Pickup feedback...noise = cheap electronics?

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Didsomeonesaylespaul?

Reaction score
Hey guys, My 79 Reborn was delivered today, and it's very nice! It would be perfect except for the fact that the pickups feedcack at higher volumes.
I often rest my palm on the strings - directly over the bridge, but the moment I make contact with the strings the pickup starts to feedback. I have the same problem with a Burny I picked up a month ago. Any ideas on what might cause this? I've checked the wiring for loose connections and broken solder joints, but I don't see anything that looks like it might be the problem. I don't think it's a ground because there is no "hum"..and I don't know that I would buy the idea that the pickups are hot, so I'm in need of some help.
Any help would be most appreciated.

Joe

sounds like they need to be potted in wax. If it's a "squealing" sort of hi-pitched feedback then it is microphonic feedback due to a vibration/lack of potting.

Are you also touching the pick guard? It could be static electricity. Seriously, rub a dryer sheet over it and see if it goes away.

Back