Pickup Change

Tokai Forum

Help Support Tokai Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Downing

Reaction score
I posted a comment, more to myself than anyone else, a few days ago when I was considering selling my 1984 Goldstar Sunburst - but I just can't get around to actually selling this guitar. It's so nice in terms of how it feel and plays, and the general sound of it suggests that I should be considering new pickups and electrics. The current pickups (which actually have black fibre bases - so what are they?) are just not quite there compared to a couple of Fenders I get to hear when I'm teaching. So I'm considering something like a '54 set of replacements from Fralin / SD / DiMarzio or even a set of same but stacked HB's. So many pros use stacked HB's there must be something in it - it's got to be more than just quieter. And maybe a hotter bridge PU like the DiMarzio V Vintage Solo stack.

As I could keep the current PU /electircs and none of this would much change the guitar's basic construction (I'm not about to put a full size HB at the bridge). I'm really considering building a complete pickguard drop-in with new switch and pots as these are definately worse on this guitar than a USA Strat.

Is this all heresy guys or does someone out there know the route - I'm thinking quiet, classic 54 and hotter bridge and better pots and switch - I can make a scratchplate that will exactly match the screwholes (been there with a jazz bass, drilling new holes and all that!) Anyone tried Fralin, SD, and DiMarzio - or other options (build your own PUs?)

Chris Downing said:
Anyone tried Fralin, SD, and DiMarzio - or other options (build your own PUs?)
I don't have a Tokai Strat (my friend once owned a very good one from the '80s with a golden finish which was then stolen), but built a 1-piece maple hardtail copy with 3 Seymour Duncans SSL-1 some 20 years ago. I think they are supposed to be replicas of a '54 or '59 pickup, don't remember. Anyhow, they sound quite warm and full with nice harmonic overtones, so not the typical "pling" sound of a Stratocaster... :wink: Oh yes, they hum of course...

Hi Chris ? if the pups aren?t stamped on the base (U, V, E etc.) then they?re probably replacements of some unknown kind, in which case they might well be crap. But before buying new pups, I?d try re-setting everything ? I have various views on set-up & pickups, but maybe not all fit for public consumption lol?.I think you were going to PM me on that?

Ian.

Everyone likes to get in on the act when you post some pictures and ask, "What's this all about?" Well hare are the guts of my Goldstar Sound. No identifying labels or manufacturing marks on the cavity. No letters on the PUs. I'd like to know what they are so I'd know if changing them would make the guitar better - say some Fralin '54's or whatever.

http://cocktail-rock.com/new_page_4_copy(7).htm

If you click on each thumbnail they'll enlarge and download a bigger 700K photo.

I'm pretty happy with two Duncan vintage staggered's (neck and middle) and a Duncan Cool Rails in the bridge of my '84 (I think) AST '62. I know this isn't a purist perspective but I've never been able to make a single coil in the bridge position work. They just cut my head off! You have to roll the tone way off then everything else is too muddy. Something with some humbucking character in the bridge works better for me, plus it is way more versatile.

I've also installed a Torres bluescaster wiring harness which has some different tone controls and also a blender pot in the 2nd tone position. The blender lets you mix the bridge and neck (or really any two depending on how you wire it). The 2nd switch position (between bridge and middle) with a little neck blended in sounds killer. Lots of quack! I've got a similar set-up in my Fender Am Std, with a different pickup selection. Honestly I don't remember what I've got for single coils in that anymore, but the bridge is a DiMarzio Pro Track, which a really like and it looks sweet with the black finish. I really didn't like the Texas Specials it came with, and btw wasn't too impressed with the stock Tokai's either.

Anyway that's what works for me!

Back