Nice Top, What about H-stock?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
I love the natural grained top on this one (despite 3-piece) 8). But is that headstock screwy :eek: ? Almost looks as if a separate ill-fitting black facia was glued on? Anyone have any thoughts/explanations on that? Not knocking it, just a bit puzzled :-? .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=38086&item=3720017642&rd=1.

Ian.

I`ve seen that on older Grecos here... like the headstock veneer shrunk a little.

Hi Sneaky,

Thanks for that info. - yeah the rest of the guitar looks fine. Are those headstocks made in two pieces, ie sandwiched together :eek: ? On my old LS60 it just looks like a 1-piece headstock with the top face dyed back?

Ian.

ian said:
Hi Sneaky,

Thanks for that info. - yeah the rest of the guitar looks fine. Are those headstocks made in two pieces, ie sandwiched together :eek: ? On my old LS60 it just looks like a 1-piece headstock with the top face dyed back?

Ian.

usually they're made of 1p plus additonal side wings.

gibbos originals, historics, and tokai high ends (old 200, 320) have a aka "holy veneer" black tinted and laquered white wood on top of the headstock. on all other models it's usually black plastik veneer which sometimes tend to shrink a little. wood veneer easily crackles after some 10 to 20 years

Hi Supernout,

Many thanks for the explanation - I never realised it was a separate wooden or plastic facia ? so it means that Reborn is probably OK, ie just an unusually large degree of shrinkage :-? .

Ian.

Not to worry-just a little shrinkage-this gem is a killer AXE !
Regards,
Mike
(mackelchea)

Hi Mike,

Ahh?.so you are ?Mackelchea? - I really must make a list of eBay names, just so I know who the good guys are :D ! Well Sneaky & Supernout have put me straight about headstock construction, and apart from that I can only repeat that otherwise it looks a particularly beautiful example of a rare & desirable guitar 8) . Sorry if I appeared to cast any doubt on it (maybe this will turn out good advertising after all!) ? someone will be a very happy new owner, & I think you deserve top price for it :-? .

All the best,

Ian

ochay said:
Not to worry-just a little shrinkage-this gem is a killer AXE !
Regards,
Mike
(mackelchea)

sure mike,

we keep the odd ones and sell the killers, right :wink:

Actually I just keep the LS100's and 120's -- I'sa just keep on going back to the Demarzio's-they rule !!
:)

ochay said:
Actually I just keep the LS100's and 120's -- I'sa just keep on going back to the Demarzio's-they rule !!
:)

paf's or super distortion? :eek:

Don't laugh, but I prefer the '81 GOTOH impressed brassplate Pu's. They are loud but clear. just a little mod to the bridge Pu and a good guitar of course...perfect to me :D

Supernout ? which Tokai models had those 81 Brassplate GOTOH?s as standard fittings? Or put it more generally ? what do you think of the Gotoh?s on early Love Rocks? Do Reborn and Reborn Old have different pups, eg PAF Vintage Mk1 instead of MK2, or what? Just trying to figure out more about the early Tokai pups (Registry info mostly in Japanese!) :-? .

And while I?m asking basic questions ? anyone know if any Tokai Breezy models had a maple CAP neck, ie copying Fender's maple Cap necks used from 1967 to 69 (actually available from about 63 as special custom request) :-? ?

Ian

Hi Ian,

I’ve actually never understood what exactly is behind vintage mk1 or mk2. I’ve never seen any of these designations either stamped or inked on the bottom of a Pu-plate.

So let’ be precise now:

1) I’ve had or have ’78 and ’79 LS-50/60 reborns and I found absolutely no markings on Pu’s. But I simply would call them paf copies – same construction, similar measurements, each with a slug and a screw coil, brassplates and ceramic magnets, read both about 7.5k and have 50mm polepiece distance (from outer pp centers). Sound depends on the guitar, neck perfect, bridge often too bright or harsh.

2) Since around ’80 (my source are two LS-80 reborns) there’s an inked stamp “Patent Applied For – made by goto” version. A different construction, only screw coils, polepiece distance is more matched to string distance (47.5mm for neck - 50.5mm for bridge), Pu-cover screw-mounted, not soldered, reading 7.5 to 8.0k. These Pu’s are louder but not hotter than 1) and sound very good.
I found the same kind on ‘82 and ’84 LS-50 Loverocks, which were much louder again, caused by thicker screwpoles and two instead of one leading rail, but neck is sometimes too loud compared to bridge.

3) All of my ’81 LS-50 Loverocks are stocked with Pu’s “GOTOH” impressed on the brassplates’ bottom. Construction is comparable to 1) but hotter (8.0 – 8.5k) and louder (taller screwpoles). I assume that these Pu’s followed 1) for LS-50/60 models in 1980. Since “reborn old” were only built for a few months in 1980 I don’t think that there’s any difference concerning the Pu’s compared with reborns or earliest loverocks.

4) A closer paf replica is the “Tokai ’57 P.A.F. MODEL” (sticker) version, nickel bottom plate, alnico magnets, paf-like construction, reads about 8.5k, more creamy, starting around ‘81 in LS-80 models.

5) Those mentioned in 2) obviously developed during the 90’s till 2000 into much hotter (around 10 to 11k) versions which are supposed to be still in use. The newer ones have small Gotoh stickers and F/R markings for front and rear positions.

The models from LS-100 upward were basically equipped with dimarzios (pafs or super distortions), or seymours (SH-1 or SH-55)

Feel free to correct or add any information

Hi Supernout,

Fantastic description of pup variations on different LP?s, exactly what I wanted, & much more than I expected ? thanks a million (we should add stuff like that to the Registry) 8) . If it?s not asking too much ? do you know anything at all about the existence, or non-existence, of maple capped necks on Tokai Breezys :eek: ?

Ian.

I was told Tokai changed pups specifications on 83 or so for better(closer to original spec),goldstar guitars specially,but I haven't been able to try it.Maybe anyone could confirm this rumour.

Hey Supernout!

Remember that LS80 you sold me last year? She now has a pair of 78' Dimarzio PAF's in her guts that came out of a junked 78' Hamer Sunburst.

Man is she BARKING now! :p

A note on shrinkage. Had a 68' Les Paul gold top at one time and the holly veneer had shrunk a little so I shouldn't worry about it.

Latest posts

Back