1982 Mint Collection EG 'plain top' Arrives

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIJvintage

Reaction score
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260546490667&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

here's a nice 1982 Greco Mint Collection EG plain top.
2 pc./center seam solid :) plain top, Double Trick pups, looks like it could be a really nice one :D
1982EGplaintop.jpg

one thing I don't get is the routing for the pickups is not 'correct' which is odd.

I have a 1982 with Scream'in pickups that does have the 'correct' channel routing.

why would an example from the same year (1982) with cheaper pickups (Scream'in) have the proper/correct routing, and the one with the more expensive pickups (Double Trick) have the incorrect routing? :-?
Very odd .......................

EDIT: just found out a forum member 'across the pond' used to own this one, and that the seller is also a TF member so, I guess this one is staying in the family so to speak :) .................... :D

Udonitron said:
I was watching that one...gorgeous no? :D

the top it is quite attractive; lots of annual ring exposure from the way the lumber is cut.
seems to be more or less flat sawn, which is typical for plain tops

the whole package is actually quite attractive, as this example has a very nice overall set of attributes :)

looking forward to it's arrival :D

nice grab Rich. I was watching that too.... :wink:

There's an identical one in Japan right now on auction, but it is at least $200 more than this one after fees, shipping etc. Someone did nicelyy apply a "Les Paul model" decal to it tho'

3pupLPC said:

There's an identical one in Japan right now on auction, but it is at least $200 more than this one after fees, shipping etc. Someone did nicelyy apply a "Les Paul model" decal to it tho'

yeah, the one on YJ has a 'Prices Ends' price of 100,000 yen & it looks like a veneer top :(

I think this soild top looks waaaaaaaay more attractive & it won't ever go to bits :lol: ...........

plain tops rule :D ...............

hi
got this one last week .... a early mint serie from 82
i has a mable top and oil caps ... bone nut ,,, a big neck not huge,,,... got a lot off clouding on the back and neck ...long tenor and screaming 82 pickups ,,,, :( i can not see how many pieces it is made off ,,,, but i dont belive it is a 1 piece body ,,, it is only missing FEB ,,,, and it has the 'correct' channel routing
a very good guitar ,,,, i like the greco with serial like 2 xxxx
they dont feel the same as the A82xxxx serial guitars ...
got a super power eg 500 with the same kind off serial 2 xxxx
that i really love ,,,,it has FEB but a 3 piece top :(
here is the link for the eg 450
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22552280@N02/sets/72157622248105701/
it would be nice to find out witch factory made this greco :D :D
all the best
otto

Yeah I agree on the plain tops! I scooped up this Aria LS800 last week for a great deal due to the burst color and top :D Mmmm creamy plain tops - good old Arias are up there with Tokai and Greco but they just do not get the recognition which = super cheap deals

casperz01-img600x450-1264233113qneq0q64933.jpg

muccax said:
hi

it would be nice to find out witch factory made this greco :D :D
all the best
otto

Yeah that most likely is made at the Fujigen factory. The Mint Collection is hands down Greco's "Pi?ce de r?sistance"

hi
i know they used 3 difference serial numbers ,,, the normal fujigen A81xxx and the small inked serial 2 xxxx and the bigger 2 xxxx serial
but i was not sure the were made at the same factory ???? did belive that they last 2 types off serial were made by a sub contracter ??
the dont feel the same to me ..... as the normal A81xxxx fujigen guitar

all the best
otto

MIJvintage said:
3pupLPC said:

yeah, the one on YJ has a 'Prices Ends' price of 100,000 yen & it looks like a veneer top :(

I think this soild top looks waaaaaaaay more attractive & it won't ever go to bits :lol: ...........

plain tops rule :D ...............

it does have a very nice pattern... funny how these things stay "in the family".... :D

3pupLPC said:
it does have a very nice pattern... funny how these things stay "in the family".... :D

I was looking at a circa early 1990s Greco plain top that a forum member had for sale in Europe but shipping would have been a minimum of $220 USD, and that was just a 'ballpark' guess, as I never received an actual quote.

That would make RinkYa shipping look like a bargain, which it is no bargain.

I like the idea of this 1982 Greco much better than the 1990s Greco, as it has some older 'old wood' and the price will keep $600 to $700 in my pocket that could have been spent on the Greco in Europe, and the '82 is probably a better guitar :D ..................

That's insane... I just shipped a guitar back to Japan (they sent the wrong one if you can believe it) and it only cost me (them) $95.00, fully insured, Priority shipping.

3pupLPC said:
That's insane... I just shipped a guitar back to Japan (they sent the wrong one if you can believe it) and it only cost me (them) $95.00, fully insured, Priority shipping.

what were you supposed to get, and what did they send instead?

they should 100% refund your shipping charge, and offer you free shipping on your next purchase too .....................

dumbasses :roll: .......................

That was the completely screwed up purchase of my project RLC-60 a couple of months ago, that I have turned into my bigsby-equipped Custom. I was waiting for this...

4091518217_983ca879ab1.jpg

and opened up this instead...

IMG_0001.jpg

I flipped out, as it had taken him 3 weeks to ship the wrong guitar in the first place, (on top of backing out of a quote he gave me for an early year RLG-90)... so he finally got it right and shipped mine. In the meantime, I sat on this one 'til it arrived, then got a shipping quote, had him pay me, then I sent it back...

the 1982 Greco Mint Collection (solid) plain top :D arrived Monday but I was at work, doing OT :lol:

went to the Post Office today & this is what I found:
a 28 year old Greco Mint Collection EG in 9.0 condition 8) , incredible plain SOLID top with quite a bit of 3D action goin' on that was not even evident in the listing photos, massive amounts of annual ring exposure in the top, 2 pc. body back, Brazilian looking fingerboard (it is not spec-ed with Braz but it looks F-ing awesome), Double Trick pups :D , perfectly aged patina on the hardware 8) , weighs 9 lb. 0 oz. just as advertised, and the cutaway & smaller bouts have the correct radius curves that the EGF line does not have 8)

Just F-ing incredible 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) ........................

Honestly, if a similar guitar with this set of attributes was hanging on the wall in a Guitar Center, they would be asking three times what I paid for this :roll:

Thanks Rob :wink:
GrecoEGplaintop.jpg

the top color on this one is too dark IMO, and could benefit from a lighter color finish; lemon drop sounds tasty :D ...........

like most other photographed examples, photos do not do this guitar justice; it looks 20 times better in person :D ............

the 28 year old patina on the hardware is just amazing; Tom Murphy only wishes that he could capture time like this :lol:
EGplaintoptop.jpg

a little more of that crazy hardware patina & loads O' real solid lumber annual ring ...........
EGplaintopannual.jpg

very nice rosewood :)
EGplaintopboard.jpg

Back