New Strat

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stratfan

Reaction score
Hi guys.

I just received my brand new Fender Japan 57DMC-VSP, two tone sunburst, Stratocaster, and I am thinking about hanging it on a wall when not in use.

A friend at work read the Japanese warning label that came with the guitar, and it says that the guitar should not be kept in the case for long periods due to potential softening of the lacquer finish on the neck and body. So if that is the case, what is a safe hanger that will not attack the neck's lacquer (nitrocellulose I assume)? Stands are not practical, as I have two dogs in the house...

Thanks.

I have a few guitars, both nitro & poly finished, & they all get left on stands or hung on wall hangers as the mood takes me. I have never had any problems with the finish reacting in any way with the plastic or foam on stands or hangers.

Personally, I think it's all a myth. Or maybe it's stand manufacturers trying to be ultra cautious in case a priceless '54 Strat or '59 LP has a weird reaction to one of their products.

Mike

stratman323 said:
Personally, I think it's all a myth. Or maybe it's stand manufacturers trying to be ultra cautious in case a priceless '54 Strat or '59 LP has a weird reaction to one of their products.

Mike

I've had a few guitars where the nitro has been marked where the guitar has been left on a stand by a previous owner, I make sure all my stands & hangers are certified nitro safe.

Aah, clear as mud...

I don't think that it's all a myth, as the manufacturer put the warning on the guitar, and I don't wish to find out the hard way that they were in fact right. This Japanese Strat cost me more than a new US made standard Strat. Although I believe it to be superior in many ways.

Any suggestions as to which hanger / stand brands claim to be nitro-safe?

stratfan said:
Any suggestions as to which hanger / stand brands claim to be nitro-safe?

A few recommendations from other forums:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/3377-nitro-safe-guitar-stands.html

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/archive/index.php/t-125577.html

Leaving a nitro finished guitar in the case will not harm it. I know that with a new guitar, there is a certain amount of time required for the nitro to cure and off gas before keeping it locked up. But if it's an older guitar, chances are you can lock it up in a case indefintely.

Thanks for that info. The Strat is new, and I have a Tokai LS150 that is a year old. How long before the nitro has gassed-out?

stratfan said:
Thanks for that info. The Strat is new, and I have a Tokai LS150 that is a year old. How long before the nitro has gassed-out?

That all depends upon where you live - the tempurature, humidity, etc. I'd been told it takes about 6 months. I've kept my new LS150 in the case for the most part with no adverse effects.

Looked at the other forums' threads, and the issue is just as fuzzy over there. Hercules are either good or bad for nitro, and the same can be said about the Ultimate guitar stands.

I guess that if Fender are to believed, I shouldn't leave it in its case long term, and if the stands are iffy with nitro, I should consider wrapping the contact points with white cotton.

I noted that some of the Gibson guys were saying that the leather on their straps had reacted with the nitro???

Back