Orville Plaintop with nitro

Discussion area for Orville and Orville by Gibson guitars

Moderator: ned

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Orville Plaintop with nitro

Post by Koubayashi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:09 am

Picked this beauty up today.

its a bit weird cause it has nitro finish and before the refret it had FEB.
Anyone seen this on an Orville before?

Edit: It also has one piece back. Weighs in at 3.75kg.
Probably a fantastic player.

Image

This is also a little interesting:
Image
Last edited by Koubayashi on Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

jacco
Guitar God
Posts: 2871
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:51 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: Orville Plaintop with nitro

Post by jacco » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:52 am

Koubayashi wrote:Picked this beauty up today.

its a bit weird cause it has nitro finish and before the refret it had FEB.
Anyone seen this on an Orville before?

Image
sure it isn't a refin?

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:09 am

I don't think it is a refin.
Looks straight to me.

Here is the neck PU cavity

Image

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:10 am

how did you test it for nitro? and whats the evidence of fret binding?

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:46 pm

villager wrote:how did you test it for nitro? and whats the evidence of fret binding?
To test the nitro I always do as follows:

Firstly: acetone
Secondly: nitrocellulose solvent

It got all sticky and white from the acetone and the nitro solvent whiped it off good.

Its the same method I used when I discovered that not all high end Super Reals are finished in nitro. Poly finish doesn't react at all with acetone, nor nitro solvent.

The neck binding have left overs from the FEB.
Edges and "little bumps" are left.
Whoever refretted it didn't sand it down properly.

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:52 pm

well in that case its a very wierd orville!!!

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:58 pm

villager wrote:well in that case its a very wierd orville!!!
Indeed.

Since the Japanese are so inconsistant I test the finish on all guitars.
I was very surprised.
I was convinced it had a 2-3 piece body at first but then I polished it up and checked the edges in proper light, there is no seam anywhere.

The pots, the switch, the wiring and the PUPs are non-original so there is no information to find.

A pleasant surprise for sure.
So pleasant that I bought two Orvilles from the same year today :D

jacco
Guitar God
Posts: 2871
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:51 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by jacco » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:56 pm

Koubayashi wrote:A pleasant surprise for sure.
So pleasant that I bought two Orvilles from the same year today :D
which year is that?

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:08 pm

i have just had 2 one piece backed ObG recently, but those were 2 of about 5 in all i have seen, i have no experience with orvilles, but nothing surprises me about these, matbe it was destined to be an ObG and got relegated at the last moment!! who knows:

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:10 pm

jacco wrote:
Koubayashi wrote:A pleasant surprise for sure.
So pleasant that I bought two Orvilles from the same year today :D
which year is that?
98.
Last run isn't it?

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:11 pm

villager wrote:i have just had 2 one piece backed ObG recently, but those were 2 of about 5 in all i have seen, i have no experience with orvilles, but nothing surprises me about these, matbe it was destined to be an ObG and got relegated at the last moment!! who knows:

I also suspect that it was destined to be an ObG 59ri but ended up as a "regular" Orville.

jacco
Guitar God
Posts: 2871
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:51 am
Location: Netherlands

Post by jacco » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Koubayashi wrote:
jacco wrote:
Koubayashi wrote:A pleasant surprise for sure.
So pleasant that I bought two Orvilles from the same year today :D
which year is that?
98.
Last run isn't it?
Interesting, wouldn't expect that.
Like villager said; it would be logical these were intended to become ObGs.. but if so then they should from 95 I guess

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:30 pm

jacco wrote:
Koubayashi wrote:
jacco wrote:
Koubayashi wrote:A pleasant surprise for sure.
So pleasant that I bought two Orvilles from the same year today :D
which year is that?
98.
Last run isn't it?
Interesting, wouldn't expect that.
Like villager said; it would be logical these were intended to become ObGs.. but if so then they should from 95 I guess
Ooops. Maybe I misread the serial :D
I just turned it around and had a quick glance at it.

Dang. I might have made a mistake today :D

I will look more carefully and see what it says.

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3679
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:12 am

has to be 92/93/94/95 for fret binding

Koubayashi
Guitar God
Posts: 1544
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 2:08 am
Location: Tokyo

Post by Koubayashi » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:41 am

I checked the serial carefully

It starts with either a 3, 5, 6 or 8.

I can't decide if it's a 3 or 8 or a 5 or 6.

There are good arguments for every number :D

The serial number looks a bit smeared which could be the result of a refin but I can't see any other signs of a refin. And I have seen smeared serial numbers on tonnes of Japanese Lesters.


And what is up with the one piece body???
Btw, no FEB after 95? We both know that the Japanese makers were seriously inconsistant so I don't take that as a truth:wink:

Which leads to another question: are all ObG supposed to be finished in nitro? I have read that they should but I have had both reissues and "Standards" which were finished in poly.

Post Reply