Vintage Greco & Tokai Prices in Japan

Music stores and pawn shops where Tokai guitars have been spotted for sale. New or used.

Moderators: ian, ned

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Vintage Greco & Tokai Prices in Japan

Post by MIJvintage » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:01 pm

1980 Greco EGF1200 (listed for 118,000 yen)
http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do? ... DS00507404

1979 Tokai ST-100 (listed for 88,000 yen)
http://www.digimart.net/inst_detail.do? ... DS00500305

If I ever win the lottery, I'm going guitar shopping in Japan :lol: ................
http://members.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... ij_vintage

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:20 pm

It's strange the way the pickup covers have aged differently on each pickup on the Springy. I'd still gladly add it to my little collection though.

:P

Mike

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Post by MIJvintage » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:29 pm

yes, I noticed all 3 covers, all different shades of color :-?

Yes, I would love to get my hands on a ST100 for $922 US, or the EGF1200 for $1234 US :)

Having said that, I still cannot accept the fact that the Springys have a walnut plug on the head stock face & a skunk stripe on the back; all on a round lam' neck.
As good as anyone believes these guitars are, the inaccuracies as compared to the real deal are just unacceptable, IMO ...........
I'll take a Bacchus BST-64V, any day of the week :)

Same goes for the EGF1200s; nice guitars but veneer tops :-?
Solid tops rule, IMO, even a plain top is real wood :wink: .............
Last edited by MIJvintage on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Yeah, yeah. We're in the bureau of beer and fire and cigarettes. And maybe some chicks, too." - Beavis

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:29 pm

I've often thought the same...

On one of mine, the bridge pickup cover is almost yellow, the middle a little ligher, the neck almost new.

The knobs are uniformly yellow like the bridge pickup cover.

settebello
Guitar God

Post by settebello » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:16 pm

bart
Guitar God

Post by bart » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:44 pm

Wow, the greco would have cost about EUR1300 at my door then. But i wouldn't know how to buy it from that place.

Nice guitars!

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Post by MIJvintage » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:45 pm

LOL, funny that the EGF1200 that I posted a link for, also showed up in the japan axe ST100 thread :-?

I must have ESP but a little late :lol: .............

I guess the ST100 is now double the Guitar Trader price :lol: maybe $2K :P .............

settebello
Guitar God

Post by settebello » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:51 pm

Rich that was a Greco thread. :wink:
And the 1200 have a headstockbreak. :-?

Volker

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Post by MIJvintage » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:56 pm

settebello wrote:Rich that was a Greco thread. :wink:
And the 1200 have a headstockbreak. :-?

Volker

LOL, I wasn't paying attention, was I :lol: ....................

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Post by MIJvintage » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:02 pm

bart wrote:Wow, the greco would have cost about EUR1300 at my door then. But i wouldn't know how to buy it from that place.

Nice guitars!

Most of the Japanese digimart sellers won't even reply to non Japanese emails.

Even when you have become established with a seller, they can turn on you in a second, just for politely asking about a questionable issue .............

bart
Guitar God

Post by bart » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:34 pm

MIJvintage wrote:
bart wrote:Wow, the greco would have cost about EUR1300 at my door then. But i wouldn't know how to buy it from that place.

Nice guitars!

Most of the Japanese digimart sellers won't even reply to non Japanese emails.

Even when you have become established with a seller, they can turn on you in a second, just for politely asking about a questionable issue .............
Ah yes, maybe some normal things to us europeans are considered rude over there. I'm no expert but their social behaviour are quite advanced and facinating. I find them very polite and honest though (the little i have been in contact with them).

MIJvintage
Guitar God

Post by MIJvintage » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:59 pm

bart wrote: Ah yes, maybe some normal things to us europeans are considered rude over there. I'm no expert but their social behaviour are quite advanced and facinating. I find them very polite and honest though (the little i have been in contact with them).

From 1989 thru 1991 I worked with many Japanese, at Hitachi Semiconductor US, formerly in Irving, TX.

They are very polite but they easily take offense, particularlly from their own.

The dealings I have had with sellers from digimart is not much different; they will take offense at the smallest things.

I believe the Japanese generally must suffer from some delusional paranoia ..................

Nate
Sus4add11

Post by Nate » Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:25 am

LOL about the japanese and delusional paranoia,thats piss funny :lol: i actually saw that st100 2 days after it was posted and babel fished the site so i could understand it but it had sold a few days later..................nAte

kmarccoco
Guitar God

Post by kmarccoco » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:01 am

Looks like Mark got that one... Quite rare, I've never seen a 1978 St 100.

1978 ST100 with no gold hardware. The saddles shape look different on it. I wonder if they were proto type ..

Very nice guitar Mark!!!
:D
Less is more

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:16 am

MIJvintage wrote:Having said that, I still cannot accept the fact that the Springys have a walnut plug on the head stock face & a skunk stripe on the back; all on a round lam' neck.
As good as anyone believes these guitars are, the inaccuracies as compared to the real deal are just unacceptable, IMO ...........
I'll take a Bacchus BST-64V, any day of the week :)
I have an ST80 & a BST-64V, & the ST80 wins, hands down, simply because the neck is so much nicer - slim & almost perfect with that slight V profile. The Bacchus neck is just too chunky for me. And if you get a 1980 to 1982 Springy, you don't get that stupid headstock plug that the earlier RW board models have - I agree that does look odd.

Having said that, the Bacchus sounds much better, unless you change the thin & weedy E pickups on the Springy, but it's easy to change the sound of a Strat, but hard to change the feel. With better pickups, the ST80 sounds great, & has bags of character.