Just won Tokai Springy sound 1981 ST- 60/80 for $521, WHAT?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Innos

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110276401361
Just won this thing, for the price you see.
Did I get one heck of a deal, or is there something I'm not seeing?
Would really appreciate a quick response, as he'll probably want his money asap.
Although I do realize most of you probably aren't browsing forums at the moment, because of the time difference etc.

I'm not saying I'm NOT going to pay, but if it's fake, or not what he said it was in the description, he can't call me on it, right?

If i'm not wrong that is a goldstar st-50, the "final Prospec" saddles and "U" pickups are for the goldstars. It may have a springy neck on a goldstar body, i'm sure someone will chime in and fill in the gaps..

Mick

Well its not a ST-80 no V neck,+ hes got the pup stamps the wrong way around,Ez are on the higher models ie ST-80s and above some 60s do have Ez. U stamped pups are on ST-60s or Goldstars ST-50s.Price is good but dont forget the import duty here in the UK you can add about 22% on top of the buying price + the postage ie guitar 300 + postage 100 thats 400 in total 22% of 400 = 88 Final total 488 :wink:

I would say its a Goldstar ST-50 and thats the price you would pay. :wink:

People should look and read/post a question before bidding :evil: . Togps is right :wink:

The thing is people dont like asking because they think they are the only ones who know about it,and they think they are going to get a bargin by keeping it secret so they dont like asking any questions,how many times have we seen this on people with 1 post :cry:

I bid before asking because a strat wasn't my main priority right now, and I bid on it mostly for the price.
Didn't think I would, but for 500 dollars I couldn't resist.
Seemed like a Tokai to me, but didn't think of the fact that it might be a lower model with a Springy Sound decal.

So it's a Goldstar ST-50 with a Springy Sound decal?
Having a Goldstar wouldn't bother me that much, but it does if it has a Springy Sound decal, and the seller tried to fool me.
It seems he's been dealing quite alot of Tokais lately, so you think he would notice a fake?

What makes you guys think it's a Goldstar body? The later Springys (81/82?) had FINAL PROSPEC saddles didn't they? Didn't the Springy ST50s have U pickups?. If it's a Springy ST50, surely it's not a bad price?

It's not an ST80, as others have said, but then it shouldn't be an ST80 for that money!

However, as it has the 11 hole scratchplate, it looks as though the body is from a rosewood board guitar - ie a 64 copy. But how do we tell the difference between a Springy ST50 body & a Goldstar ST50 body? And does it make a huge difference for that money?

Mike

But did the Springys ever have steel trem blocks?
I agree it's not important at the price, I paid the same for my Goldie (which I'm playing right now!)

/Magnus

It also has Deluxe tuners. But if the late Springys were identical to the Goldies there's really no telling them apart and I guess it might be a Springy after all?

/M

The difference between a late Springy & an early Goldie is the name. You tend to pay an extra ?100 on average for the cooler decal.

So it's either a Goldstar ST50, or a Springy Sound ST-50 '60s reissue body and ST-50-60 '50s neck?

Well, it looks to me like the tuning gears are not original; I can see filled holes, on the shot of the back of the headstock. So... maybe an ST-45?

Hmm, but is it still a good buy?
A Goldstar or frankenstein Goldstar/Springy Sound with a hardcase is well worth 500 dollars?

This is getting really tricky, I think you'll have to wait until you get the guitar or tell the seller you don't want to pay. Personally I think you have grounds enough for an annullment. :-? If you return it later you'll very probably get stuck with at least the shipping costs.

/Magnus

Latest posts

Back