1978 Greco LP Custom vs 1990 Greco LP Mint Collection?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valvestate

Reaction score
Hi! I'm torn between the 2 Greco models I'm choosing from

1. 1978 Greco Les Paul Custom link: 1978 Greco Les Paul Custom, Japan for S$600 https://sg.carousell.com/p/237392386

2. 1990 Greco LP Mint Collection 1990 Greco Les Paul Custom Mint Series for S$650 https://sg.carousell.com/p/237391178

Leaning towards the 1990 due to better overall cosmetics but I might miss out the vintage vibe of the 78? I read that these years are hit or miss comparing with the mint collection.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance!

Does weight matter to you at all ?? Some of these customs can be really heavy.

If I had to choose without playing i'd go the 1990 route just because they tend to keep value more than the '70's ones.

brokentoes said:
Does weight matter to you at all ?? Some of these customs can be really heavy.

If I had to choose without playing i'd go the 1990 route just because they tend to keep value more than the '70's ones.

Actually, they somewhat have the same weight, just around 4kg.. really light for a Les Paul type guitar. I find it odd since the 78 is chambered right, then how come the 90s one have the same weight. 😉😃

I think I'm almost sold now to the 1990s model ... it doesn't have a pickguard though. is that easy to purchase for this model?

the 1978 example is from an era when Greco used maple necks & pancake bodies so, there is real potential for those attributes. Food for thought.

guitar hiro said:
the 1978 example is from an era when Greco used maple necks & pancake bodies so, there is real potential for those attributes. Food for thought.

Thanks for the response.

I'm sorry but what does it mean? So the 1978 having a pancake body is less collectible? I assume that's the era of bad "Norlin" years?

many of the Greco LP style guitars from the mid/late 1970s had body backs constructed from a 'stack' of two pieces of lumber that were glued, instead of a single 1 piece thickness, hence the 'pancake.'

Many folks don't mind that but not my cup-O-tea. To each their own.

Latest posts

Back