Rickenbacker copies on ebay--pool on how long they'll last??

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheshirecatsmile

Reaction score
Wow--2 Ricky copies on ebay at the same time! Any bets on how long until the Rick-o-cops shut them down?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GRECO-RG-120-12-STRING-ELECTRIC-BLACK-MIJ-Japan_W0QQitemZ140210476066QQihZ004QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

and

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROCKINBETTER-RIC-4001-TYPE-BASS-BY-TOKAI_W0QQitemZ130201523955QQihZ003QQcategoryZ4713QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD2VQQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p1638.m122

:D
________
Easy vape vaporizer

I suppose it's quite possible that they monitor posts like this on sites like this, then get the ads pulled?

Mike

stratman323 said:
I suppose it's quite possible that they monitor posts like this on sites like this, then get the ads pulled?

Mike
Seems that way. The black 12-string had been up there all week and was pulled about 9 this morning after this thread was posted on the Tokai Forum last evening. That or we've got spies. BTW, the Greco 12-string is still for sale--same terms as the bay listing. PM me for details.

There were no references whatsoever to anything about rickenbacker, not even the words "copy" or "replica" were used. It was listed only as a Greco RG-120 in the category of "other guitars."

This is what Ebay says about it:

Thank you for your recent auction-style listing on eBay. Unfortunately, these items breached one or more of our policies and had to be removed from the site:

140210476066 - GRECO RG-120 12-STRING ELECTRIC BLACK MIJ Japan

Your eBay fees for this item have been credited to your account and all bidders on this item have been notified of its removal.

because Filofax UK reported it to us for violating their intellectual property rights. When eBay is notified by a rights owner of an intellectual property rights infringement, eBay must remove the item in order to meet certain legal requirements.

Why was your listing removed?

Trademark infringement is unlawful and breaches eBay's policies. A trademark is a unique sign (such as a name, word, phrase, logo, or symbol) that a company uses to identify its products and/or services.

Using another company's trademark in a way that may confuse buyers about the source of goods or services, or confuses buyers into believing that the seller is affiliated with, sponsored by or endorsed by the trademark owner is both illegal and against eBay's policies. Examples include counterfeits, unauthorised replica items and items that bear the brand or logo of a company without that company's permission.

Guideline: If the product you are listing bears the brand or logo of a company, but it wasn't made or authorised by that company, don't sell it on eBay. The rights owner for the item you listed sent us a signed legal statement telling us that your item infringed their copyright, trademark or other rights. We were therefore legally obliged to remove the listing.

If you have any questions about the removal of your listing please contact the rights owners directly.

Questions about the specific violation should be addressed to Filofax UK

You can send an email to: [email protected]

For more information on how eBay protects Intellectual Property, please visit the following Help page:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tp/programs-vero-ov.html

Although there may be similar items currently listed on eBay, please be assured that your listings have not been targeted in any way. We review all listings that are reported to us by eBay members and participants in the VeRO (Verified Rights Owner) Programme, and we rely on these reports to help keep eBay a safe and reputable place to buy and sell.

We appreciate your membership of our community, so please keep in mind that repeatedly listing items that breach our policies may lead to the suspension of your account.

Here's what to do if you have further questions:

1) To find out more about our intellectual property policies and VeRO take eBay's brief tutorial by copying this link into a new browser window:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/tutorial/verotutorial/intro.html

2) You may also find it useful to read the "Why eBay May Remove Your Listing" Help page by copying this link into a new browser window:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/confidence/listing-ended.html

3) If your item was ended by the VeRO programme, and you think the listing was removed in error have a look at the rights owner's About Me page to review their infringement policies. Then, if you still think that your listing was removed in error, please contact the rights owner and let them know.

If you still have questions after reading this information, you can contact eBay by clicking "Contact Us" on any eBay Help page.

We hope that this information clarifies why your item was removed and we thank you for your cooperation.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

The seller didn't manufacture the guitar and didn't infringe on anyone's trademark as claimed in this statement. If the so-called 'rights-owner' has a problem with anyone, it would be the manufacturer which is NOT the private seller.

RIC CEO John Hall & his flock of goons religiously guard their registered & trademarked instruments; eBay is under constant scrutiny by the folks at RIC, and they have no problem whatsoever getting eBay to pull listings that infringe

Sorry to hear that. If the Ricky police are reading this, might I respectfully suggest that you go f*%? yourselves? What a sad and pathetic thing to do, when you were so careful not to breach their trademark. At least Fender aren't sad enough to get Springy ads pulled just because Tokai were being more than a bit cheeky 30 years ago.

It might be best if Ricky fans didn't draw attention to eBay ads on here, in case there are spys in the camp. Very sad to have to say that though :evil:

MIJvintage said:
RIC CEO John Hall & his flock of goons religiously guard their registered & trademarked instruments; eBay is under constant scrutiny by the folks at RIC, and they have no problem whatsoever getting eBay to pull listings that infringe
Perhaps their time and efforts would be better spent improving the manufacturing quality of their products rather than infringing on the 'rights' of private individuals.

If members will recall my very FIRST post to the TF, I posted this

http://www.tokaiforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=40021&highlight=#40021

this is when sneaky & several other TF members started giving me shizzle about being a dealer, who is that, & such BS; wow, what a sweet welcome.......................THANKS to Brock tho', he was about the only one that wasn't slinging **** at me...............

well anywho, It took me FOREVER to sell those God forsaken POS, because they were Rick copies

I had a couple of eBay listings that were quickly pulled & learned that to sell a RIC copy is a true pain in the a**, if you want to do it via eBay = IMPOSSIBLE

Word of advice from someone (ME) that knows; do not put a RIC copy on eBay = wasting your time.................

Jim Jones said:
In all fairness you did come off like a bit of a dick.

Jim

well, let's see; I posted a classified ad, I requested serious inquiries, no games, PM me if interested, I played along when I was getting shiz about the 'rare' word, and then I explained that I wasn't John C aka mijguitar........

..........so, how is that being a dick, Jim?...............

I think if they were checking on this site these would both have been pulled by now. The R*icky ads that seem to last longest seem to be the ones with no mention of the R-word, but even then they've been catching those too. If anyone is shopping for a copy and sees a listing they like on ebay, I suggest messaging the seller directly with your email address--if it gets pulled then they can deal with you directly. These seem to turn up fairly regularly on Craigslist, in Toronto at least, probably because of troubles with ebay--Craigslist don't seem to pull them, or maybe that's just too much work to monitor.

It's this kind of corporate pettiness that would be a turn-off to me if I were thinking of buying one a real one.

:x
________
Michigan Marijuana Dispensary

MIJvintage said:
Jim Jones said:
In all fairness you did come off like a bit of a dick.

Jim

well, let's see; I posted a classified ad, I requested serious inquiries, no games, PM me if interested, I played along when I was getting shiz about the 'rare' word, and then I explained that I wasn't John C aka mijguitar........

..........so, how is that being a dick, Jim?...............

Re-read the thread, I stand by my statement. If I recall correctly that was posted back when you were brand new to the forum and people (who had been members for a long time before that), asked you some questions. You came off like you had a chip on your shoulder.

Jim

Jim Jones said:
Re-read the thread, I stand by my statement. If I recall correctly that was posted back when you were brand new to the forum and people (who had been members for a long time before that), asked you some questions. You came off like you had a chip on your shoulder.

Jim

I have read it & yes, it was "back when" I was new to the forum; as I stated, it was my first post

So, by posting a classified, and requesting discretion via PMs, that is your definition of being a dick & having a chip on one's shoulder

huh.......................................................

No, it's "coming out of the gate" with an attitude. And you did.

I like this forum because it's one of the most civil on the net so I won't say any more about it.

Jim

Jim Jones said:
No, it's "coming out of the gate" with an attitude. And you did.

I like this forum because it's one of the most civil on the net so I won't say any more about it.

Jim

You're the one making the accusation here, not me so, if you want to talk about civility, then maybe you should walk the walk.

Again, how is my, or anyone else's posting a classified & requesting contact via PM being a dick, as you put it?

I am waiting for a valid response............................

cheshirecatsmile said:
It's this kind of corporate pettiness that would be a turn-off to me if I were thinking of buying one a real one. :x

I totally agree. Luckily I have no interest in Rickenbackers, but if I did I would have to reconsider - to me they are indulging in corporate bullying of private individuals who are no threat to their company. Gibson & Fender usually seem to get the balance almost right - Rickenbacker are pathetic.

MIJvintage said:
(SNIP) well anywho, It took me FOREVER to sell those God forsaken POS, because they were Rick copies (SNIP)

Hmmm- Godforsaken "Pieces of Shi*"? Glad I wasn't one of your victims.

john5.jpg

Here's my Ric copy and I'm diggin' the hell out of it. My only criticism is that the pickups are a bit mellow on tone (but that's a personal thing). I'm swapping them out for brighter single coils.

Other than that, the fit, finish and materials are, all, extremely well done. I paid $600.00 USD and had to make the purchase through a vendor up in Canada. You won't see this one being pulled off eBay by John Hall. It's a keeper!

Got a few myself.

rk%20my%20greco%20rics%20jan08a.jpg

All of them but one are over 20-years-old and the fit and finish quality and sound of all of them beat the snot out any of the junk that's come out of Santa Ana since the late 60's.

Hall (who inherited a very good company but hasn't created a single thing in his whole life except maybe gas after a bean meal), by attempting to keep private individuals from selling them, has only succeeded in making the MIJs harder to get, more desirable and driven their prices up. What a great businessman.

Back