Japanese guitar experts-tell me this....

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoptangerine

Reaction score
Japan guitar experts...
Been looking at the orvilles, grecos, etc...new to the whole japanese les paul copy gig.
I wonder why one would not just buy a epiphone elitist, like a tak matsumoto edition or something-or even just a les paul elitist, seems to have all the traits of the vintage grecos, orvilles, etc.

Perhaps not nitro finish? but solid bodys, long neck tenon, etc...

help a japanese guitar moron figure it out :)

joukov said:
If you want an Epiphone and find one you like, just go and get one! :D

Well, I want the nicest sounding guitar for my money...and in all my reading thus far, the proper vintage japanese guitar seems best, but maybe all the happy NEW japanese guitar owners are quietly enjoying their guitars and not writing about them on the internet.

i played an elitist just last week.
looks-wise and playing-wise AND general feel-wise,it wasn't a patch on my MiJ Tokai Paul.
I found it to be too light in the body and too heavy in the neck...very unbalanced when it was on the strap.
In fact...I'm yet to find any Epiphone that comes close....I haven't tried the Zak Wylde models yet....itching to see how they compare.

I guess it all comes down to trying a few, i've had a vintage Greco and hated it but i've had 3 Edwards LP's and loved every one of them, unfortunately i guess you have to buy one to try it but thats the way it is,
A lot of people don't like the Edwards stuff, i love it. i guess what i'm saying is if you think you'll be happiest with the epi then buy it.
Everyones taste is different and they all like different things in a guitar, unfortunately for Epiphone not many people seem to buy the elite models i think mostly due to cost, they seem to be more expensive than a tokai.

Why not buy a second hand japanese Epi so that you're not outlaying the cost of a new one and if you like it sell it on and buy a new one, or keep it and be happy it was cheaper than a new one

just my 2c worth
Steve

^ Ya I am just about over readin about all these guitars, I am just going to start buying a few, playing them-find one I like. The effort spent researching is better put into collecting these, since it seems I can get my money back if I do not like them.

Scooba said:
Everyones taste is different and they all like different things in a guitar, unfortunately for Epiphone not many people seem to buy the elite models i think mostly due to cost, they seem to be more expensive than a tokai.
The Epi i played was around $800(AUD) and a MiJ Tokai in AUD will set u back around $1500

Can you clarify what model epiphone and what model tokai?

Elite Epiphone LP's are selling for about $1150AU second hand delivered a tokai with similar specs can be had for less than that new from my research.

Just want to make sure we are comparing apples with apples

Steve

Royce's music Toowoomba Qld...second hand Elite in excellent condition $899......my second hand LS80 flame cherry sunburst cost me $800 .
Whilst we're on the topic of prices in Australia....do you know of a store distributing Tokai?

There are a couple in Australia selling tokai but they are a lot more expensive than you can buy one online from japan,

http://www.tokaiguitars.com.au/

I've never seen an elite for that sort of money did it have a G!bson correct headstock shape or the goofy paddle looking one? what i'm asking is was it an Elite model or Elitist, one has the g!bson headstock and the other has the stupid looking one, the correct headstock models weren't available in Australia, another Epi to consider is the japan limited line which feature a laquer finish.

Personally i'd buy the Edwards instead, i like the Laquer feel and the SD pickups... i'm starting to drool..

Steve

EPI Phone. Wildkat. EPI Phone semi-hollow electric guitar. 2 Alnico
V P-90's Pickups. Chrome Vibrotone tail peice. Mahogony body. Maple neck. Flame Maple top. $1199

Epi Phone. SG EPI Phone electic guitar. Origional style Maestro tremelo. $1099

Tokai. NES 120 N Tokai electric guitar. Hard rock curly Maple Body. Black veneer. Set Mahogony neck rosewood fingerboard. Gotoh humbucker pickups. $2249

Tokai. NL S 755 GT Tokai "Love Rock" electric guitar. Maple top. Mahogony back. Sete Mahogony neck. Rosewood fingerboard. Gotoh humbucker pickups. Gold Top. $1699

Tokai. NL S 75Q CS Tokai "Love Rock" electric guitar. Quilted maple top veneer. Mahogony back. Set mahogony neck. Gotoh humbucker pickups. Cherry sunburst colouring. $1649

Tokai. NL S70F VF Tokai "Love Rock" electric guitar. Flamed Sycamore top vaneer. Mahogony back. Set Mahogony neck. Gotoh humbucker pickups. Violin colour and finis
humbucker pickups. $1799

This is from the catalogue of a Sydney dealer...all prices are for brand new guitars...no epi les pauls but look at the tokai prices :eek:

thats a bit expensive i think a japan market tokai shipped would be about $400-500 cheaper, but that comes with it's own risks such as no warranty etc , plus being NLS they have a different headstock than the Japan market tokais.

Steve

PS sorry to hijack this thread

EG500 or 600, it was an LP custom, had a slim 60's style neck and volute, just never got comfortable on the neck.

1980 model

for me...there are better choices than the Elitists in Japan for around the same money. I`d probably consider a used one but new...fogedaboudit.

Im sure the new epi elites are nice guitars. However, most players who are into the MIJ craze prefer age. Hence u will hear a lot of love for an old tokai or greco, less so for an Orville because of the 15 to 20 year difference in age for the most part. But if u find a Jap Epi u like jump on it. Certainly age makes a moderate difference in tone quality as the wood ages, but they are good guitars. Dont be afraid of a 90s+ MIJ

It all comes down to what you like, you really have to feel them for yourself. I've bought many MIJ and MIA guitars sight unseen that were not to my liking. Also remember that a lot of the more vocal members of this forum make a living selling guitars to you. One thing for sure, nitro is nitro , and poly is poly. No poly guitar ever feels like a nitro one.

Latest posts

Back