Fernandes Super Grade (Parade?)

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

james

Reaction score
Sorry, I know this isn't a Tokai, but I've heard a bit about these lately and they seem to be of similar quality to the early Love Rocks. Anyway, Wizard Guitars in the UK has one from the 80s for 799 GBP. They're calling it a Super Parade, but I've seen them refered to elsewhere as Super Grade. I don't remember the flame tops from the 80s, but I definitly remember seeing a Fernandes LP Custom copy. It was a dead ringer for the cream one Randy Rhodes used (it may even have been sold as a Randy Rhodes model?). Anyone else remember these?

James,as I have said in another post there is very tricky to tell a Fernandes high end from another, as the model,s name isn,t as clear as Tokai,s(TST- 50,60,80,etc...for example).The names changed as times goes by,so I am not sure about models.I am only sure 90,s models are R- prefix(R-2 in LPs replicas).They are some very good Fernandes guitars,and a good guitar is a good guitar whatever the name printed on the headestock.
But if you are planning to buy one I can suggest you getting a Tokai.They are closer in look and sound .

I have a Fernadez LP from the early 90's and it is a good guitar, comparable to a Love Rock. The only difference is that on the Fernadez the neck binding goes over the fret ends (like Gibson) I always wondered why Tokai never did this - cost saving probably, but they make so much effort with the other aspects of contruction it seems strange. Anyway the point of this is that the Fernadez Super Grade is a good guitar, but I prefer Tokais.

Hi,
I just bought a new cherry sunburst Fernandes Super Grade form Wizard,I a.b it with a few Tokais and a couple of studios and it blew them away, for quality and sound.I know this wont be liked on here..!!
If I get a chance I'll post some piccies up.

Hi Heppy,

I didn't know that they were making them again! Wonder why Wizard don't have them on their website? Anyway, your guitar looks great and you won't get any complaints here for saying that you think its better than the new Tokais - people first bought Tokais because they wanted quality without paying for the Gibson or Fender name, so it should be the same when comparing Tokais with other makes. Just because Tokais are the 'famous' replicas it doesn't automatically make them better. And of course its all down to personal taste anyway.

Cheers

James

Tokai built some Fernandes models in the past(I don,t know actually),FST-50 and 60 in particular.I don,t think FST-80 were too,but who knows...Some LP replicas could be built too.They botrh are great guitars for the money.

We must remember that Japaneses tried to make better guitars than US and they could do the job.Japanese mentality is always trying to make their best in every thing they do.

Tokai built some Fernandes models in the past(I don,t know actually),FST-50 and 60 in particular.I don,t think FST-80 were too,but who knows...Some LP replicas could be built too.They botrh are great guitars for the money.

We must remember that Japaneses tried to make better guitars than US and they could do the job.Japanese mentality is always trying to make their best in every thing they do.

Hi.
I recently bought a stunning Fernandes Super Grade LP Gold top with P90 Soapbars.The build quality is second to none.There were no ser numbers on the headstock rear, but hand written numbers on the lip of the control cavity just under the cover.I'm guessing it's an 80's model.Can't remember the number.
I've never owned an old Tokai LP to compare it with, but it knocks the spots off the fit & finish of the new ones.My mate has a flame top re-badged to Gibson.People are getting wiser about not doing this anymore.It devalues them.

Thanks. G.

Goddardo,supergrade models are the Fernandes high end of 77-80 era.This time is the japanese golden era,so te qualitty has to be from very good to great.You got a excellent guitar for sure.

Check out this Fernades on Ebay its a steal at the present.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=861250056&indexURL=1#ebayphotohosting

Sorry guys but i to have a fernandes super grade les paul in honeyburst and it is far
superior in looks and build to the new tokai love rocks i have seen. I remember the early eighties when these guitars first came on the scene and the fernandes then was considered on an equal par with the tokais.
I was interested to see the price of the one
at wizard guitars and the fact that someone paid that much.

Fernandez Strat for sale on the LOOT website today 01/05/02 if anyone's interested? Seller sezz it's an early one. Not an expert myself. Anyone interested?

Hi every SuperGrade-freak. I also just bought F'SuperGrade (G'Standart GoldTop) and
I think it is the best guitar I've ever had..! But some questions: (1)where is the serialnumber & (2)what means 'VH 1' on both
pickups(are these p'ups original Fernandes production or...?) - My dear is made, I think, in early '90s

Congrats Lilli,
on youre gas,you just missed one on ebay that went for around ?400.
Where did you get it from..?
I was in Wizard again this week,they have a S/H gold top 4 sale at the same price I got my new one for.
They reckon that Fernades don't produce them now,they do another copy called Burny which is not totally exact like the Super Grade is.
When I asked about the pickups and hardware,they said they were probably made by Gotoh.
I checked to see if I could find any numbers on mine but have had no success.
The owner of wizard thinks it could be old "New" guitar.
They said at one time that they were gonner get some more in, but now theve changed there opinons and say you cant get em.
Must admit the quality is superb.
Alot has been said about the price I paid aswell,but when you consider a Gibbo Std is ?1400 ish and a flame top Tokai is around ?750 ish I'm more than pleased with mine.

I saw one of the new Burny LP type guitars at the weekend. It was pretty LPish in shape, with a flame maple veneer, but had a single volume and tone and two mini switches. Didn't try it through an amp so I don't know what the mini switches were for, but I'd guess they're probably coil taps. In terms of quality it certainly didn't look to be on a par with the newer Tokais.

I was busy putting the original pickups back in my Super Grade last night prior to putting it up for sale and noticed that the serial number is in the neck pick up cavity. I must have been asleep when I changed the pickup originally as I never noticed it before. I also noticed that the neck tenon join was very sloppy! The join is solid enough but there is a gap down the edge of one side(this is covered by the fret board so is invisible normaly). if i saw a job like that in a Tokai I would be very peed off. The only reason I can think of for me not seing it when I first changed the pickups is that I know more about guitar construction now than I did in the 80's. I would not have known (or cared) about the stuff you can't see once the pickups are in. (ah the joys of being young and dumb)
Having said that, I have had the guitar for years and it plays fine, looks good etc. I just thought I would share the info as a couple of people have said that the construction of the two brands (Tokai and Fernandez) is very similar.
BUT now I have said this, no one will buy the guitar off me. :oops: so I will never get the money together to buy back my 78 lp deluxe :evil:
Oh well,

Might be getting a Super Parade LP for considerably less than 'Wizards' Prices.....will post a picture if deal comes off.

Seb

I assume you're talking Les Paul Replicas? Well if that one doesn't come off I can put you in touch with a guy down here who I think still has 2 for sale.

Mail me at- [email protected] for his number.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back