newbie here - breezysound sighting questions

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tone4days

Reaction score
hello folks,

i just found this site and am thrilled to find such a concise repository of tokai info .. i first heard of tokai back in the 80's reading a gutiar player interview with nile rogers who raved about them ... and as a fan of SRV, i knew he was into them too ... i have never had the pleasure of actually playing one though .. i am hoping that could change soon :)

i am in the market for an ash body/maple board tele-style in butterscotch w/black pickguard .. i've seen the new '52 reissue copies on ebay (are they korean made? are they well made? do they play well and sound good?)

i also saw a breezysound on ebay, but i am confused about it and hope one of the forum experts can help

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2373280120&category=2384&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

is this guitar really ash? .. and is it an authentic tokai? the serial number seemed a bit off and the string tree doesnt seem to match the position of the example headstock pic on the 'dating' page .. after reading roboherb's thread about his experience, i am rather nervous, yet intrigued

any help would be appreciated

thanks again for such a cool site with cool members
cheers,
t4d

thanks loverockerUK .. i am curious about the sonic properties of sen vs louisiana swamp ash

cheers,
t4d

Hi t4d,

To quote Barry ?ian's your man for ash-spotting?. Ha,.ha,???,OK thanks Barry ( :lol: LoL). Well US & European Ash (Fraxinus excelsior) usually has a slightly wilder grain pattern than that guitar. However, as Barry said, it seems most Japanese manufacturers used a local Japanese species of ash called Sen (Fraxinus mandschurica). Well its not ?Gospel? but;- I think that guitar is probably Sen, and as far as I know there?s no particular quality difference between Sen vs. US/Euro Ash. So yeah, its ash (probably!) 8) .

Ian.

Ps:- personally I wouldn?t get too hung up on ?Swamp? ash, unless you?re desperate to save a few ounces in weight :-? .

thanks ian

i'm glad for the (probable) comfirmation of ash, species indeterminate :)

any other thoughts on this guitar's likelihood of being genuine vs. an imposter (a la roboherb's misfortune) ?

cheers,
t4d

http://www.rivuletguitar.com/electricguitars/others/othersstock033/electricorhersstock033.html
heres an example of sen. Got this coming Tuesday morning. I have another like it and the guitars is very light and resonant. I had another sen guitar that were heavy.
I teach English at a pulp and paper mill here in Japan and asked the staff about sen, they found this...
sen...KALOPANAX PICTUC NAKAI, it has palmate leaves.

Hi t4d,

Quote ?any other thoughts on this guitar's likelihood of being genuine?. Ha,??well passing the buck back again;- ?Loverocker?s your man to answer that?, :lol: LoL!

Well, I stand to be corrected on any/all the following, but :- bridge plate & tuners look to be stamped Tokai & Deluxe respectively (both correct). Tuners are correct vintage Kluson type (slotted). Control knobs are earlier ?domed? type (later ones are flat topped ? are they plain or knurled sides, don?t know if they?re original?). Seller says it?s all excellent, but what model is it (higher numbers indicate more expensive models)? Email him for complete confirmation on 100% originality (especially Pups), condition (frets & neck), working order, ask if he?s sure it?s ash (or is it Alder??), which model No. etc. Photos are clear enough, but they can never tell you want it?s really like to hold & play. All looks OK to me though :-? .

Ian.

thanks again, loverocker and ian ... great info on the hardware checking out ... :D

does anyone have any thoughts about the serial number? just 5 digits with no letters ... #21296 .. what date group would this represent?

cheers,
t4d

thanks again, loverockerUK

i originally had trouble reading that webpage .. the only bit that i could see about serial numbers was a table that said 5 digit numbers on the neckplate represented 1956~1960 models !!!

but now i think i get it ... the headstock gives it away

oh well, wish me luck at the auctions and i'll check back when i get her in my own hands :)

thanks to all for the generous help

cheers,
t4d

Latest posts

Back