Please Help ID my new Burny!!!!

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorMan

Reaction score
I got burned on an Orville I bought about a year ago and just bought a Burny...please help confirm this guitar. I'm scheduled to receive the guitar this Friday.

How sure can I be that this is a Japanese model?

It looks very clean to be an "early 70's model". But I hope it's at least an 80's model?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Burny-Les-Paul-Custom-Black-Beauty_W0QQitemZ7352785504QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks in advance,
Dave

i would have liked to see pics of the long tenon ...also you may be able to date her by the pots...

on a pessimistic note ..I have not seen an early burny with long tenon... as yet ..I am not saying there aren't any ..and would like others to chip in here ...but I ain't seen one yet..I know some modern burnys have the long tenon..see below..

http://cgi.ebay.com/2000-Burny-Japan-LP-STD-Flame-Top-Deep-Joint-Great_W0QQitemZ7353841191QQcategoryZ2384QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

.but I usually only deal in guitars from 1978 onward...

I'm not good with technology, but I'll try to post more detailed pics when I get it (including the tenon). Most the parts on the guitar have been replaced, so I'm inclined to believe the pots probably were as well...but I'll check when I get it.

If it is a later model, how sure can I be that it's Japanese? Are later models any good?

What about the split diamond headstock inlay? Does that indicate anything? I've seen many that have more of a lightningbolt or "s" instead of the split diamond like mine.

re the headstock inlay ...unfortunately I am not a huge expert on burnys..I have had a fair few (but mostly standards not customs..) but ObG's are really my bag...(and I'm getting better on early tokais through owning more and more of them, and thanks to the knowledgable people here ..) I must say the new burnys look really nice though , although I have not had the pleasure of playing one as yet..I am more interested in the 78-94 timespan..

Ok, so we know it's Japanese, but it sounds like there's really no way to confirm the year?

Are newer Japanese models any good?

best models are from 80-87, But the latest models I saw ( last year in japan) were doing the job! :wink:

I though that the models with the s shape were from the 70's, the models with the split diamond from the 80's and the models with the other logo from the 90's. But I might be totally wrong, it's just what I thought from meeting a few models here or there.

Got the guitar. Seems to be much better quality than the Korean Orville. The pickups aren't to my liking, but I'll get that changed.

Villager, you said I might be able to identify the year by the pots? What should I be looking for? I can tell you they are full sized pots. The capacitors apprear to be the oil in film type (black in color and they say Fuji something on them.)

Don't have the guitar here (or a digital camera).

there may be a pot code or long number on the pots ..somewhere in that number is a date ID ..you need to do a google search on pot codes and find the makers coding system..(they are probably noble pots)

Glad the guitar is working out. That's a tough one as almost all of the telltale hardware and pups have been replaced. The binding over the frets is always a good thing. And you bought it for a good price - enjoy.

Orivilles were NOT made in Korea, only Japan, by Gibson Japan. They are not currently in production as such. Gibson now produces them in Japan as the Elitist line, and exports them to the U.S. as such with Epi headstocks. There are some made only for Japanese sale that have the Gibson headstock shape but say epi on the headstock instead of Gibson. i have a Burny Custom that just rocks. http://www.wizardsofaz.com/guitars/burn1.htm

From what I understand, some Orville's (not Orville by Gibson) were made in Korea in 1996 only. They're rare, but unfortunately for Poor man, not highly sought after.

some orvilles made in 1996 with no serial no or a sticker on them with a ser no were ASSEMBLED in korea...the parts were from japan..it was to do with gibson and labour costs..

saw this site found by meanpeoplesuck1:

www.orangeguitar.com

i have asked the site to search for some guitars through their guitar search service (they were orville by gibsons) and they did manage to find them. considering the puchase.

anyone ordered any guitars from them? are they reliable?

hi, villager does your price includes shipping? any chance of a discount? coz it's about USD$300 more than orangeguitar.com.

Back