I want this but I don't know how to get it

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cali Girl

Reaction score
I made a mistake of searching on Japan auctions. I found a Telecaster that I like. http://page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b96638434

The translation say only 11 hours left, probably not enough time for me to sign up for Rinkya and transfer money.

Any other ideas?

Well Cali girl I know all too well about falling in love with guitars over the internet, I've never got into these ones though, I don't read Japanese. Barely can work the computer. Maybe a good thing because I am now at 8 guitars and counting, always looking for more 2. I can't help you with this but there are a few Japanese people who frequent this forum who could probably give you a heads up. BTW that looks like a very nice tele. Don't worry I won't be scooping it out under you. Good luck, sorry I couldn't be more help.

English link.....

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A//page2.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/b96638434&hl=en&langpair=auto|en&tbb=1&ie=EUC-JP

Mick

That's a TE70? I didn't know they made them in alder, I've only seen Sen TE70s before.

Mike

I believe that's an 82 TE70 (binding, headstock logo, bridge). Clone of a 64 Tele. Fender started to use alder in 63 if I am not mistaken. The early 80 TEs were not historically correct as the Tele was not considered to be a good seller during this period.

Not really for collectors, but a very good player.

Unfortunately the TE70s also don't have V-necks, which I really prefer. Only came with TE120 and above.

Rinkya: I used them quite a lot in the past. They are 100% reliable, but some 18 months ago they increased their fees so much that it just became ridicolous. Taking the current Yen/USD relation into account you better forget them.

Cheers! Rup

the_man said:
I believe that's an 82 TE70 (binding, headstock logo, bridge). Clone of a 64 Tele. Fender started to use alder in 63 if I am not mistaken. The early 80 TEs were not historically correct as the Tele was not considered to be a good seller during this period.

I see - mine is a 1980 TE70, so that would explain why mine is Sen. Fender started using alder in the late 50s, so virtually all the rosewood board guitars (except for blond) were alder.

Hi Mike,
spot on. alder and maple are VERY rare. However, in Tokai's 82 catalog there is one TE120.

Frankly, I did not know that Fender started alder bodies in 58. My take was that they were ash til 62.

Cheers! Rup

the_man said:
Frankly, I did not know that Fender started alder bodies in 58. My take was that they were ash til 62.

It was around 1956 that Fender started to use alder rather than ash on Sunburst Strats, because it was easier & cheaper to finish. Only the blonde Strats used ash after that date, apart from a few exceptions. I think it was a bit different with Teles, as blonde was the standard Tele finish - Teles were first offered in Sunburst in 1957, & soon after this it seems that they started to use alder. All the post 1959 (rosewood board) SB Teles I've seen seem to be alder.

Back