Reborn in the House

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GStormcrow

Reaction score
Its here :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Holy Moly its more than I expected. I'm too excited to post a big long thing but believe me when I say it is gooooood. Its in superb condition. Hardly a hairline scratch on it. Lovely green lined tokai case. My amp will be here in an hour or two for definite too so I can really check out the sound of it

More reports in a while

:p :p :p

Heaven

Thanks everyone for all the advice and thanks togps for such an amazing guitar

OK, so far so good 8) . You mean you haven't plugged it until amp arrives, right? OK, update us when you fire it up :-? .

Ian.

Thank Christ for that!! Not before time either. I can't imagine the adrenaline level as you opened it. I dont think you'll need to plug it in to know - it will have a nice loud, crisp sustaining ring to it. Why dont you blast it through the Fender anyhow?

Really glad you got it OK after all - congratulations! :D :D :D

What was the first lick or whatever?

I always use an amp with electrics, best way I reckon :wink: .

Ian.

No pics yet. Typical its the first time I cant find the camera. Anyway I played it through my roland ac60 and wow. When played clean with a little chorus I get an absolute beautiful sound similar to the chorus style of guns n roses at the start of knocking on heavens door. Peavey arrived tonight but I was out so its in the neighbours house (He'll drop it in tomorrow). I tried a Boss Heavy Metal with it through the amp and it sounds so good but I cant wait to try out the valve distortion. The sustain is killer. I played the two solos from Emerald first then the slow solo from knockin on heavens door a la GnR.

There is someting that is niggling me though. Havent come across it before so I'm not sure what's causing it. When unplugged and striking the B string. There is no sustain. If I bend it and hold it higher the sustain returns. Otherwise it's a very short note. Also when plugged in and striking the notes downward on 5 of the strings the sustain is normal. But an upstroke on the B string and G string is very quiet and almost muted with no sustain

Any ideas? I was thinking it might just be the string but I think they are a clean new set of strings

Hey Jim ? ha, I thought someone would say that, quote ? ?I dunno, Ian... If it sounds like a turd acoustically it just sounds like a louder turd plugged in?... :lol: Well I respect your opinion, & you?re in good company because everyone says that. But not me lol. :)

May seem like an appealing idea ??more acoustic tone = more amplified tone??, but of course it?s wrong (or at least it doesn't work that way). I did start to write a lengthy scientific explanation of what I think?s happening, but? Nah, this is a music forum & music is all about subjective opinion ? I just say, if it?s electric then plug it in & asses it that way (if I wanted acoustic I?d buy a Martin or something) lol. :-?

Ian.

GStormcrow said:
When unplugged and striking the B string. There is no sustain. If I bend it and hold it higher the sustain returns. Otherwise it's a very short note. Also when plugged in and striking the notes downward on 5 of the strings the sustain is normal. But an upstroke on the B string and G string is very quiet and almost muted with no sustain
Check the saddle and bridge for any deeper carves that might hinder the string to vibrate properly. You can clean the carves with a sharp knife, but not too deep... ;)

Thanks. I'll take off the offending string in a while and have a look. The Peavey came today. Absolutely love it

I fixed the problem with the B string. Just loosened it. Cleaned out the nut and then adjusted the saddle. There was a little bump in the groove so I smoothed it down. Now works perfect and sounds sweet as a nut. Togps do you know what gauge string is on the guitar at the moment?

Whaddayamean 'you were out last night' - she must have been pretty special :lol:pics next and stop all this GnR stuff :wink: Yeah Ian - I know , an amp does help a bit. Especially a baby Marshall. :evil:

Thanks. Yeah it came to 4pm and I figured the amp wasnt coming so I went out. Got home around 1am and checked the tracking online to see it had been delivered at 7pm (very late for a delivery company) and that it had been left in with my neighbour so I only got the amp this afternoon. Gorgeous sound both clean and with overdrive. Still no sign of my camera. Hope I didnt lose it. I'll get some sounds recorded this week and put them up too

Have you come down yet SC? What about those fret ends? Weight and general feel?
C'mon. :wink:

Well I've been busy the last few days moving into a smaller room so I can use my bedroom as my music/pc/recording room. Its much bigger but its a lot better now. Still cant find my digi camera so no more pics unfortunately for the moment

The guitar is a lot heavier than what I was used to but I'll get used to it. The sound and general feel is a dream. Heavenly. I love the sound I'm getting through my new tube amp as well.

The fret ends. Well here's a pic. Not sure if its what you're looking for but anyway the metal doesnt go over the binding. The binding comes up to meet it at the edge of the wood. Is that what you mean?

http://img58.imageshack.us/my.php?image=f33398916lespaulrebornls809lar.jpg

I have been messing around with my recording gear today and have a sound sample for those who want a listen. I am playing it through my Peavey Classic 50 which is set to Rock setting in the manual with post turned up a little higher. Treble pickup selected. Recorded through Shure SM57 into a Digidesign Mbox and pro tools. I'm still a noob to the whole recording process and dont really know how to edit but sure I think the clip gives a general idea of the sound. Let me know what you think (guitar wise its not great as I havent played electric in over a year but I'm learning again fairly quick) ;)

Emerald By Thin Lizzy

Hi there GSC, yes - thats what I meant about the frets, which threw me a bit when I discovered it as Gibsons cover the nib end with the binding. I wonder why they did it like this? Get those pics up!
Liked "Emerald" - very gritty! Are you Robbo or Gorham? If your not used to a 'Paul they can seem heavy - just play it sitting down!

Thanks. I've either lost my camera or I left it down in the country where I stay. I wont know until I go back down to check. I like scott gorham personally. Though I also like Gary Moore as well and have some of his solo stuff. But I'm just a big Lizzy fan in general being from Ireland. My dad used to live on the same road as Phil and he grew up listening to them so it was inevitable I'd like them when I started playing.

They just unveiled a commemmoration (sp?) statue of Phil in Dublin City yesterday. Here are some pics with his mother Philomena

http://www.hotpress.com/photos/view_album.adp?a=2821264

In other news. I've just bought a Maxon OD808 pedal to give that little bit extra needed for the solos. They are a bit flat in that recording. I'll do a better recording when I get the pedal

Back