Tokai LS100 Reborn model 1979

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

throstur

Reaction score
What are your thougts on this one. Seems to be a good price if it is an totally original Tokai LS100 Reborn, model 1979, as stated.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1979-Vintage-Tokai-LS100-Reborn-/110900621121?pt=Guitar&hash=item19d2312f41

Cheers
T

That would be a great price if that was the buy-it now, but I think something like that is going to end up in the $2k and above range with that nice top and finish. Wonderful looking guitar.

I never liked the brown ones too much.

The cloudiness of the headstock overlay is a bummer. A lot of them get this but this one is pretty dramatic.

jacco said:
So you all will be bidding? :lol:

Why bother? The seller rarely seems to let an auction end. He does have some nice guitars though.

The case is Tokai but more recently made. Pretty nice actually.

lol, the seller has removed the listing.... spot on Cali Girl.

Edit.... Its still listed sorry, my internet musta been acting up.

I've never had one but I thought there were original black Tokai cases from 78-79 like that one. It has a "Tokai Reborn" brass plate on it. Is that a recent case with the plate added?

wulfman said:
I've never had one but I thought there were original black Tokai cases from 78-79 like that one. It has a "Tokai Reborn" brass plate on it. Is that a recent case with the plate added?

Tokai seems to have reissued the old black/green case, and also the brown/pink one. The name plate is different though, the new ones are engraved and different dimensions. The new cases are very nice quality.

If no original case value is lower IMHO like in other so called "collectable" guitars...... If you ask top money I apply that rule no doubt.

This Tokai thing is getting more crazy than ever.I just checked ebay and I?ve found a guy asking over 400 USD dollar, oh my God!

I saw that case on ebay as well and had a good laugh, he wants more for that case than i paid for my TJ-60. Case worth more than guitar ??? I think not.

brokentoes said:
I saw that case on ebay as well and had a good laugh, he wants more for that case than i paid for my TJ-60. Case worth more than guitar ??? I think not.

Many guitars for sale. Very few cases for sale. Plus Gibson stopped making the Lifton style. If you want an old case they aren't easy to find.

Blame the typical Japanese buyer who chose a gig bag at time of purchase instead of paying the extra for the case. Now there are a lot more Tokai guitars than Tokai cases.

Could be the typical Japanese buyer didn`t have room for a hard case, apartments/rooms here can often be tiny compared to what we`re accustomed to in North America...someone living in a 4 tatami mat space just doen`t have anywhere to put a hard case...4 tatami mats, and there is more than one size for tatami mats, but none are large. My guess, storage space played a role in the decisions as well. Cost may have been involved for some people too but we`re talking about the bubble years when people had money to burn...not like that anymore, in general of course.

I am sorry I dont agree with you Cali girl. That scarce argument again to make money.There are other options as Boblen cases for example and those are brand new (yes they are expensive) and more.

I have been following this MIJ thing since 10 years ago and I have seen how prices have climbing, artifiacilly. If we take into acccount actual economics scenario, prices would be down as wages do at this time.

luis said:
I am sorry I dont agree with you Cali girl. That scarce argument again to make money.There are other options as Boblen cases for example and those are brand new (yes they are expensive) and more.

We don't need to agree. If you just want a case for your guitar then there are many cheap options. I can order online for $50 and have it shipped to my house for free. But if you must have a specific Tokai case it takes time and money to find it. In the past I have spent a lot of both to get the good stuff. That's why my username is Cali Girl, because of the LP case!

If you think they are not worth much then I will buy your cases for what you say they are worth :)

Wow i had no idea the cases were worth so much money to some people. I got one when i bought my LS-150 second hand and i think its cool but as a case i didn't think it was really all that. Of course i don't have a original lifton case to compare it too.

Actually, the vintage Tokai case is better than a Lifton because it fits and protects the guitar properly. Old Liftons had a loose fit for a Les Paul shaped guitar. And Gibson's newer version of the Lifton case (now discontinued) is poorly made. So you see Gibson guys buying old Tokai cases for their reissue historics.

And once Gibson discontinued their Lifton style case, prices on those are at about $500. Which makes the Tokai version an attractive option for a little bit less.

So would these be considered "good deals" because they are vintage ?? How do the old acoustic liftons fit ??

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-2-original-Lifton-cases-from-the-late-40s-mid-fifties-W0QQAdIdZ311898139

I will say it again.
The purpouse of this Tokai forum was (not sure if it is now) to provide mutual help between forum members, neither pushing up values, neither jumping sales. It had to be related to information and knowledge. That was the spirit made Tokaiforum grown and becoming a refference in the world for Tokai guitars and other brands related to Tokai such as Fernandes also.

brokentoes said:
So would these be considered "good deals" because they are vintage ?? How do the old acoustic liftons fit ??

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-guitars-2-original-Lifton-cases-from-the-late-40s-mid-fifties-W0QQAdIdZ311898139

It's really the vintage Burst cases that were a poor fit and also very expensive. The Lifton dread cases are really nice and fit well. Those prices are a little high for the market but if you need the right case for your J-45...

Not all Lifton cases are desirable or collectable.

Back