New (to me) Seymour Duncan DS-100

Discussion area for other MIJ Guitars

Moderator: ned

Post Reply
JVsearch
Guitar God
Posts: 2017
Joined: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:17 am
Location: Australia

Post by JVsearch » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:22 am

Do you get the out of phase (hum cancelling) sounds in positions 2 and 4?

If so then the middle pickup will be reverse wound and reverse polarity. If that "R" means RWRP then I guess it indicates a set with a RWRP middle pickup?
Totally biased towards Japanese made guitars.

Len
Guitar God
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:59 am
Location: Hamburg / Germany

Post by Len » Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:47 am

soundcreation wrote:
Len wrote:Hey soundcreation,

the pickups you show are Duncan SSL-1s (identified by the 1 in the label)
R is the first letter of the winder?s name, so nothing to do with the model.

I wonder that the duncan support wouldn?t tell you that.

I have a set with exactly the same 1R sticker and from 1988 :)...
They could be SSL - 1's that's true....but I'm skeptical about the name part.

The SD guy sent me a link to their pickup codes pre 2002 and the "r" designation isn't even on there.

Add to that other people on the internet have said it stands for "reverse" as in reverse wound.

If you look here there are a lot of pickups with 1 in them on a sticker that are not SSL 1.

I suspect everyone is guessing about this one.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/fa ... ls/labels/

But yes...based on the 1 and the triangle bottoms SSL 1 might be the best guess.

As I said...whatever they are...I LOVE them.
I know that link. And please believe me, they must be SSL-1s :)

Your?s can be identified like this:
STRAT PICKUPS
1 triangular bottom, staggered poles SSL-1 Vintage Staggered

and this is important:
Note that the last letter on your label is often the initial of the Seymour Duncan employee who made the pickup.

So, that?s where the "R" comes from.
I don?t know who "R" is but he wound a lot of SSL-1s .
If they had been wound by Obama you would have a set of 1O stickers :)

All other models with a 1 in the name are not vintage looking single coils!

The newer pickups don?t have the winder?s letter on them but a lot of 90s pickups still have.
The "R" reverse wound thing is wrong for these, it?s often said by people who sell single pickups on ebay and don?t know better. Probably because with the newer Duncan models there is a reverse wound pickup available.
But you don?t have 3 reverse wound pickups in one strat - that doesn?t make sense :)

These are mine , measuring around 5,9 to 6 kOhm , your?s too ?

Image

soundcreation
Guitar God
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:07 am

Post by soundcreation » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:06 am

JVsearch wrote:Do you get the out of phase (hum cancelling) sounds in positions 2 and 4?

If so then the middle pickup will be reverse wound and reverse polarity. If that "R" means RWRP then I guess it indicates a set with a RWRP middle pickup?
I don't know....I guess so....It doesn't make a lot of noise. LOL...honestly I don't really pay attention to that stuff very much...I just play. I'll pay attention next time I play it.

soundcreation
Guitar God
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:07 am

Post by soundcreation » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:14 am

Len wrote:
I know that link. And please believe me, they must be SSL-1s :)

Your?s can be identified like this:
STRAT PICKUPS
1 triangular bottom, staggered poles SSL-1 Vintage Staggered

and this is important:
Note that the last letter on your label is often the initial of the Seymour Duncan employee who made the pickup.

So, that?s where the "R" comes from.
I don?t know who "R" is but he wound a lot of SSL-1s .
If they had been wound by Obama you would have a set of 1O stickers :)

All other models with a 1 in the name are not vintage looking single coils!

The newer pickups don?t have the winder?s letter on them but a lot of 90s pickups still have.
The "R" reverse wound thing is wrong for these, it?s often said by people who sell single pickups on ebay and don?t know better. Probably because with the newer Duncan models there is a reverse wound pickup available.
But you don?t have 3 reverse wound pickups in one strat - that doesn?t make sense :)

These are mine , measuring around 5,9 to 6 kOhm , your?s too ?
As I said....SSL 1's does make the most sense.

As for the outputs I have no idea what so ever. I wouldn't have the first idea how to measure it. Like I said....I just know they sound fantastic. That's good enough for me!

soundcreation
Guitar God
Posts: 345
Joined: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:07 am

Post by soundcreation » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:53 pm

Well when I asked him whether the R meant someone's name or reverse wound I got this reply...


Yeah, as far as I remember, it just means that it's reverse wound. Here's a good resource on SD Labeling- http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/fa ... ls/labels/

Have a great day!

Keith Merrow
Customer Support
Seymour Duncan
5427 Hollister Ave
Santa Barbara, Ca. 93111
Email: keith.merrow@seymourduncan.com
www.seymourduncan.com
www.facebook.com/seymourduncanpickups
P: 805.964.9610 ext 1030 | F: 805-964.9749

Len
Guitar God
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:59 am
Location: Hamburg / Germany

Post by Len » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:29 am

I?m sorry but that support answer is pretty bad. He?s just guessing, not knowing. I?m sure you?d get a better answer from every other support employee.

For example here?s an 80s Jeff Beck Trembucker on ebay, model sticker "TB-4" but labelled "TB-4J" because wound by marcelia Juarez.
Often advertised as "better than others" because she now works in the custom shop :D
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271073441184

Also, there?s a list of duncan winders available here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Duncan

So your?s are SSL-1 wound by Connie Rocha back in the 80s / early 90s

But I agree with you - it?s killer looking strat and if it sounds and plays as nice as it looks that?s all you need 8)

jacaranda
I only know 3 chords
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:50 pm
Location: France

Post by jacaranda » Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:03 am

Beautiful guitars!
There's a nice DS-200 for sale at Ishibashi.

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:30 am

not as nice as mine..

200 and a 185

Image

Image

Len
Guitar God
Posts: 232
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:59 am
Location: Hamburg / Germany

Post by Len » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:22 pm

very nice!

is that ash or alder on the RW board strat ? beautiful grain !

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:36 pm

they are both ash, people love fender JV, but these are a different class, no-one knows about them really,

jacaranda
I only know 3 chords
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:50 pm
Location: France

Post by jacaranda » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:57 pm

Very nice indeed!
Your 200 reminds me of a Seymour Duncan I saw recently on Yahoo.
I think that they were called 185 at that time.
Can anybody confirm?

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:31 am

they were 185 then they changed to 200, this one has a DS200R sticker on the back

jacaranda
I only know 3 chords
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:50 pm
Location: France

Post by jacaranda » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:14 am

villager wrote:they were 185 then they changed to 200
Interesting. I thought they did it later.
I also believed that the DS200R were alder as shown in the link given by youami.
youami wrote:And here's the Seymour Duncan series on the ESP website from a few years ago:

http://web.archive.org/web/200108151105 ... index.html

villager
Guitar God
Posts: 3680
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere.. France.
Contact:

Post by villager » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:30 am

no idea when they did it, possibly same time as the navs went from 380 to 480? that catalogue is 2001, this is a 94 model, dont think its alder, also it may be that the 200 was the highest model in 1994 and was swampash, again who knows..



Image

jacaranda
I only know 3 chords
Posts: 24
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:50 pm
Location: France

Post by jacaranda » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:24 am

villager wrote:no idea when they did it, possibly same time as the navs went from 380 to 480? that catalogue is 2001, this is a 94 model, dont think its alder, also it may be that the 200 was the highest model in 1994 and was swampash, again who knows..
Personally, I don't. It's obviously swampash.
Yet, I may be mistaken, but according to soundcreation's checkcard, the highest model in 1992 was 250pro.
soundcreation wrote:Image
Very nice figure, anyway.

Post Reply