Makeover: '76 Burny FLG70 -> Jimmy Page Style Les Paul

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Ed

Reaction score
Makeover of a broken Burny FLG-70 to a "Jimmy Page No. 1" Style Les Paul.

Original condition:
Burny_0012.jpg

After the makeover:
burny_fastfertig_001.jpg

burny_fastfertig_001a.jpg

burny_fastfertig_002.jpg

burny_fastfertig_003.jpg

burny_fastfertig_004.jpg

wulfman said:
Nice job, she looks great. What pickups and bridge/tailpiece did you put on?
Neckpickup: Stephens Vintage LAB PAF
Bridgepickup: '68 Gibson T-Top (PAT-Sticker)
Bridge: Allparts ABR-1
STP: ??? Alu

I still replace the bridge with a Retrospec ABR-1 and the Tailpiece with a DMC Tailpiece. Both are not available at the moment.

I like the finish. I'm pretty sure his #1 had gold Grovers and an exposed double white bridge pickup during most of the Zep years.

Cali Girl said:
I like the finish. I'm pretty sure his #1 had gold Grovers and an exposed double white bridge pickup during most of the Zep years.

Big Ed said:
Makeover of a broken Burny FLG-70 to a "Jimmy Page No. 1" Style Les Paul.

Not replica. If you want to be pedantic, start with the "Burny" on the headstock ;)

Freebird said:
Big Ed said:
mojoburst said:
The ?59-reshaped top looks AMAZING!! Dig the wonderful ?burst too!! Awesome Job, Ed!
Sorry Mojo, but it is a '54 shaped top! :wink:

Please explain the difference in top shape. Thanks
That is not simple to explain. There are many small differences with the top shaping.
For example here's the range between the pick-ups:

difference_54_59.jpg

The shaping form of the '54 is generally rounder and softer and does not appear therefore not so strongly outlined.

A '54 Les Paul Goldtop I could measured by myself. The cover form for the '59 is from the Bartlettwood plan.

Cali Girl said:

The No. 1 has golden Grovers, which are already strongly worn out. That did not please me however.

As template I used this photo:

jimmy-page-colour91.jpg

Here has the No. 1 a black pickup at the bridge.
Pleases me also better.

In addition it should not become a 100% replica, but my own interpretation of the No. 1! :wink:

Thanks for the info. I have never seen the top differences you mention referenced anywhere. Do you now where I can find that information? You did a great job with the guitar. I AM VERY IMPRESSED. BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!

The difference was also not conscious to me.
It was noticeable to me only, when I measured the '54 Gibson Goldtop.

I do not have an official reference. The realizations and also the picture are based on own experiences.
I do not lay a claim on completeness and correctness.

I just keep coming back to this thread and looking at the fantastic work and great photos!!! The refret came out beautifully too. :D

Latest posts

Back