Page 2 of 3

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:24 am
by JohnA
If you want a biased opininion Mikes your man :wink:

Dave on the other hand has been known to look beyond the norm and pick up a few oddities, and his guitar collection is all the more interesting for it! The first thing a lot of people say when they see my Les Paul collection is "but they are all the same!" can't say that about Daves

That Bacchus tele is certainly going to be prised from his sticky hands for our next recording session!

:D

Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:17 am
by DaveWW
JohnA wrote: That Bacchus tele is certainly going to be prised from his sticky hands for our next recording session! :D
There's no need to butter me up :D - you'll be welcome to borrow it. Just hope it lives up to expectations.

Dave

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:27 am
by JVsearch
Love that Tele - it is brilliant!

I was bidding on it myself - on Yahoo, but due to my cautious nature I was done over by a more experienced buyer! He was right too, because when I saw the pics Hisashi put up on ebay, the guitar looked so much better than on the Yahoo listing.

Don't listen to Mike about the Bigsby - main reason it's good is because it makes the string break angle shallower (like a top loading Tele bridge does also) and you will get a more musical tone in my opinion.

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:07 am
by DaveWW
JVsearch wrote: Don't listen to Mike about ......
........... don't worry I rarely do :lol: :lol:

Dave

Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:23 am
by stratman323
JVsearch wrote: .....main reason it's good is because it makes the string break angle shallower (like a top loading Tele bridge does also) and you will get a more musical tone in my opinion.
That is a very contentious statement! Top loading Tele bridges are generally the preserve of cheapo Teles. Fender gave them up after less than a year.

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:46 am
by JVsearch
stratman323 wrote:
JVsearch wrote: .....main reason it's good is because it makes the string break angle shallower (like a top loading Tele bridge does also) and you will get a more musical tone in my opinion.
That is a very contentious statement! Top loading Tele bridges are generally the preserve of cheapo Teles. Fender gave them up after less than a year.
I don't actually know why Fender gave up on them, maybe it was for some other reason (don't want two different lines of construction for one model) rather than that they sounded no good or were cheap. They did away with the single pickup Esquire as well - too costly to make two different pick guards! Ha ha :D

People just don't like them because they look a bit like they could be pulled off, whereas the string through body method looks rock solid. To be fair a top loader probably should not be used on softer woods, so maybe that was the problem, longevity fears meant you had to use the harder timber.

Top loaders are making a bit of a comeback here and there, and a top loader was good enough for Jimmy Page before he became immortalised as a LP player. He even used his top loader Tele to record the solo to Stairway, and nobody would say that was a bad tone? Yeah, I know, unfair - Pagey would have sounded good on whatever it was.

When it comes down to it, I just can't stand bright no sustain chickin pickin Tele sounds, and the top loader seems to allow notes to bloom a bit more. I put it down to the string break angle, but I could be wrong.

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:09 pm
by stratman323
Well you may be right, I guess I don't know because all the good or very good Teles I've ever played have been string through body, the only toploaders were cheap ones. I can't think of any toploaded Teles that I like the look of.

But whatever you think of Bigsbys, they must alter the tone of a Tele quite significantly?

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:49 pm
by DaveWW
This guy seems to like 'em

http://www.xs4all.nl/~msengers/htm/home.htm

Check out his links and old tele sketches etc

Dave

Posted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:45 pm
by DaveWW
Image

Arrived today :P

Dave

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:01 am
by DaveWW
Plays great, sounds just like it should. :D Lot's of tele twang. Gonna have to learn some country licks. :lol:

Nice feel to the neck and still nice and light even with the bigsby.

These yuta pickups are nice :D

More pic's later for those interested.

Dave

Posted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:32 pm
by MIJvintage
DaveWW wrote:Plays great, sounds just like it should. :D Lot's of tele twang. Gonna have to learn some country licks. :lol:

Nice feel to the neck and still nice and light even with the bigsby.

These yuta pickups are nice :D

More pic's later for those interested.

Dave
very wonderful looking guitar; I imagine it is a real joy to play :)

More pics? YES 8)

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:02 am
by DaveWW
MIJvintage wrote:

More pics? YES 8)
Allrighty then :D

Yep, it plays great. Just needed a little bit of neck relief to get the action right.

Changing strings is a bit of a swine though. I should have checked first - Bigsby say to use a wedge shaped piece of foam to stop the strings slipping off. I used to be a toolmaker so I should have thought of that! :lol:

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

I'll contact Deviser to see if they can give me any more info on the guitar but I doubt if I'll be able to find more than Hisashi had on his ebay listing.

Dave :D

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:07 am
by RyanC
Now that is a tele I could fall in love with!!! :oops:

Congrats Dave

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:13 am
by MIJvintage
Damn Dave; that's one NICE chunk of Bacchus Tele lumber you got there :D

Thanks for the very nice pics 8)

I think I'm getting a woody :lol: ...........................

Posted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:45 am
by marcusnieman
I've never been a fan of a Bigsby rig but I must say that that Tele is a pup!