• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Vintage Norma ES-335 Copy

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seriously? I never knew. This guitar is very nice though, and I am not surprised. What makes you think that?

megid said:
Seriously? I never knew. This guitar is very nice though, and I am not surprised. What makes you think that?

Bolt on neck, trussrod cover, binding, etc. I've been collecting Univox guitars for years - also made by Matsumoku in the 60's to mid 70's. Have a look at the "guitars" section of the Univox site at www.univox.org and you'll see what I mean.

Here's a little more on Matsumoku:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matsumoku

Found this too:

Can you tell me about the history of Norma guitars?

Normas were built in Japan between 1965 to 1970 by the Tombo Company and distributed in the U.S. by Strum?N Drum, Inc. of Chicago, Illinois. The company specialized in copying Italian guitars like EKO and Goya and sold them in the U.S.A as NORMA's. The most blatant EKO copy is the SDEG 490-4, a guitar that confused the heck out of me when I was shopping for an EKO. It is covered in a blue-green plastic sparkle laminate that I was pretty sure EKO had never used but guys will market the guitars as EKOs ($800 vs. $400 value). The Tombo Company is still in business, but these days they specialize in harmonica production.

Back