79' Tokai

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldflame

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2375096009&category=2384

Couple of questions with the above.

1. What's with the skunk stripe on a rosewood board? This guitar is almost like a Fender 59' transitional maple to rosewood copy but the stripe is throwing me.

2. Does it look like a slab board to you guys?

:-?

I've seen quite a few of these advertised by Japanese sellers over the years. I think there were a lot of varients in the late 70's that dont fit in with the info on the Tokairegistry. The serial number for instance does not fit in with any info we have, I have a Springy Sound from about 1981 which has a 7 digit serial number, and I am sure it is genuine. I think there is still a lot of info we dont know and more variation in the earlier models especially.

The serial numbers for the Fender copies are only to ID the year Fender that is being copied - not the year Tokai made the guitar.

evidently Fender Japan was adding twists to their line up as well back then. I would not be surprised to learn Tokia was doing the same. As we know the Japanese makers are famous for making precise copies of American guitars, but it is not uncommon to see variations on those copies. Who knows why. When I got my Tokai strat I sent pics to the company to ask about it because it is different from the info on this site. The reply was, it doesn`t look like a standard model offered by the company at that time. They told me if they found anything about it they`d let me know, but I didn`t expect them to spend any time researching one guitar, and I never heard from them and that was about a year ago.
So, it may very well be a one off, or a special order or just a guitar none of us have seen before.
Looks nice to me though.

I?ve never had a guitar with so much chipping/wear around the neck pocket?, but I don?t swap necks. Tokai Springy decals are freely available on eBay. Skunk stripe? Well, I?ve never seen it with rosewood - did US Fender ever do that :eek: ??

Ian.

Ps: Lee:- ?Muric Acid??? Is that just a corruption of the name ?Muriatic Acid??? Well, ?Muriatic Acid? is just an ancient name for Hydrochloric Acid (HCl). ?Spirit of Salts? is another outdated name for the same thing. Yeah, HCl is dangerous all right, but it?s only reaction with Nickel is to slowly dissolve the metal - maybe forms Ni-Chloride, might look like age tarnish?? Long shot I reckon. I can think of far more likely methods :-? .

Yes. I used to own a replacement Fender Strat neck that had a Skunk with a rosewood board so I guess it's not unheard of but it's not for me I'm afraid.

ACID!!

Yes Muriatic Acid. I contacted a guy in the States who told me what to do but he scared the life outta me so what are you methods Ian?

http://www.j-guitar.com/sp/sea/view_detail.cgi?pid=12280505
Hi Oldflame,here's an old link LRUK posted a while back,seems this Springy has the same offending skunk stripe with rosewood fingerboard (must of been from the same batch!).
I've also seen a 7ender '62 reissue with the same neck which dated from the mid '80's.

pb

:eek: A friend of mine who worked at Charly'sGuitar Shop here in Dallas bought a 2 color {amber to black} sunburst Fender Custom Shop 58' transitional model. The pick gaurd is 3 layer WBW, slab rosewood with a Skunk stripe he still has it and might have some more info as he dealt directly with the Custom Shop. And as far as rosewood with the stripe, I see them all the time on new Fenders. I had a California Special Stat from about 5 years ago and could'nt figure out why it had the slab and stripe. Maybe it makes mass production easier if they are useing maple caps like in the 70's? :-?

Hi Lee,

Ha,?.well I?ve never tried to age any of these parts, so maybe I should have been a bit more guarded and said something like ?if it helps, maybe I could suggest something safer than HCl & maybe likely to have more effect, in theory at least?, :lol: LoL!

Well one thing I wanted to do was find out if Muric acid was something new that I hadn?t heard of, or whether it is in fact just HCl ? OK, so it?s HCl. Supernout once posted a comment about using HCl (back in Oct. 2002, I think) so he can probably tell us from practical experience what effect it has, but as I say;- in theory it should have little or no effect at all :eek: .

On most metals the age tarnishing is due to oxidation, however, Nickel is famous for doing the exact opposite of what you want, ie it?s highly resistant to oxidation etc. (ditto Chromium). But in any case, HCl is NOT an oxidizing agent. It may have a very small effect simply due to chemical cleaning of the Nickel surface.

Of course most of the strong oxidizing agent?s I could suggest, would be either unavailable outside a Lab, or even more lethal than concentrated HCl (eg - Chromic acid, Nitric Acid or Sulphuric Acid) :roll: :roll: ? DO NOT TRY ANY OF THOSE!!!

However, you could try moderately strong and less dangerous oxidizing agents such as Potassium Permanganate (K2MnO4) or Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2), either of which can probably be bought at any Chemists shop ? take care with the Peroxide because it ?burns? like an acid. Otherwise, ordinary household bleach also contains a mild oxidizing agent (ie Sodium Hypochlorite, ie NaOCl). Have you tried ordinary cleaning products such as Brillo Clearway, Goddards ?Silver Dip?, or ?Quickshine? brass cleaner (Waitrose, or other supermarkets)?

If you want to risk it, you could send me the pup covers &/or other bits, & I?ll have a more aggressive go at it for you. But be prepared for either (a) little or no effect, or (b) a much bigger effect than you wanted :lol: LoL!

DISCLAIMER ? nobody here should even think of trying any of the above unless they?re experienced in handling potentially dangerous chemicals.

Ian.

Phew! What a read. I wish I had taken more notice during my school Chemistry lessons. I may have a go with the Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2). Ain't that the stuff they burn warts off with? I once had a girlfriend with warts on her...... :eek: ..... :-?

Do I just go in the chemist and ask for H202?

Here's what my contact in the States told me:

The ageing of nickel parts is done with the fumes of muriatic acid. The
parts are not dipped in the acid. Put the acid in a container and hang the
parts over the acid so the fumes get to them. And then close the container
and let it sit for about 4 - 6 hours or until the desired amount of ageing.

What do you think Ian. Would the same principle work with H202? :-?

No really, I ain't kidding ya!!

Prince Bishop,

That Springy at Retro Bazar looks almost the same. Bugger that skunk stripe! :x

Hi Lee,

Quote??wish I?d taken more notice of school Chemistry lessons???.Ha,?on the contrary, wish I?d spent less time in the lab & far more time playing guitar :lol: !

OK, if that US guy is dangling his ?bits? in the acid fumes, then he must be using dangerously concentrated HCl;- dilute HCL doesn?t produce noticeable fumes, but Conc. HCl fumes strongly & corrosively in the air & will cause crippling acid burns ? I?d Stay Well Clear of that Idea :eek: ! But see below for using Peroxide or Permanganate.

Ian.

Hi Lee,

I don?t know about warts (LoL!), but Hydrogen Peroxide was widely used as a bleach in women?s hairdressing - again, it?s probably worth you trying strong household bleach first.

Yes, any chemist should be able to sell Peroxide Solution in two strengths, ie so-called ?20-Volume? (dilute) or ?40-Volume? (bit stronger). Those strengths aren?t vastly dangerous, but any splashes on the skin must be washed off immediately, & of course it could be really nasty if you get any in your eyes - wear some specs just as eye protection - just be careful with it.

OK, I wouldn?t bother dangling stuff over the fumes ? just put the pup covers & peroxide in a small saucepan, put a lid on the pan, try warming it slowly on the cooker (ie not as far as boiling!- maybe just to about 60 Deg., then turn heat off) - all chemical reactions go much faster at higher temperatures. Have a look at it from hour to hour, but expect to leave it there for a few days if necessary. Finally dispose of the peroxide by carefully pouring it down the sink - rinse sink carefully with cold running water from the tap (avoid splashes).

While you?re at the chemist, ask if they can sell you some Potassium Permanganate (lovely deep maroon/purple crystals), which is quite harmless in normal handling. Dissolve a tablespoon of that in a cupful of hot water & put the pups in that for anything from minutes to weeks, & see what happens.?eh..?.let me know :eek: :lol: LoL!.

Ian.

Okay I'll have a go but if you hear a loud bang in your part of the world then you can be sure the universe is coming to an abrupt end courtesy of my dabbling :oops:

Potassium Permanganate.

Yeah I remember that stuff. That's the stuff they put in Bananas isn't it? Doesn't it go bang though!

Here we go then - BOOOM!! :roll: :-? :cry:

Latest posts

Back