Another GRECO EGF-1800!How much will this one go for!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojo hobo

Reaction score
Ok! If you are MIJ fans then you should always be watching the guitar auctions on Yahoo.japan...within two weeks of each other There is another GRECO egf-1800 for sale on Yj ...There is a very long thread about the first egf-1800 and the price record it will sell for?

But i think this EGF-1800 that popped up for auction today ,is way above the other EGF-1800..Mentioned here...The top is more figured and 100 times better than the other one IMHO :D Not really flamed,but gorgeous ... :eek:

I would say that is if it is a GRECO egf-1800 super real then it is the best example and top i have seen on a egf-1800...

greeeen_note-img600x450-1275964267b.jpg

greeeen_note-img600x450-1275964267h.jpg

What really gave me the hump :-? Is the lack of photos or a link to a photo album for such a rare guitar....I would want to see more pictures of every millimeter of that guitar...

MOJO HOBO

That guitar might be higher than an 1800.

Check out the tops on some of these:

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://psyco.jp/greco/and/egfall.html&ei=PD__ScHSFpLCMozVybcE&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=4&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Degf-1800%2Bgreco%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26start%3D20

Yeah I agree UDO! I did a lot of head stratching as well when i came across it for auction...That why i would ask for the seller for more detailed pictures of the back..close-up shots of all the important details of a high end greco like that...Under the truss -rod cover as well...
At first i thought it looked a 2 piece back ..but it does not look like a perfect center seam...It is also at a slight angle..so it might be natural grain... :wink:

I do not know much details about the fabled GRECO EGF-2100/2500 models ,but do they exsist? ...as far i have found out and read about them only...they were basically a egf-1800 with outrageous quilted/birds eye curled/blistered tops....This guitar might be a egf-2500 but it has 1800 written in the pup cavity clearly...I do not know if they left the 1800 mark in the cavity for any egf-2500 models..villager also said that all of the higher end egf-1800s he had seen ,it was a 50/50 split if they were marked or unmarked...So this could be a egf-1800 with fantastic top.. :eek:

http://www.geocities.jp/greco_oyazi1111/hp-4/hp-4_004.htm

It looks like egf-2500 material..Very simular to "MR MIYAZAKIS"

egf2500.jpg

http://www.sf.airnet.ne.jp/~shake/greco/YourGreco/EGF2500/EGF2500.html

Need villagers input and expertise on this one.. :D
MOJO HOBO

Considering the top was selected and applied first, then routed for pups, I'd say it has to be a really well topped 1800. Just my opinion.

Gorgeous no doubt.

Hi ryan..Yeah i would say it all points to being a egf-1800 with a egf-2500 top...you did give us the heads up on the last fabled egf-2500 that appeared on YJ...

MOJO HOBO

No problems Mark..it is a little too expensive ,well? :cry: Way too much expensive for me...GOOD LUCK :wink:

Beautiful guitar ....and one i can only dream of ever owning...

MOJO HOBO

on the 2500 i have never seen a pic of 2500 written in a cavity, and never seen any catalogue or other official printed proof that it actually exists, and I have been looking for 8 years now, so if anyone has stumbled upon any official reference to an EGF-2500 please let me know just for my peace of mind??

Thanx villager...For the info ..interesting...I am on the fence about if they exsist or not...most of the links and info on them is in japanese and from japan...Strange..

You will be telling me that "SANTA" is not a real person... :D

MOJO HOBO

Well put it this way...really amazing topped 1800's like this are more rare than the regular, albeit rare, 1800's we see. That being said perhaps the myth was started around people in Japan seeing something like this and thinking that the top was so unusually more amazing and rare than other 1800's that they gave it the created model up designation to differentiate it from others?

I've heard that some have ebony boards. Or maybe that's just a myth. Some of the pics look like ebony to me. If not myth, wouldn't that probably qualify the model for a higher than 1800 status?

Ah,,,I hate when they end the auction before people have the chance to bid at the last hurdle....I reckon your right UDO....wobbly knees and second thoughts about loosing such a rare and beautiful guitar..or more likely someone made him an offer on the side he could not refuse...Wink,wink !Rustle of banknotes...

MOJO HOBO

Back