debt from the bubble we had). Unfortunately the signs aren't all that good either which doesn't help people let their money go either.

Also, selling on here is problematic - most people on here have got loads of guitars already!

If it's still around in a little while I'll contact you about it - I would generally prefer to buy a guitar that has been checked out by a forum member than one that is unknown from the internet.

At that price it's a steal - beautiful top too as already mentioned. Happily I'm still in the market, but unhappily I'm sat in the UK and the price would go insane after shipping, VAT and import duty. Shame I'm not due to work over there for at least a few months!

Interesting, as the economy didn't really change much at all here in Canada. I have tried to sell it here locally, but no one around seems to know the value of these older Tokais, and they expect to get it for the price of a Korean model.

Alan, if/when you come over here, send me an email. Chances are I will probably still have this guitar.

t

Your price is attractive and so is the guitar. Not many buyers for houses, cars, or real estate these days and I suppose that applies to guitars as well.

Hi, I'm also pretty interested in it. I just moved in Montreal, PQ.
Yet I can't take it before mid/late September so I was waiting until that date to manifest myself. Beautiful guitar by the way. I'll get back to you if it's still available. Cheers

Nice guitar TIM Z and a very good price as well IMHO..Pity that shipping to europe and TAX & VAT would push up the price,Making it not so reasonable.
I paid a little under ?900 for my 1980 LS80 all in,including shipping from japan ,UK import tax & vat.
I would hang on to it,prices will rise again when we all pay off our debts and have a bit more money to spend in our pockets..You will never get a chance to own such a nice and collectable well made TOKAI again.. :)

MOJO HOBO

Mono said:
can't believe this hasn't sold...

Yeah, I hear ya. I thought this guitar was going to sell the instant I posted it.

Anyway, a good player locally just played the guitar and fell totally in love with it. In his words "it the best Les Paul I have ever played" and "I have to have this guitar" So It is finally SOLD pending receipt of final payment. I am especially glad that it sold locally and I will not have to deal with shipping the guitar.

Good to hear that it sold, that was a great price. With the yen so high I was thinking of buying it and having it sent over here LOL.

Back