Pickup Change on Edwards LP-85

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpectrumP

Reaction score
Hi,

yesterday I changed the Duncans on my Edwards LP-85. I ordered Haeussels
but they are not on stock and will be delivered in 3 weeks, so I installed Bill Lawrence L500L and L500N from my Ibanez Artist to try them out - Hell what a change. I made a short recording with the Ibanez Artist with the Lawrence Pickups, The Edwards stock and then afterwards with the L500s. The Edwards with L500 is a total winner. From the wood sound, the Edwards beats the Ibanez and this can again be heard via the amp. But in my opinion only with the Lawrence pickups, you can really hear the difference.
In my opinion the SD Jeff Beck at the bridge just don't shows, what you really play, the attack is weak and it sounds somehow compressed. The 500L sounds much more clear, but still is quite aggressive. The only thing could like more is some more bass, here the SH4 has alot more.
On the neck, the clarity of the L500 above the SD '59 is breathtaking.
I am curious if the Haussels can be even better.

tudor said:
... so you let them in your guitar and sell the Haeussels ?? :wink:

Roger

No, I will check the Haeussels for sure ! I friend of mine has Haeussels in his Heritage and his guitar sounds great. I am doing some recordings of each setup, I can quite easily compare them without beeing too much affected by the "new" factor :). Anyway I am totally glad with the current setup.

Did you change the wiring, too, or is it just the stock modern one??

I am asking this, because I changed the wiring of my Edwards to the '50s specs, and I've got the woody, hollow tone since then ... :wink:

Roger

tudor said:
Did you change the wiring, too, or is it just the stock modern one??

I am asking this, because I changed the wiring of my Edwards to the '50s specs, and I've got the woody, hollow tone since then ... :wink:

Roger

I am not completely sure, what the 50's wiring is exactly. I have changed the capacitors to orange drops and move the tone cap to the center contact of the potentiometers. I did not change the wire type - at the moment I am not sure if this is needed for the 50's mod ? If I read it correctly, one should take shielded wire for this, right ? If this is correct, from my experience with tube amp modifications, I always avoid to use shielded wire, as it steals highs, due to the capacitance of the wire and the high impedance of the tube amp. Did I miss something ?

Regards
Klaus

Hi Klaus,
one of our forum members from Finland, eresseraca
, made an excellent job on his web site, describing all particular steps very exactly ...

http://www.multi.fi/~nproject/thursday_burst/

Take a look ... I've done my mods long before this description, but it's very helpful for those who intend to manage that in the future ...

BTW - I don't think that you'll loose hights - although I don't use tube amp modelling (2 Fender tube amps), you'll get nice overtones, the tone pots now are usefull, the right caps (Mallory, Vitamin Q, bumble bees or something else) a MUST !!! :wink:

Enjoy it - if you like give me a PM in our language ...

Roger

Back