prices going up...ls 80

Area for Tokai's older than 1985

Moderators: ian, ned

tokaiguy
Guitar God

Post by tokaiguy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:38 am

:o Ian, Get a copy of "Tres Hombres"from 74' thats the Billy G I'm talking about. I never liked the MTV stuff with the synths and drum machines. The trilogy that opens "Tres" is worth the price ...I believe you will be converted. :wink: When its just the three of them playing together it's really good! For live examples see "Fandango" one side is live and the other in the studio. My favorite tones come from the hands of Bill Nelson and Gary Moore...but thats just my opinion! "you can meet me in the Air-age if you like"TG

Hot Rod
Guitar God

Post by Hot Rod » Sun Aug 14, 2005 9:43 am

Get "FANDANGO", listen to BLUE JEAN BLUES :D BEST LES PAUL TONE ever!!!! :wink:

Hot ROD :wink:

Sorry, no guitar god but just a humble blues player and LS 120 owner :wink :wink:

tokaiguy
Guitar God

Post by tokaiguy » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:23 pm

:o What can I say when you've said it all! 8) TG

theskywolf
Guitar God

Post by theskywolf » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:05 pm

Oh yeah, I can support that too. You just have to get an old ZZ-Top LP (OK, it's CD now. I know :wink: ) for THAT LP tone!!!!!

Hot Rod
Guitar God

Post by Hot Rod » Sun Aug 14, 2005 3:08 pm

[quote="tokaiguy"]:o What can I say when you've said it all! 8) TG[/quote]http://www.stevemoore.addr.com/hotnews.html#Feedback

...by the way: here's a rare picture of very young Billy G. performing with 2 Marshall Stacks and a Firebird I :wink:

Just scroll down the page a bit and you 'll find that picture.

This could be also interesting to Hans-J?rgen 8)

hans-j?rgen
Guitar God

Post by hans-j?rgen » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:27 am

Hot Rod wrote:http://www.stevemoore.addr.com/hotnews.html
...by the way: here's a rare picture of very young Billy G. performing with 2 Marshall Stacks and a Firebird I :wink:
Thanks for the link, I didn't know this site yet.

By the way, "Blue Jean Blues" is very likely the neck pickup of either a Strat or Tele, not a Les Paul. :wink: And while I'm at counting peas again, if anyone wants to listen to the old recordings, he should not use the usual CDs, because they had been remixed to sound more modern for the "Sixpack" release back then. But luckily there is a rather new double CD box where they use the original master tapes from the old sessions, and that one sounds really fine, like the vinyl LPs or even better. One exception to this is the live side of "Fandango" which I like better in the Sixpack remix, because there they didn't add any reverb etc. and only transferred the great stage and audience sound to the CD, obviously from a better source than the new double CD release.
Last edited by hans-j?rgen on Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen
BLUEZZ BASTARDZZ "That lil' ol' ZZ Top cover band from Hamburg"
INDIGO ROCKS "Down home rockin' blues. Tasty as strudel"

ian
Guitar God

Post by ian » Mon Aug 15, 2005 12:31 am

Hi TG ? yeah I don?t know why I never listened to ZZ Top, not intentional, just one of those strange omissions ? I?ll try to give that stuff a listen ? agree about Bill Nelson of course ? if we?re just talking tone then I also liked Mick Ronsons tone on Bowie Ziggy Stardust LP, and also the guitar on Curved Air LP ?Air Cut? (eg track called ?Armin?) ? just mention those as examples that guys wouldn?t normally consider ? more later, rushing to catch flight now, back next Saturday (ha,? means you all be mercifully free of my mindless drivel for week, yeeha!). :)

Ian.

spikeymikey
Guitar God

The Rev.

Post by spikeymikey » Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:41 am

Where you bin', Ian. I like the intro to "Brown Sugar" and ALL of "Sure got cold after the Rain Fell" - check the first two albums - the cover of the first is a nice shot of..... think its an LS80 or something....in sepia :wink:
Ronson is incredibly underrated - check "White light/White heat" and "Lifes so short please Woman....." from his solo stuff. Killer use of Wah - Wah, the guitar literally screams with emotion. Nobody looked cooler either! Yeah, Bill Nelson was good too. I used to do "Maid in Heaven and "Sister Seagull" in my first band -it was bloody awfull!
What about Bolan? :-? :wink: :wink: :wink: