False Edwards Info On Web

Discussion area for other MIJ Guitars

Moderator: ned

Special K
Guitar God

False Edwards Info On Web

Post by Special K » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:11 pm

I've read for some time now, web fuss about Edwards guitars.
Thankfully not from this site, as much of this information concerning Edwards is false.

One web poster seems obsessed with cementing false info, claiming to talk with ESP, and posting pics of the manufacturing stages. This post even goes as far as to suggest a personal dialogue with ESP production managers and a translation for the reader.
Sadly, not all information thats been posted is accurate.

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Re: False Edwards Info On Web

Post by marcusnieman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:20 pm

Special K wrote: Sadly, not all information thats been posted is accurate.
That statement applies to anything posted on the internet and certainly ANYTHING sold on the internet. You can't police the whole thing. Don't forget the famous quote from P.T. Barnum:

"There's a sucker born every day"........ that's who they're going after.

Just do your homework so you can weed out the garbage when you come across it.
Last edited by marcusnieman on Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Special K
Guitar God

Post by Special K » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:22 pm

Yeah, better said than me.

zepping
Guitar God

Post by zepping » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:27 pm

What it the truth about Edwards guitars?

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:22 pm

zepping wrote:What it the truth about Edwards guitars?
They're great guitars, well made and a superb value for the dollar

cashcow
Guitar God

Post by cashcow » Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:20 pm

I agree totally. Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Eddies.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-l ... -more.html

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:03 am

I thought "the point" about newer Edwards guitars was that they are claimed to be MIJ, even though a large part of the manufacturing process takes place in China. Or did I misunderstand this?

Mike

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:48 am

cashcow wrote:I agree totally. Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Eddies.

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-l ... -more.html
Great link

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:53 am

stratman323 wrote:I thought "the point" about newer Edwards guitars was that they are claimed to be MIJ, even though a large part of the manufacturing process takes place in China. Or did I misunderstand this?

Mike
Woodwork and paint in China.... the rest of the assembly is MIJ I believe. Companies in the States have been doing stuff like that for years with Mexico. They send US made components to the maquiladora factories

(A maquiladora or maquila is a factory that imports materials and equipment on a duty-free and tariff-free basis for assembly or manufacturing and then re-exports the assembled product, usually back to the originating country. A maquila is also referred to as a "twin plant", or "in-bond" industry. Currently about 1.3 million Mexicans are employed in maquiladoras.

The term "maquiladora", in the Spanish language, refers to the practice of millers charging a "maquila", or "miller's portion" for processing other people's grain).

The products (air conditioning units, refrigerators, etc) are sent back to the US for distribution as MADE IN THE USA

JVsearch
Guitar God

Post by JVsearch » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:09 pm

marcusnieman wrote:
stratman323 wrote:I thought "the point" about newer Edwards guitars was that they are claimed to be MIJ, even though a large part of the manufacturing process takes place in China. Or did I misunderstand this?

Mike
Woodwork and paint in China.... the rest of the assembly is MIJ I believe. Companies in the States have been doing stuff like that for years with Mexico. They send US made components to the maquiladora factories

(A maquiladora or maquila is a factory that imports materials and equipment on a duty-free and tariff-free basis for assembly or manufacturing and then re-exports the assembled product, usually back to the originating country. A maquila is also referred to as a "twin plant", or "in-bond" industry. Currently about 1.3 million Mexicans are employed in maquiladoras.

The term "maquiladora", in the Spanish language, refers to the practice of millers charging a "maquila", or "miller's portion" for processing other people's grain).

The products (air conditioning units, refrigerators, etc) are sent back to the US for distribution as MADE IN THE USA
What's this, an everybody else is doing it type argument? It's modern business?

To a company that causes people to think something is made in a particular place through its marketing and operations, which is an aspect of the product that is desirable to buyers (extremely desirable to some), I say f*ck right off...
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

Special K
Guitar God

Post by Special K » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:22 pm

Mike
Image[/img]

Special K
Guitar God

Post by Special K » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:51 pm

JVsearch wrote:[
To a company that causes people to think something is made in a particular place through its marketing and operations, which is an aspect of the product that is desirable to buyers (extremely desirable to some), I say f*ck right off...
Are you upset to find http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-l ... -more.html
a myth?

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:18 pm

JVsearch wrote:
What's this, an everybody else is doing it type argument? It's modern business?

No, it's not an "everybody else is doing it" argument - it's the way things have become over the last couple decades. Blame it on profit motive. Cheaper labor = more profit.

Now as for saying something is made one place but it's actually built (partially or fully) or assembled elsewhere is a bit shady. But in many cases, if the company of ownership is in Japan, the States, etc, they claim the right to say it comes from them - because the farmed out work is QC'd and regulated by the parent company to their standards - they're not subcontracting the work out to the lowest bidder and letting them wank away at it on their own. At the end of the day, the finished product comes back to the parent company for distribution and before it goes out the door, they slap their label on it.

Hell, Hyundai SUV's, Toyota SUV's and several other import brands are assembled at plants here in the US..... are they called US vehichles? No.... they're still classed as imports from their countries of ownership.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Something I heard a few years back surprised me. If a bottle says "English wine" (not that there is much of it!) it means the grapes were grown and the wine made in England. Fair enough.

If it says "British wine", it means that the wine was made in Britain, though the grapes could have been grown anywhere and shipped over, maybe as grapes, maybe as juice.

Fair labelling? I don't think so....

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:37 pm

stratman323 wrote:Something I heard a few years back surprised me. If a bottle says "English wine" (not that there is much of it!) it means the grapes were grown and the wine made in England. Fair enough.

If it says "British wine", it means that the wine was made in Britain, though the grapes could have been grown anywhere and shipped over, maybe as grapes, maybe as juice.

Fair labelling? I don't think so....
Have a look at fruit juice drinks...... some of them say "contains 10% fruit juice".... the rest is filler and sugar. BUT because it contains some, it can be labeled as fruit juice.