DRY Z

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWOBHM

Reaction score
Anyone getting these? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160214156938&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

One problem I have is not knowing enough about them. The money is not a problem and at $400 I would take a chance(but not $600). I know what PAF's are like. I have heard and played on them as well as patent number, T-Tops etc. The only thing you ever hear about Z's are "yeah, they sound great". No clips, never heard them on a recording much less tried them. Too much of a mystery for that price. Maybe if I were restoring a guitar I might bite.

Hmmm. Maybe Mark could send me a set and I could record some clips through my Marshall and Trainwreck to post up here. I could get a few sets of ears to help with the review. If I like them I would probably buy them. :wink:

Smokin' Tone said:
One problem I have is not knowing enough about them. The money is not a problem and at $400 I would take a chance(but not $600). I know what PAF's are like. I have heard and played on them as well as patent number, T-Tops etc. The only thing you ever hear about Z's are "yeah, they sound great". No clips, never heard them on a recording much less tried them. Too much of a mystery for that price. Maybe if I were restoring a guitar I might bite.
In my growing EGF-1200 pre-acquisition frenzy, which basically involves surfing for every scrap of info on the web, I think I've found a track of a guy playing an EGF-1200 with DRYZs - decent player too - see what you think:
http://players.music-eclub.com/?action=user_song_detail&song_id=190752
I am of course presuming he's kept the DRYZs onboard...anyway, they sound pretty tasty to me...

Snakehips, How on earth did you find that! That's some serious web-trawling!

Personally dont think that sounds great, It's difficult to gauge a pickup on a recording, especially with quite a saturated lead tone, i't sounds a bit thin to me, like the guitar has really thin strings about 0.5mm from the freatboard.

I'd love to try some for myself and see if they live up to the hype.

Yep, if JV-related web surfing makes it as an Olympic sport - I'll be in East London around June 2012!

I tried a few non-Google/Yahoo engines, but even then, took a fair while to turn up much of interest!

I guess the clip proves the point made several times in various posts over the forum - v. hard to guage tone 2nd hand. Regardless of the thinness, which I put down to the Fender combo (personally, not a LP/amp combination I favour). What I like is the 'open' quality of the tone, even though saturated. I also like the bit after the extended fingerboard rattling (where'd the sustain go?) - good tone there. Nice pickup differentiation between bridge and neck too.

Yes, very, very hard to judge - good fun though!

I made it my new year's resolution to do less surfing and more playing, and to get back in a band after a long period not gigging. So far not doing too well :roll:

I'm sure I'll be okay once I've got the geetar, it's just the waiting, the anticipation, the expectation, the.......Aaaaaaargh.........

:lol: Great score Snake. I agree that's some serious searching. I think the tone sounds good. Seems like they are open and relaxed sounding. You really do have to make multiple clips with different settings to demonstrate a pickup and even then it's still just a sound clip. 8)

?250 for one pickup? Jeeez..... :-? Both my Goldstars cost me less than that each! :eek:

Mike

heres some completely incorrect and misleading information from a japanese sellers website....

Hi Greco PUs lover.
We know DRY-z some story.
DRY-Z had 2 type.
one is Highend type(that mounded EGF-1200 or more high grede guitars),other is low type(that mounted milde or low range mode not EGF-,that We cannot discase ).
some our follors sale DRY-z on ebay or yahoo japan(papayabanaa).
but that is not highend type.
that mounted midle type solid greaco guitar,not EGF-.
They sale it at about 30000japan YEN in yahoo.
and resaler sale on ebay at about 500USD(hmguitars this same at papayabanaa).
but I wanna said this DRY-Z belong midle or low type .
and Front and Rear Set is not same Set two in one set.
this cannot give you actual hiend DRY-Z sounds!!!.

the above is completely wrong, the reason he is saying this is to try and spoil the seller on ebay in this post, as it is a competitor of his in Japan...he does this repeatedly, and its indicative of his shoddy way of doing business..

DRY-Z are DRY-Z theres only one type, and they were never ever on mid range or low end Greco's...completely rediculous...

I would have to play every note I ever play the rset of my life better than Eric Johnson, and crap gold bars, before I would ever consider paying the kind of money Dry Zs go for, for any pickup, and of course I will never play like Eric Johnson, and hopefully I will never crap gold bars either, ouch..........................

lol, I would rather play every note better than Eric Johnson, as that would be worth more than gold to me, and of course my rear would be saved the gold bar deluge :lol: .............

Latest posts

Back