Hi, and a question

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daydreamer

Reaction score
As you can se Im a newbe here and send you all some greetings from Sweden. Sorry for my bad English :oops: :oops:

My reason to register is to find out a bit more about my new investment.
It?s a Greco EG 600 from 1987. It?s a Long-tennon with 2 screaming 82.
I love this guitar for its quality and it feels like and sounds like a real Gibson.

When I search in forums about Greco I find a lot of info on almost every modell except EG 600. It?s a lot of talk about EG 500 and EG 700 but not EG 600. Why?? Is it so bad or is it rare??

Pleace help me with info in what way EG 500, 600 and 700 and so on is different from each other.

Welcome to the forums mate. If it is an '87 it would be a EG59-60 Mint Collection made at Fujigen. The EG59-50 to 70's are a common guitar, nice guitars but common so they are not discussed as much as a result I would suspect. Post some photos :D

Hm. I have to register in photobucket or something.
I put some work in it soon.

The serialnumber: 7 XXXX and it got a sicker with says 600

greco.jpg

greco2.jpg

Hi there daydeamer!
The think the main reason not many folks here have not not answered youre question is ,the eg59-60 does not exsist in the early mint collection catlogues.but there are guitars out there with the 60(600) label on the back of the headstock.
If you view the greco catalogue scans 1984 is the latest i can find, the only models availible where either the eg59-50 which had screaming 82s as well or the eg5g59-65 which was a flamed verneer top with screaming pups.
In the 1991 catalogue there is a eg-600 with screaming 82 ,three piece neck.
I had a greco mint collection eg59-60.I originally thought it was a higher model guitar when i brought it from japan,
It had fret bindings ,gold greco open o logo,2 piece center seamed maple top ,2 piece center seamed back,greco delux tuners,I was slightly different from the usual eg59-50s,The top had more grain than ive seen on plain top eg-59-50.
When i recieved it i posted pictures here and a forum member said he had a twin of my guitar and it had a 600 sticker on the rear of the headstock.
Why greco labelled some of these eg59-60s i can only guess ,like anything else with japanese guitars,nothing is or written in stone concerning specs,no iso9000 then.So throw the rule book out the window :D
I think they maybe decided that the good nice top eg-59-50 where worth more or just that little bit better than the normal and made it a eg-59-60
This is just my speclation mind you!
Maybe they just run out of 50(500) stickers and put a(60) 600 on it :lol:

They are great guitars ,the specs between the eg59-50 and 60 are exactly the same !
Hopefully another forum member with more knowledge of grecos will pop up like grecoburst and inform us both.

MOJO HOBO

Koubayashi said:
I am pretty sure those guitars in the background are mine :D

Yes. Those are yours. I will pick up my camera and take my own pics some day but these pics were the only I had for the moment. Hope you don?t mind :oops:

And thank?s to mojo hobo for the answer. I really like to get som much info as I can get around this guitar. It seems to be an odd bird and its hard to find facts around it. Anyone else who got one??

I must admit that i got a bit of Japan GAS and will surely buy one or two Lawsuits in the future.

DAYDEAMER WROTE?

[ "Yes. Those are yours. I will pick up my camera and take my own pics some day but these pics were the only I had for the moment. Hope you don?t mind " ]

KOUBAYASHI: Think you have a strange MIJ fetish intruder! Breaks in and fiddles with your guitars and then take pictures to prove it and then post them on a guitar forum!Sick! :lol:

He needs to be captured fast ! Before this becomes a new craze our guitars being molested on you tube!I am checking my alarm system straight away.

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
DAYDEAMER WROTE?

[ "Yes. Those are yours. I will pick up my camera and take my own pics some day but these pics were the only I had for the moment. Hope you don?t mind " ]

KOUBAYASHI: Think you have a strange MIJ fetish intruder! Breaks in and fiddles with your guitars and then take pictures to prove it and then post them on a guitar forum!Sick! :lol:

He needs to be captured fast ! Before this becomes a new craze our guitars being molested on you tube!I am checking my alarm system straight away.

MOJO HOBO

LOL.... he diddles you fiddles :lol:

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Ha ha ha and so on.

Still. can someone give me more info. It seems to me that my Greco is an early one to be a EG 59-600.
I like that theory cos it makes it rare.

Is there anybody out there with a twin??

Daydreamer said:

Ha ha ha and so on.

Still. can someone give me more info. It seems to me that my Greco is an early one to be a EG 59-600.

I have had plenty of twins.
Sold another one the same week as you bought this one and my personal favourite and nr:1 player LP is a 600.

Main features are: 2-3 piece backs, solid maple top, medium-long tenon, lack FEB, Screamin PUs and poly finish.

Actually hard to find a Lester that delivers a bigger bang for the money.

mojo hobo said:
DAYDEAMER WROTE?

MOJO HOBO

So my idea of having my friend sleeping in my warehouse with a shotgun is not so bad :D

mojo hobo said:
Hi koubayashi,or is it mr smith :D

You are an international man of mystery!

Where are you now?JAPAN, SWEDEN,CHINA, LOL

MOJO HOBO

I had better update my avatar info...
I am based in Sweden now but I go to Japan rather often since my wife is from there and she has a company in Japan.

Koubayashi said:
Daydreamer said:

Ha ha ha and so on.

I have had plenty of twins.
Sold another one the same week as you bought this one and my personal favourite and nr:1 player LP is a 600.

Main features are: 2-3 piece backs, solid maple top, medium-long tenon, lack FEB, Screamin PUs and poly finish.

Actually hard to find a Lester that delivers a bigger bang for the money.

Thats the kind of thing I like to hear
As a newbe I didn?t know that a 59-60 was the same as a 600.
My way to find out these things is in these kind of forums. As a person I like to know a lot about my gear and this Greco was a tricky one.

So.
This model was rare in 1987 ?
It?s a Mint collection ?
I cant find a greco catalogue from 1987 but if I did I might not find this model in it.
Generally its a great player

And
Did they come with a pick protection ??
Screaming 82 pickups can compare to Gibsons ...... ?

yes i agree my eg59 -60 was a great guitar with a unique sound and sustained for ever!
I sold it for to accquire more higher spec MIJs,Plus i have a greco transition model that has the super real logo and mint collection open o ,an eg59-45 ,has a sticker on the rear with 450 on it!It is as good ,but slightly different darker sound to the eg59-60 which sounded like really good now i think about,typical fujigen sound!

Yes,your guitar daydreamer is a mint collection guitar,GRECO catlogue info kinda disappears from 1984 -1990.
I do not think that your guitar is a rare example,sorry! Think they are to be found from the early 1982 period with 600 stickers.

MOJO HOBO

mojo hobo said:
yes i agree my eg59 -60 was a great guitar with a unique sound and sustained for ever!
I sold it for to accquire more higher spec MIJs,Plus i have a greco transition model that has the super real logo and mint collection open o ,an eg59-45 ,has a sticker on the rear with 450 on it!It is as good ,but slightly different darker sound to the eg59-60 which sounded like really good now i think about,typical fujigen sound!

Yes,your guitar daydreamer is a mint collection guitar,GRECO catlogue info kinda disappears from 1984 -1990.
I do not think that your guitar is a rare example,sorry! Think they are to be found from the early 1982 period with 600 stickers.

MOJO HOBO

Great to hear. Im not a collector and my plan is to play the livin daylight out of it. After 20 years i might sell whats left of it. But until then this Greco will do what it?s build to do. 8)

Back