How to recognize a Greco EG1000R 1978 custom LP

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ermis33

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a chance of getting what seems to be a 1978 Greco EG1000r custom LP, which I'm going to try tomorrow in person. The thing is that the seller is not sure about the model, since he doesn't know what kind of pickups the guitar has (they are uncovered) and given that the guitar's hardware seems to be chrome other than golden - most probably the tuners and the bridge have been replaced - and that it probably has a dark rosewood fretbd.

From my own research I have gathered that the basic specs of a 1978 Greco EG1000R custom LP are 1) ebony fretboard with fred edge binding and mother of pearl block inlays, 2) slim 70s three piece maple neck, 3) one piece maple top over one piece mahogany body, 4) carved serial number on headstock back, 5) Grover tuners, 6) "lawsuit" split diamond headstock, 6) a pair of Maxon U3000 or PU2.covered humbuckers, 7) nitro finish and 8) golden hardware all around.

So I would like to ask the more Greco knowledgeable forum members 1) is my list of specs accurate? 2) is there any chance that the said model came in a rosewood fretboard variation? 3) what else should I look for in order to determine if model of the guitar is right or if it is a lower model? 4) given that I plan to get the guitar if it proves to be the 1000 model, provided the price lower the bit (say 700 to750 eur), is it worth it to get it even if it proves to be a lower model ( i.e. EG800 which I believe is almost the same with nitro finish and different pups, or even a lower one, i.e. EG500) ? And what would be a good price then?

I am attaching some photos of the actual guitar I am going to inspect tomorrow for reference.

Apologies for the long post but I believe it might prove useful in consolidating the basic specs of the pre Super Real era Greco customs.

Thanks in advance for any input!
ivVqXGU.jpeg

cG1B8Q4.jpeg

tQnPWpD.jpeg

kYjMcLR.jpeg

FT8dms2.jpeg

JOjDvns.jpeg

Back