less is more!!! especially in Texas

Area for Tokai's older than 1985

Moderators: ian, ned

kmarccoco
Guitar God

less is more!!! especially in Texas

Post by kmarccoco » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:18 am

jimmy has been thought to be fond of vintage tokais i have heard, but not 100% sure. none the less, these two guys are the perfect example of less notes is more!! and the vintage strat sound is what tokai was after in the beggining. :)

jimmy vaughn,

http://youtube.com/watch?v=GJz_UNYf6io

anson funderburgh

http://youtube.com/watch?v=sxFEAtqwofs

http://youtube.com/watch?v=a0J9tk8oZ-s

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:38 am

Ah, the two masters of minimalism and taste..... Can never see too much of these guys :P .

Jimmie's 2 main Strats, plus the fact that I was very unimpressed with the Fender (Mexico) Jimmie Vaughan signature Strats, were the main inspiration for these 2 babies - people who hate relic guitars just don't look!

No, they're not Fenders! It should be easy for anyone who has read my earlier posts to work out what they were originally, but they're great guitars. :P

Mike

kmarccoco
Guitar God

Post by kmarccoco » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:15 am

I like them... :)

joukov
Guitar God

Post by joukov » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:57 am

I liked the Fender Jimmie Vaughan Tex-Mex Strat when I had it. Best mexican guitar I've played.

Rossi
Guitar God

Post by Rossi » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:17 pm

Sorry but i would never buy a Mexican Fender guitar

JohnA
Guitar God

Post by JohnA » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:01 pm

Rossi wrote:Sorry but i would never buy a Mexican Fender guitar
After mr first Columbus LP copy I said I would never buy a Japanese guitar again! Now I have loads of them!

If you look at the quality of Mexican Fenders compared to 5 years ago they have come on heaps! Never say Never :D

BTW Very cool guitars Mike, It's funny I like the relic look, but if I ding one of mine it really upsets me.

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:26 pm

Well that's one advantage of taking a relic to a gig or rehearsal - if it gets an extra dent or two, it's not a problem. If I dent my Springy though, it would probably dent it's value too. :P

Mike

kmarccoco
Guitar God

Post by kmarccoco » Tue Nov 13, 2007 4:13 pm

my old bandmate got ahold of a jimmy vaughn strat and did a real nice relic job to it.

he gave it to me to set up and mabey add a good steel block, and botique pickups for tone improvement.

it sounded soo good, i gave it back the next day telling him not to do anything too it because it sounded that good! :P

but i have played others that didnt sound that good.. guess theyre all different..

ochay
Guitar God

Post by ochay » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:17 am

I like the Relic look too. But their still just Strats :oops:
Guitar Farmer !

marcusnieman
Guitar God

Post by marcusnieman » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:47 am

Anson, Delbert McClinton and Jimmie at a benefit for the late Sam Myers (singer of Anson's band - Anson Funderburgh and the Rockets).

FYI....it's spelled Vaughan - not Vaughn. I also own one of his Mexi Strats and I'll put it up against any off the rack standard American Strat, any day. Puts a few MIJ Strats to shame too.....

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:52 am

ochay wrote:I like the Relic look too. But their still just Strats :oops:
And, by definition, the most versatile and popular guitar ever made. Well nobody has ever claimed that the ugly old Les Paul was a design classic, have they? :P

Mike

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:02 am

It's interesting that people defend the JLV Strats. I really wanted to like them, and buy one, but the worst feature (for me) was the thick, plasticky finish. There's poly and there's poly, but the JLV Strats seem to have a thick coating of something very artificial. And the pickups were nothing special either. If I had to buy a Fender signature Strat, I'd go for the Robert Cray model, they somehow feel and sound better to me.

As you might have guessed, my two are of Japanese origin, with Seymour Duncan pickups, and I'd happily put the Sunburst one up against a JLV Strat or many of the Custom Shop relics (I own a CS relic Tele). Having a worn-feeling fingerboard, with a thin coating of nitro, does wonders for the feel.

Still, good job we're all different. :P I wonder if Jimmie gets a royalty for each of "his" Strats that are sold?

Mike

JohnA
Guitar God

Post by JohnA » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:09 am

stratman323 wrote:
ochay wrote:I like the Relic look too. But their still just Strats :oops:
And, by definition, the most versatile and popular guitar ever made. Well nobody has ever claimed that the ugly old Les Paul was a design classic, have they? :P

Mike
Do you just come on this forum to try and start fights? :wink:

stratman323

Post by stratman323 » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:11 am

JohnA wrote:Do you just come on this forum to try and start fights? :wink:
Who wants to know? :evil: :evil: :evil:

:lol:

I'm only stating facts, John...

Mike

kmarccoco
Guitar God

Post by kmarccoco » Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:36 am

jimmy and anson on stage! what a treat..

marcusnieman, there is a guy from Edgewood that has a great myspace page. you probably know him!!! teebeeferris. great stuff :D

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =153191245