Orville 1989 Les Paul Custom?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warxy

Reaction score
Sorry if i posted this at the wrong spot

http://www.therockinn.com/Vintage_and_Pre-Owned/Made_In_Japan/1441/-%20Orville%201989%20Les%20Paul%20Custom

Ive been wanting to buy a LP sort of guitar for its fat meaty tone and sustain for awhile and found this beauty the other day. Popped in today and had a play with it and asked the nice folk who was working there to demo it for me (Im still beginner so i couldnt play enough to test the Orville fully :oops: ). It sounded very nice with that creamy fat tone and some good sustains that you can hear it ring when its being played. I was really considering about buying it on the spot but didnt have enough cash on me :roll: almost did a lay by.

And i wasnt sure if this was a real 1989 Orville. There's no serial numbers stamped on the back of the headstock when i checked, so with my limited knowledge i would assume this is a Terada factory made one , which meant to have a sticker with the serial number on it? And with the price they are asking i dont know if i should go for it, but im tempted. Btw, they are happy to throw in a free hardcase :roll:
What do you guys rekon?

BEn

JohnA said:
IMO an Orville, as oppose to Orville by Gibson LP should be about $800 AUD tops.
Ohhh :O thats interesting to hear. From what ive found on google for the last couple days, the difference between Orville and the ObG is in the pickups where the ObG has the Gibson classic 57's? and the Orville uses the stock factory ones?

The OBG's also have nitro finish and the more expensive reissues have fret edge binding. Admitedly this is largely cosmetic, and a lot of the price difference is down to collectability, that still doesn't make an Orville worth $1800

JohnA said:
The OBG's also have nitro finish and the more expensive reissues have fret edge binding. Admitedly this is largely cosmetic, and a lot of the price difference is down to collectability, that still doesn't make an Orville worth $1800
Oh i forgot to mention that when i walked in they were selling it for $1600, and this is in AUD not USD. :roll:

ooohh, never mind, i just saw the AUD in your post. my bad :p But really, 800 tops? im quite shocked :O

JohnA said:
IMO an Orville, as oppose to Orville by Gibson LP should be about $800 AUD tops.

I know we're talking AUD and I still stand by my original post. If you have $1600 AUD to spend you could do a lot better than an Orville.

JohnA said:
JohnA said:

I know we're talking AUD and I still stand by my original post. If you have $1600 AUD to spend you could do a lot better than an Orville.
Yeah my bad, didnt read your "AUD" :oops:

Well im open to any suggestions. I just remember that i can get the entrance MIJ model of the Tokai Love Rock from Tokai Direct and thats something over 1.3 grand which is cheaper Than the Orville and i remember playing one that was very nice. Otherwise i dont really know what's available to me.

There's a nice Orville by Gibson custom here

http://www.japanguitars.co.uk/Page%202%20Orville%20By%20Gibson.html

For just over 1500 AUD admittedly there would be shipping and GST on top of that

The new Tokais are great, but I would always try to find a used one so you wouldn't lose out if you sold it on. Edwards are great too if you want to buy new

There are always quite a few Orvilles on ebay, heres a white one for just over 600 AUD

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Orville-Les-Paul-Custom-WHITE-Gibson-MIJ-Rare-L-Serial-/110622926038?pt=Guitar&hash=item19c1a3e4d6

And your super strong Aussie dollar is worth about the same as a US $ at the moment, a great time for an Aussie to buy guitars :)

JohnA said:
The new Tokais are great, but I would always try to find a used one so you wouldn't lose out if you sold it on. Edwards are great too if you want to buy new
Bit unlikely that i will resell it if i get one. But you never know :wink:

JohnA said:
And your super strong Aussie dollar is worth about the same as a US $ at the moment, a great time for an Aussie to buy guitars :)
Yeah, you're absolutely right! 8) but im not too keen on getting it oversea :-? too risky and too long i think. :p

warxy said:
JohnA said:
Bit unlikely that i will resell it if i get one. But you never know :wink:

That's what I always think, but then GAS strikes!!

JohnA said:
Yeah, you're absolutely right! 8) but im not too keen on getting it oversea :-? too risky and too long i think. :p

Insured EMS shipping from Japan - Aus is about 3 days, as long as you pick a reputable seller and ask the right questions (dings, fretwear etc) it's not risky, I've bought loads of guitars from overseas and had few issues.

JohnA said:
Insured EMS shipping from Japan - Aus is about 3 days, as long as you pick a reputable seller and ask the right questions (dings, fretwear etc) it's not risky, I've bought loads of guitars from overseas and had few issues.
WOW! 3days, that's very fast :D but how much would that cost?
What reputable seller would you recommend? (pm?)

People that reguarly get nice things said about them are www.japanguitars.co.uk and ebay sellers Hisashi and Chingo123 the latter dealing more in mid-range guitars, the first two in higher-end stuff, I'm sure there are more though, and keeping an eye on the for-sale section of the forum is always a good idea.

JohnA said:
People that reguarly get nice things said about them are www.japanguitars.co.uk and ebay sellers Hisashi and Chingo123 the latter dealing more in mid-range guitars, the first two in higher-end stuff, I'm sure there are more though, and keeping an eye on the for-sale section of the forum is always a good idea.
sweet, had a quick look. The prices with the USD drop are so tempting. Thanks for the link and names JohnA :)
by the way would you know if they all have EMS? and how does insurance usually work. What about customs? im new to this overseas guitar thing.

ooh and i think i came across this ebay seller call "yasoohmusic1109" before on this forum. Would he be a reliable seller? He has a lot more models on for sale, and the price is quite acceptable as well

warxy said:
JohnA said:
sweet, had a quick look. The prices with the USD drop are so tempting. Thanks for the link and names JohnA :)
by the way would you know if they all have EMS? and how does insurance usually work. What about customs? im new to this overseas guitar thing.

ooh and i think i came across this ebay seller call "yasoohmusic1109" before on this forum. Would he be a reliable seller? He has a lot more models on for sale, and the price is quite acceptable as well

I know nothing about yasoohmusic1109, maybe someone else on the forum will.

All of the sellers will offer EMS or equivalent shipping.

I lived in Aus for a couple of years and most of the time got away without paying any duty on imports, but I gather things are different these days, to be safe factor in 15% on top of the price.

JohnA said:
I lived in Aus for a couple of years and most of the time got away without paying any duty on imports, but I gather things are different these days, to be safe factor in 15% on top of the price.
Yes, from what i know there's GST when the object is over $1000. If you're correct on the 15% part then the cost of finding one in Aus will be quite similar after the price+shipping+GST.

warxy said:
JohnA said:
Yes, from what i know there's GST when the object is over $1000. If you're correct on the 15% part then the cost of finding one in Aus will be quite similar after the price+shipping+GST.

There are plenty of great Les Pauls out there for under $1000 AUD, also the choice in Japan or the US is a lot bigger than in Australia. With your strong dollar importing definitely makes sense, with our weak pound I'm stuck with buying in the UK :(

JohnA said:
There are plenty of great Les Pauls out there for under $1000 AUD, also the choice in Japan or the US is a lot bigger than in Australia. With your strong dollar importing definitely makes sense, with our weak pound I'm stuck with buying in the UK :(
The lame part is apparently the shipping cost is counted in to the $1000 threshold, but then i suppose i can always ask the seller nicely to let them write a invoice with a different number :wink:
Now all i really need is to find some reputable/reliable sellers over in japan on eBay :roll:
Would any one else here shed some light on this? :)

There are quite a few on ebay. Some of the best and most recommended are.

hisashi0731
chingo123
meestursparkle
ishibashimusic

the UK & European prices are pretty good at the moment as well. I don't know how it would work out for you but you should check. We can usually buy cheaper in Europe at the moment after accounting for tax/duty due to a lousy week currency.

Dave

DaveWW said:
There are quite a few on ebay. Some of the best and most recommended are.

hisashi0731
chingo123
meestursparkle
ishibashimusicDave
hisashi0731, chingo123 and meestursparkle all dont seem to carry any Tokai love rock model at the moment, hisashi0731 although have a custom model but im not keen it with the minihumbucker configuration :p

What about yasoohmusic1109? Anyone know anything about them? Ive been sending them messages and they seem quite nice and reliable except the broken english. A quick forum search came up with couple folks here who has purchased from them seem to work out very well. :roll:

I was searching for some Japan eBay sellers up all last night and couldnt find any except the ones you mentioned and yasoohmusic1109. :(

DaveWW said:
the UK & European prices are pretty good at the moment as well. I don't know how it would work out for you but you should check. We can usually buy cheaper in Europe at the moment after accounting for tax/duty due to a lousy week currency.
Dave
Oh really? I would think buying from Europe will take too long and a lot more risky to get here. :p

OK - thought you were after an OBG. They do carry those and Love Rocks from time to time.

No experience with yasoohmusic1109 but I'd buy from them without any worries based on their feedback. As I said there's lots more.

It may take time to buy from Europe but I don't see why you'd think it was riskier.

Back