need info on a 1990 greco

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

royc

Reaction score
Post says it's a 1980 Greco custom all stock but comments here indicate it could be a 1990 model. Would this be better than my EG700 solid body? Idea on current price range?

Can we get more info based on these pics? I'm still waiting for the other pics (pups, pots, cavities).

Thanks!

dsc04861.jpg

dsc04862.jpg

dsc04863.jpg

dsc04864.jpg

dsc04865.jpg

1990 more than 1980 I think (custom logo on the head is different from the 80 logo, no fret edge binding, etc...). :)

What else? The owner has black feet... :D

Definetely a 1990. That's not to say it isn't a great guitar, I've played a lot of late Mint Collections that were very good.

So it's a 1990 mint collection. Would it be MIJ? Without fret edge binding it would be a lower end model right?

I already have a 1978 EG700 solid body and I love the sound. Would it be better to sell mine and buy this or should I stick to what I have now? Any idea on it's current value? I can get it for US$450 without shipping cost since he lives nearby.

Just because it has no fret edge binding doesn't mean its a low end guitar. Greco virtually stopped putting fret binding on their guitars at the end of the "super real" series, i think they only put it on very high end models after that.

Mick

leadguitar_323 said:
Just because it has no fret edge binding doesn't mean its a low end guitar. Greco virtually stopped putting fret binding on their guitars at the end of the "super real" series, i think they only put it on very high end models after that.

Mick

Tnx for clarifying. I guess it's safe to assume that it's an egc with at least a screamin pickup w/c makes it probably better than my 78 eg700. Hope the seller sends the pup pics soon. Would there be markings that could identify the exact model?

Mine has no markings on it, but unless they've been changed, all the pickups are marked. And you can still find some lower model mint collection guitars with fret binding as they had to use up the last of the super real necks, these guitars are not the norm, just using up spare parts.

Mick

I have that same model in black. It has the same headstock logo but mine also has the fret edge binding and long tenon. I use to have a 1980 EG700 as well but sold it. I can say that my custom is very nice but the eg700 was just a little bit better. Hard to say why...it just felt better to me. It's all relative i guess. But by all means the custom i have is really nice and i would never let it go. $450 for that white one is a steal in my opinion. I have been keeping an eye out for a white one like that for a while but i really cant afford another guitar right now.
As far as my black custom, i modded it quite a bit with tuners, pups, bridge & tail. I love it!

50781907-grecocustomcol.jpg

Nice custom!

The first LP that I wanted to buy was a white one but I ended with a black MIJ (not Greco). I sold it and got the 78 and said I will only sell it in exchange for an 80s mint collection.

I have come to love the sound of the 78 but now I am offered the chance to get a white mint collection. I guess if I can sell the 78 before someone gets the 90 then it really is for me :)

Thanks for al the comments.

update: the 1990 greco was already sold by the time I decided to get it. Took me a long time to decide. Oh well.

Latest posts

Back