Tokai breezysound TE70 on ebay

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ampkits

Reaction score
Hi,

Great site!

I am kind of interested to get a breezysound.

Here's one on ebay currently. Is this good? Not sure how one can tell if it's a TE70 (ash body?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300261933725&_trksid=p2759.l1259

Sorry if this is a member's guitar. Will also ask if there's any routes etc inside.

Thanks!

Nik

Hi,
I'm almost certain that's not a TE-50 and emailed the seller to tell him--he never responded and didn't put my question in his auction! It's probably a very nice TE-50--still a good guitar, but not a TE-70. I even emailed him links to the correct catalogue pages, and he is now talking about a TE-95 which I don't think was ever made. I wouldn't trust what he's saying about the model whatsoever...
________
LM002

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I thought it was a TE-50 as well but with Tokais, I guess it's so hard to tell since there are many exceptions.

So, a TE70 must be with body binding, right?

He mentioned that in 1981, Tokai made only TE95 and TE70 only, with TE70 without binding.

I am not sure if I found 1981 catalog pages for the TEs in the catalog pages on this website, so I have no idea.

Thanks!

Nik

This is my 1980 TE70 - 2 piece Sen Ash bound body:

149_4917.jpg

149_4910.jpg

Mike

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies!

Perhaps TE70, as marcusnieman pointed out to me, would be with no binding if it's a 50s replica?

Mike, that's an awesome looking pc!

I myself have 5 Springies and a Goldstar Strat. Dont know that much abt the Breezies.

I do have one weird Springy Sound. It says 100 at the back. But it's made to be like a Les Paul, with very flamey (and bookmatched?) top, humbuckers, and the bridge is not like the usual Strat type, and with brass saddles. It's almost mint, and came with student hand written notes from the 80s (some scales in pencil!) inside the box. I think I saw what model it was, VS100 or something like that (Springy Love Rock Wannabe :))

Thanks!

Nik

It's a great Tele!

How about some pics of this weird Springy/Love Rock hybrid?

Hi stratman,

Sure I'll take pics but we have holidays here till after 1st week of October.

The only info I have is this thread:

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=8148&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=springy+100

The guy seems to have VS-80, while mine is VS-100 (due to 100 sticker at the back).

The color is more like the std burst Les Paul, not red like that one in the thread above.

I am also pretty sure the bridge on mine isnt like that. It doesnt look like a taditional fender bridge at all, and has brass saddles.

The thing has been sitting inside its box since it came in from USA (I got it cheap on ebay, people missed it, perhaps due to non standard design, and guy also didn't say about it being "100"). :)

Oh well, pics will tell I guess. Till after I come back!

Thanks!

Nik

Hi, I just joined and just grabbed this one on ebay. I was in need of a maple neck Tele, I'm a huge MIJ fan (fender, fernandez, etc...) and this one popped up. I talked him down to $595 shipped, hopefully I didn't get screwed... I see here that it's probably at TE50 (vs. TE70) and while I do LOVE bound Tele's I already have a custom RW neck pinecaster so no need for RW right now.
I've tried to do as much research as possible on this, I guess the spaghetti logo makes it about right for '81? It looks a little beat, but I dig that natural relicing especially on my '50's style Tele's anyway.
So, do you guys think modding this <new bridge, possible electronics, pickups> might be okay or leave as is... I guess I'll know more when it's here.
Anyway, cool place. I've already learned at lot.
Peace, Greg

Greg,

Congrats! That's a good price, I think. Do let us know how you find it!

With the Tokais, I guess it's same as Fenders. Some really sing, some need work (maybe just a setup). If it's to be your regularly used guitar, mod it to you liking I guess but no new holes if possible, and keep original parts for resale.

One of my Springies, the worst one, condition wise, has the lightest and most resonant body. I just ordered some callaham bridge and parts, and will put in some new pickups as well.

To me, they are good candidate, due to their inherent quality, to really try to experiment and see if it'd get as close to a real 50s strat, without spending too much.

Well, enjoy! My search for a breezy continues! :)

Thanks!

Nik

Hi Greg,
I'm glad you got it for a decent price--that's about what a TE-50 should go for, and if you got free shipping then it's a deal. I have the same guitar (1980 model) with a rosewood neck and it's an amazing guitar. I love the pickups and the neck is really nice. Hope you enjoy it!

Chris :D
________
MARIJUANA BUBBLER

Greg,

You never know till you get it! I'm not always a huge fan of Japanese pickups, so i didn't know what to expect from my TE70. It surprised me - it's loud and punchy with real character. Only problem is the microphonic bridge pickup, but that's going to cost me ?10 to get wax potted. After that, it should get some regular use.

The 6 piece bridge is much more comfortable than the 3 piece vintage type that I've got used to on my Fender.

Cool, thanks all. I will give it a go when it comes in and see about upgrading or not. I've had my fair share of MIJ Fender's which I dig, but never a Tokai so I'm pretty stoked. Thanks

marcusnieman said:
stratman323 said:
Only problem is the microphonic bridge pickup.

Someone explain this to me......what exactly does that mean? I've heard the term many times with respect to non wax potted pickups.

A microphonic pickup will squeel with feedback (like a microphone) at high volume/gain, i.e. not a nice musical feedback. wax potting usually solves this as it removes any air gaps in the windings.

A pickup that has been wound well doesn't normally require potting unless you play with loads of gain.

JohnA said:
A pickup that has been wound well doesn't normally require potting unless you play with loads of gain.

Hmmm, I don't think I can agree with that statement. A fair proportion of Tele bridge pickups seem to be microphonic, I think the metal plate on the bottom exacerbates the problem.

Back