• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Tokai Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Guitar mag star Springy ST60 for sale

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I am going to put my Springy Sound ST60 on sale on eBay in a few days, but I?m offering it to forum members in advance. It?s a 1980 (possibly 81?) model in 3-tone Sunburst with a rosewood cap board, & the original E pickups that are so sought after by many Tokai fans. This is one of the guitars featured in the July 2008 edition of Guitar & Bass magazine.

The real selling point of this guitar is the gorgeous grain of the two-piece (centre joined) Sen Ash body. Have a good look at the other Springys you see here on the forum ? the grain on this body is more figured and attractive than most ST80s and ST100s. Check out what Fender has to offer too ? it?s very rare to find highly figured ash even on the Custom Shop models.

It?s in great condition for a 28 year old guitar, but it?s not mint ? there are a few small knocks, and a scratch about 1cm long on the back of the body. There is also a small ding on the back of the neck that is just a bit bigger than the dot position markers. Detailed pics are here:

http://s183.photobucket.com/albums/x153/stratman323/Tokai%20ST60%20Springy%20Sound%20Sunburst%201980/

I would imagine that is enough for anyone, but if anybody wants any other pics, let me know.

The neck is straight & true, and everything works just as it should do. I had a professional fret dress and set-up done a few months ago, and it?s currently set up with 10-52 gauge strings. The action is medium to low on the top strings, and medium to high on the bottom strings, which is the way I like Strats to be. The action could easily be lowered on the bottom strings for a more traditional action. The top strings will bend easily without choking, which isn?t always the case with vintage radius Strats.

The sound acoustically is loud and resonant ? the best test of any Strat or Tele. The E pickups and thin cap rosewood board mean that this guitar sounds closer to a typical 50s maple neck Strat than a 60s model ? bright and ringing. It sounds great, it plays great, and it looks great.

As far as I can tell, all the pots and other electronics are original. I have replaced the standard .047 capacitor with an Orange Drop .022 cap, and the middle knob is now a master tone for all three pickups ? the best way to wire a Strat in my opinion (well the pickup most in need of a tone control is the bridge pickup, isn?t it?). I will include the original cap with the sale, or even replace it and put the tone control wiring back to original condition if the buyer prefers this.

I will sell it to a forum member for ?650, including the Hiscox hard case shown in the pics. This assumes that payment is made without using Paypal ? either direct bank transfer, or cash on collection. If anyone wishes to try it first, and can get to North London, drop me a line to arrange something. I am sometimes in Brighton too, so I could take it down there with me if that is more convenient. If anyone is unsure of my integrity as a seller, please check my eBay account (same user name) where my feedback score is 100% after 333 transactions.

I know this isn?t the cheapest ST60 ever to be sold, but I will be making a loss selling it at ?650, so it doesn?t make sense for me to let it go for less. It cost me nearly ?750 in total, without a case, so I?m sure you can see why I won?t sell it for less. Compare the quality of the body wood to other Springys on sale ? this one is special. If I can?t get a decent price for it now, I?ll just hang onto it.

Postage will be at cost price ? for quotes outside the UK, let me know where you are, and I?ll get a price.

151_5186c2-1.jpg

151_5188c.jpg

141_4121.jpg

141_4120-1.jpg

Mike

Hi Mark :p Mike. Good luck and i know that you are a honest person,and someone will be 100% satisfied :wink:

If I hadn't just scored an SRV strat with similarly great grain, I'd have been super tempted... I take it your ebay reserve will be at least ?650...

Must... resist...

OK, it's now on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260248915147&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=016

Sold to forum member Expressway, who collected the guitar not long ago. The Springy now resides in South London, & I hope that her new owner is very happy.

8)

stratman323 said:
Sold to forum member Expressway, who collected the guitar not long ago. The Springy now resides in South London, & I hope that her new owner is very happy.

8)

Did you get visitation privileges?

stratman323 said:

8)

Indeed I am Mike. Superb guitar and it sounds and plays as beautiful as it looks. 8)

I love a happy ending :)

Thanks for taking the temptation away from me too... I'll be fine as long as I don't keep looking at cool guitars for sale on here. Oh, then it looks like I'm doomed...

It's back! I regretted selling this one, as I've never seen another Springy with such gorgeous grain on the body as this one. So when Expressway, who bought it from me, said he wanted to sell it to fund a new acoustic, I bought it back from him.

It now makes up a perfect trio of guitars from 1980, along with with my ST80 & TE70. And this is from someone who wasn't too keen on Sunburst till a couple of years ago!

:eek:

128_2873.jpg

141_4140.jpg

stratman323 said:
. So when Expressway, who bought it from me, said he wanted to sell it to fund a new acoustic, I bought it back from him.

Every time I've done that (twice) I paid more to buy it back than I sold it for :oops:

Latest posts

Back