MIJ "Profile" Guitars

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schoey

Reaction score
Hi Guys
I have just come across an example of these guitars and it looks pretty good for the price. Does anyone have knowledge of or experience of this company's products at all as I know absolutely nothing Thanks in advance for any info..... :)

I have had an '80s Profile strat. Not a bad guitar at all. If I am right these were made in Korea for an Australian company.

The early profiles were MiJ but most of them,including the Silhouette Series were MiK.
They're quite good guitars and were as common in Australia all through the 80's.

I've got a Profile "Black Magic" Strat which came in a black body or a red body version and I've got the red body version.

There is some fantastic BS on the net (what a surprise) about Profile guitars being from Australian designers based on the Fender headstock "Profile" Yeah Right! and other BS as well like some dude apparently stripped a Profile Black Magic and found 3 different types of wood or something.

The truth is that they were MIJ (Made In Japan neckplate) in the early 1980's and later MIK and were sold in Canada, New Zealand, UK and Australia and not the USA.
"Not the USA" because of avoiding Fender legal action over the Profile Fender like headstock.

I don't know who the distributor was but they were probably a Japanese company and the Profile guitars might have been made by Matsumoku.
The Profile neck screw holes are in different positions to the usual Fender necks so maybe that's a clue as to the maker and it wouldn't be Fujigen.

I just put a Floyd Rose on my MIJ Profile Black Magic and while I was routing away I discovered what wood it was made from.
It has always had a pretty good sound IMO and now I know why because the body is made from 3 pieces of Japanese Sen Ash.

Some of the other clear finish MIJ Profile models are also made from Japanese Sen Ash.

The original MIJ Profile pickups don't seem to be the greatest but with a pickup change they are great guitars and mine just has single coil routing.

I have a Fender 57/62 pickup in the bridge and that combined with the Japanese Sen Ash sounds very good IMO.

The MIK Profile guitars are another story and were probably made by Samick or Cort and I've seen some MIK plywood body Profiles.

There were also Profile effect pedals from the same distributor.

PROFILE BLACK MAGIC MIJ

4p.jpg

2p.jpg

3p.jpg

Latest posts

Back