There is NOBODY on THIS FORUM!!! LOL

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol which ones Mitch? I still don't get notifications when someone has posted in a topic I also participate, so I miss a lot.

I have a ton of questions. Like where do I get tuners for my bass that line up. Which acoustics if any are great? And how about this one, are the PU's in my almost 1980 Jazz great? It just says Greco Electric bass on it and then it says Brazen picker professional. Is that the top of the line? The PU's in the 74 Gneco P bass are fantastic and so is the bass. I'm going to get the thinest possible coat of Black paint and nitro put on the jazz.

Hey Mitch. When I have a question regarding a mij guitar I usually use the advanced search feature in this forum and the mylespaul forum. Most of the time I find the answer. If not, I ask the question.

True, those are not popular items. You can get a lot of great basses and acoustics cheap in whatever country you live in so the value just isn't there for the MIJ stuff. Tokai LS & ST and other hi spec guitars, that's a different story :)

Hey Mitch,

You can't go wrong with a Yairi acoustic. Of course, Headway also make a fine guitar!

I'm looking for old viby guitars that are also great. So far the basses I have purchased are great. And they were cheap but I see on ebay the basses are not cheap. Acoustics from Greco must be good but the one I have is not. I'm pretty snotty about acoustics having owned the best in the world but I still believe there must be some great Greco acoustics that were made. I might take another chance on another one and see.

Mitch, this thread might help you narrow down your search for a quality MIJ acoustic;

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149535

YeahI'm hip to the Yamahas I have a slew of them. They are ok. Not great. Yairi's never impressed me either. I'm just curious if Greco made one that was great. I bet they did.

Hi Mitch, I'm guilty of being a lurker on here rather than a poster!

I'm looking into purchasing a Greco for my next guitar.Typically, just missed out on a nice looking 84 Mint Collection on fleabay over the weekend that was 10 miles away from my house!

From your previous posts I can see that you source most of your Grecos from the land of the rising sun, what sites do you use? Jauce/Rinkaya? Can you offer any advice on any other sites to use?

Cheers dude,

Ad

Have you tried any Headway acoustics? They aren't cheap for the MIJ ones but the one I have was the best I could find out of a dozen vintage MIJs I tried.

I can`t speak for all Greco acoustics, only the ones I`ve seen...and none of those tempted me and I love old MIJ acoustics, I have a lot of em, mostly nylon strings. My oldest is a 1948 Suzuki pictured in the linked thread above...the Japanese may have exported a lot of crap when I was a kid but since arriving in Japan I have seen thats not all they made. There were a lot of obscure Japanese makers, some much better than others and Nagoya seems to have been the place for builders. My oldest Yamahas are, from what I have uncovered over the years, from the early 1950s and evidently built for Yamaha by somebody else.

nice! way to wake up the forum! :D

I still check here and miss how active it used to be. I post on mylespaul forum but feel like greco strat / tele posts will get bashed there.

I'm still waiting to find out if SV guitars are as good as SA's. I'm dying to get a hollowbody greco / burny / tokai.

I use ebay but those 2 sites as well and that's it. I still get just as good deals on ebay sometimes. Shipping KILLS you though on everything. I bought a ton as I was on a mission to find a guitar to Evertune. And I did it JUSt in time for my European trip. Now I'm over it. and selling. I'm selling 3 Bacchus and a few Greco's. BUt I'll stop looking for a Greco Acoustic then as the one I have is junk. And the old yamaha's sound good but play like crap so I'm way over them.

Also no I have not tried the Headway acoustics. I almost did but chickened out. Whats the neck profile like?

Mitch Malloy said:
I use ebay but those 2 sites as well and that's it. I still get just as good deals on ebay sometimes. Shipping KILLS you though on everything. I bought a ton as I was on a mission to find a guitar to Evertune. And I did it JUSt in time for my European trip. Now I'm over it. and selling. I'm selling 3 Bacchus and a few Greco's. BUt I'll stop looking for a Greco Acoustic then as the one I have is junk. And the old yamaha's sound good but play like crap so I'm way over them.

Thanks Mitch.The shipping costs and auction fees for Jauce/Rinkaya seem pretty crippling.In most cases you seem to pay nearly twice the price in the end it seems.I'll stick to searching in the EU or the States.

Out of the ton you bought, are there any models you would try and avoid?I wouldn't mind a MIJ LP Deluxe with mini buckers but I'm not sure if anyone made them back in the day :-? Plus I could put it to the test against my 78 Gibson LP Deluxe :D

I wish we could go back to the days when most people felt that way about Yamahas, unfortunately, too many have discovered that generalization just isn`t true and prices are going way up.

Back