Hondo Strat *updated w/ pics*

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megid

Reaction score
Hi there,

I just recently obtained a Hondo Strat copy (traded it for GTA4 hehehe, thanks craigsilst!) and I would love some info on it. This thing seriously plays well, but I haven't had a chance to play it through my fender quad reverb yet... (thanks again craigslist!).

Here's some info; serial number is on a sticker on the back of the headstock with 5110094 on it, under that is a "U.S. patent no. 277,765" stamped on (forgot what the number is)... it's a bolt on neck, with a gold sticker above the bolts on the neck that is too scratched out to make anything out of it. The headstock has Hondo on it with the Hondo X-like logo with half of the X having lines on it.

I will have pics up soon, but hopefully there's someone that can help me out now. Thanks!

Oh yeah, there is also an open truss rod... 5 way selector, 3 pickups., eagle type headstock, maple neck with skunk stripe... again, I will try to have pics up asap.

Finally got some pics:

pic001.jpg

pic002.jpg

pic003.jpg

pic004.jpg

When HondoII guitars flooded the Aussie market back in the late '70's early '80's the pick of the range were the LP HondoII Deluxe coz they were the only model to have the Dimarzio pups as standard.
None of the strat models had Dimarzios.
I used to hate that butt ugly headstock so I never bought one...I stuck with the MiJ Emperador...normal strat style '70's headstock...they were around $199 brand new...the same tuners as the Hondo's...crap pups so they would always cop a new set.

Honestly, I like the way the headstock looks. It's different from all the rounded off ones you see everywhere. Also, if you look closely enough, you can see that one of the tuners is a dime. The head of the peg fell off god knows when, so I just soldered a dime onto it.... same with the pickup selector. So, I named the guitar Roosevelt.

If anyone is interested in what it is, the guys at vintaxe I think identified it:

http://www.vintaxe.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=1449

Back