Chinese ls136?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdvineng

Reaction score
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264401163244

brokentoes said:
I thought the Chinese offerings were listed as ALS-
Japanese as LS-

That’s my understanding too
So we have ignorance or deception?

On the facebook tokai group, an epiphone disguised as a Tokai came to light last week and another dubious looking one is under consideration :D

I'm on one of the facebook tokai sites and the amount of people "who know it all" and don't is frightening. People come to ask for help but who do they believe ?? 16 different opinions from guys who know everything. Good thing its a big internet.

brokentoes said:
I'm on one of the facebook tokai sites and the amount of people "who know it all" and don't is frightening. People come to ask for help but who do they believe ?? 16 different opinions from guys who know everything. Good thing its a big internet.

Yes they make me laugh and cry at the same time, one guy always claims he's no expert but if you counter his opinion, you are ignored or dismissed :lol:

With Tokai's made to different specs for all kinds of different countries, i'm not sure how anyone aside from someone at Tokai itself to be an expert. I doubt it even then. They are not an easy guitar to nail down.

If there are no obvious signs to indicate model number, bearing in mind they are price/year sensitive, I usually advise emailing Tokai directly with the serial number. Those that do , usually report back within a few days with the information from Tokai.

Who'd ever think of asking the builder though when there are so many less logical options !!! Good God.

Less than 30% contact Tokai.
One person thinks that no Tokai is worth more than £600 irrespective of spec and age, then boasts he has 5 of them and isn't an expert.
It won't be long before I leave that group too :wink:
The tokai for sale group was even worse

Yeah i've noticed some guys from the UK have different thoughts on the value of Tokai's but i figured they knew their market for at least 2nd hand. I know in Canada where at least the Gibson style Tokai models are not available new, the 2nd hand market is way cheaper than most of the world, or the people ask so much they will never sell. No middle ground.

brokentoes said:
Yeah i've noticed some guys from the UK have different thoughts on the value of Tokai's but i figured they knew their market for at least 2nd hand. I know in Canada where at least the Gibson style Tokai models are not available new, the 2nd hand market is way cheaper than most of the world, or the people ask so much they will never sell. No middle ground.

Is that partly because of the notorious importer that created Fakais, so everyone is nervous of buying one incase it is?

In the UK, some used dealers are trying to push the prices up, some people are just con artists, most are clueless and think a 1980 ls90 is the same as a 2019 ls80, some think a reborn is a fake and of course there are the dyed in the wool "its not a Gibson/Fender" so it has to be inferior :lol:

I think here its a mix of all those things plus the fact that its only a certain age group that likes the Gibson/Fender styles. The few younger people who play guitar don't gravitate to old school designs like les pauls and telecasters etc... they are more into the superstrats etc for speed metal. Also if you want a new Gibson here.. they are stupid money so they are never considered.

Back